Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Everythinganna, If I had only known! I am going for an infusion tomorrow. This s not fun. Hopefully, the infusion will help.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:43 PM, gabybab said:

Hi everyone. Yesterday marked 8 weeks post-op. I'm doing ok and have lost about 44 lbs. However, I have only lost about 2.5 of that in almost 28 days.

I went to the PA last Friday and she said I was where they want me to be. She wants me to exercise and I have not since surgery, other than walking shopping etc.

I'm eating more and am doing about 1000 calories. I asked the PA and she said, yes, that's where you should be.

I'm so worried because I don't want to fail, but 800, like some do, is not enough for me. I eat Protein like I'm supposed to do. I have nibbled a bit, but nothing scary. Is anyone else where I am?

Do I need to cut calories? I can't figure put why I'm not losing more.

Also, anyone with diabetes still having to take medication? I'm averaging about 145 in the morning while taking 8-20 units of insulin only. My endo told me to skip meds if I'm 180 or under for dinner and Breakfast. So far I've only had to take glimeperide one time this week. Hoping it will continue to drop. After surgery it was over 200 for the first month.

Thanks all!

Gabybab--Are you a Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic? I am type 1, so I'll have to be on insulin the rest of my life, but I'm so happy to report that I'm off Metformin and have reduced my injections of long-acting insulin from 78 units a day to 28 units a day and my short-acting from up to 15 units to no more than 6 units per meal (often a lot less). This is by far my biggest success given insulin stores fat and I was in a horrific habit of injecting more insulin so that I could eat more carbs. NOT a good cycle to be in. Next month I'm due for an HbA1c check and am eager to see if I've come down from 7.9 just before surgery.

As for calorie intake, I think I'm eating about 700ish calories a day. I have a Protein Shake in the morning, about 15 green olives as a snack in the late morning, a Kind (protein) bar for lunch, and usually chicken for dinner. I usually also have another Protein shake before bed. I need to get in more vegetables as I'm not getting any in, but I do like having the olives as a snack. The "good" fat oil from the olives seems to help my Constipation issue (along with the Fiber gummies). If you like olives and do not have an issue with sodium, consider eating those as a snack---very low in calories.

As for exercise...I try to get in 5,000 steps per day. I'm not a fan of exercise so this is a big deal from me and a change from my previous lifestyle!

On 4/23/2019 at 10:11 PM, Recidivist said:

For the men in the February club: How saggy is your skin? (I ask the men because we lose weight and sag differently from women.) I'm only seven weeks out, and already my stomach is a wrinkled mess that looks like a melting candle, and I'm developing a serious neck wattle. (I caught a glimpse of my next in the rear view mirror today and it frightened me.) I'm still waiting to see what my man-boobs look like when they deflate. I never thought I would do skin removal surgery, but I'm beginning to think I might.

OK, not a guy, but I am noticing that my neck is looking very wrinkly. I took a selfie today and thought my face has more lines and wrinkles too. My arms are starting to look saggy. I think I'll have saggy skin around my thighs and gut as well. I wonder if it's possible to firm things up with weight lifting, etc., but I fear the answer might be no. Oh no.

The Ursodiol is pretty commonly prescribed and it commonly causes nausea.
I too started taking it only to D/C it after a couple weeks.
I’ve still got most of my 90 day supply and am thinking about trying again when I hit 3 months post.
I guess if I have to have my gall bladder removed, then I’ll have to have it removed.
🤷‍♀️

On 04/25/2019 at 17:48, Gottajustdoit said:

OK, not a guy, but I am noticing that my neck is looking very wrinkly. I took a selfie today and thought my face has more lines and wrinkles too. My arms are starting to look saggy. I think I'll have saggy skin around my thighs and gut as well. I wonder if it's possible to firm things up with weight lifting, etc., but I fear the answer might be no. Oh no.

Count me in as also not a guy, but also thinking I’m going to experience these same issues.
If I stand with arms by my side and legs right next to each other, I can see where some skin is starting to “collect”
Also I think my face looks more saggy- in the way a deflated balloon does.
Lol, the only positive from being a breast cancer survivor is I had the girls reduced 9 years ago, so I’m not worried about any sag there at least.

