Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

I also eat several per day. My nutritionist didn't say anything one way or the other, but they haven't given me any problems.

Might be a little high in Sodium content, check your can or jar.

On 4/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, 2Bsmaller18 said:

I just went to the nutritionist yesterday for 8 week post op. In my program I cna now begin veggies. They suggest cooked initally then a few dyas later try that vegetable raw. She said lettuce esp. ice berg is the last thing to try. I guess the strings in it cna cause issues. She also siad that can happen with celery and asparagus. I had cooked spinach without issue but I wont tyr it raw for a few more weeks. Was this the first time you had lettuce?

It was first salad & before 7 weeks postop. Thank you! I will wait til 3 months post before next salad.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:26 AM, Gottajustdoit said:

Thanks for sharing. I can't believe how much I've been discussing my bodily functions with my family since the surgery. I have yet to have "southern dumping" but I've had the nausea and dry heaving and yes, the profuse sweating. Not fun! I would start off with a white, flaky fish. I have had tilapia a few times (just a few bites) and had no problem. Has anyone had steak yet (very tender, like filet)? If so, did it stay down?

Hahaha. I know exactly what you mean! Haven’t had steak per say...Does bulgogi count? I had some. It was very tender but still required decent amount of chewing.

On 4/15/2019 at 4:26 PM, Gottajustdoit said:

Group--what are you thoughts on sugar-free candy? For the past several weeks I have had about 4 to 5 sugar-free hard candies during the day. I know they contain sugar alcohols and I am wondering if any of your NUTs have advised against them. They satisfy me between meals and when I feel like I want to eat out of boredom (not hunger). They are a quick fix for me in these situations. I have no issue with a laxative effect as I'm only eating a few. Thoughts?

Haven’t tried sugar-free candies but my NUT has supported sugar-free Snacks after daily Protein goal achieved so why not sugar free candy is my thought? With allergy season here, I’ve had 2-3 cough/throat drops daily the past few days and likely will continue over next few more days.

Bulgogi- is that the Korean BBQ/grilled beef? If it is, it sounds luscious. Did you get it as restaurant food @SleevednowAK or was it homemade? I usually enjoy Oriental-type things, haven't done any restaurant- ing since my surgery., Weird isn't it, I no longer have. a raging appetite but a lot of things sound so good in theory!
Felt a little sorry for the Bari- pal the other day for trying to sneak a Reeses Peanut Butter Egg. One bite, said it tasted like Yucky, that bite and the rest of the Egg, right into the trash! Guess that means I'm better off not listening to Brain Prompts!😝🍛🍷🍜

Sorry I’ve been gone a couple of days guys.
Bulgogi was one of my all-time faves, but watch the sugars... it’s loaded.
Maybe it’s time to try to find a low-sugar alternative. 🤔

Re: sugar-free candies.
Even as a young person, my body doesn’t respond well to artificial sweeteners of any kind.
They either make me feel slightly headachy or nauseous and in the long run they stimulate my hunger. I think it’s head hunger that the “fake” sweet stimulates so I try to avoid artificial at all costs.
The only exception is a small bit of stevia that I sometimes put in coffee. I’ve only done that 3 times since surgery as coffee and me aren’t the best of friends (even though I miss it dearly).

Well after my scale victory last week in losing over 3 pounds, this week was kinda “meh”.
I managed to drop 2.0, which is slightly disappointing but normal for me now.
Still waiting for that magical “whoosh” week.
Still I’ll take the 2