I’ll take it though as long as the weight continues to come off

21 minutes ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Gabybab--Are you a Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic? I am type 1, so I'll have to be on insulin the rest of my life, but I'm so happy to report that I'm off Metformin and have reduced my injections of long-acting insulin from 78 units a day to 28 units a day and my short-acting from up to 15 units to no more than 6 units per meal (often a lot less). This is by far my biggest success given insulin stores fat and I was in a horrific habit of injecting more insulin so that I could eat more carbs. NOT a good cycle to be in. Next month I'm due for an HbA1c check and am eager to see if I've come down from 7.9 just before surgery.

As for calorie intake, I think I'm eating about 700ish calories a day. I have a Protein Shake in the morning, about 15 green olives as a snack in the late morning, a Kind (protein) bar for lunch, and usually chicken for dinner. I usually also have another Protein shake before bed. I need to get in more vegetables as I'm not getting any in, but I do like having the olives as a snack. The "good" fat oil from the olives seems to help my Constipation issue (along with the Fiber gummies). If you like olives and do not have an issue with sodium, consider eating those as a snack---very low in calories.

As for exercise...I try to get in 5,000 steps per day. I'm not a fan of exercise so this is a big deal from me and a change from my previous lifestyle!

You are doing fabulous. Congrats!

I am type 2. However, my blood sugar is normalizing. I'm on nothing during the day and 8-20 units of Lantus at night. My fasting bs and evening one is averaging about 140. The endo said not to take glimeperide if the sugars are under 180. I'm hoping to come off all meds sooner or later.

@Sherribear how long were you nauseous after you stopped taking the Ursodil? I stopped a week ago. Cant even stand the smell of food. The sugar free popsicle even bothered me and that is my go to! Hoping it gets better with the infusion tomorrow.

44 minutes ago, gabybab said:

You are doing fabulous. Congrats!

I am type 2. However, my blood sugar is normalizing. I'm on nothing during the day and 8-20 units of Lantus at night. My fasting bs and evening one is averaging about 140. The endo said not to take glimeperide if the sugars are under 180. I'm hoping to come off all meds sooner or later.

Thanks! I think you will eventually be off ALL medication for diabetes. 🙂

1 hour ago, Gottajustdoit said:

I'm having the same thing... I hate it. I think I'm going to be saggy all over but to be honest I think I'd rather have a facelift than a Tummy Tuck.

15 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

I am seeing the same thing with my face. I have been a Botox user for almost 15 years but I am not very good about keeping it up and just have done it off and on. I have not had it in quite a while and with the weight-loss I just look like I have aged. At this point I’m thinking I’ll wait till I lose more weight and then speak to a surgeon to see if a facelift is something I may pursue. There are other issues I need to take care of first so that would be highly unlikely that I would pursue a facelift but I’m just kind of curious to hear what they would tell me in a consultation.

15 hours ago, Goody222 said:

@Sherribear how long were you nauseous after you stopped taking the Ursodil? I stopped a week ago. Cant even stand the smell of food. The sugar free popsicle even bothered me and that is my go to! Hoping it gets better with the infusion tomorrow.

Good luck today with your infusion!

14 hours ago, froufrou said:

I'm having the same thing... I hate it. I think I'm going to be saggy all over but to be honest I think I'd rather have a facelift than a Tummy Tuck.

I just read your comment after I posted mine. We seem to think a lot alike! Maybe we can get BOGO facelifts

Getting a later start than normal on my eating for the day, but making up for it with 25gm Protein for breakfast/lunch.

Here’s to a protein-filled happy Friday to everyone

image-0.00405311584472656.jpg

On 04/25/2019 at 18:17, Goody222 said:

Hard to remember, but not more than a day.
It made me nauseated for a few hours after I took it (which sucks when you’re supposed to take something twice daily) but I would get over it in a few hours.
On a side note... I’m probably not the best person to ask because I really don’t get nauseated very easily and when I do I get over it quickly.
If I throw up, it’s a major-serious deal and I’m probably a step away from needing to go to the ER if that happens

Hope all goes well with the infusion!

38 minutes ago, Sheribear68 said:

Hard to remember, but not more than a day.
It made me nauseated for a few hours after I took it (which sucks when you’re supposed to take something twice daily) but I would get over it in a few hours.
On a side note... I’m probably not the best person to ask because I really don’t get nauseated very easily and when I do I get over it quickly.
If I throw up, it’s a major-serious deal and I’m probably a step away from needing to go to the ER if that happens

Hope all goes well with the infusion!

Thank you. I feel so much better, 3 hours of fluids an Vitamins. I even ate half a cup of chicken noodle Soup.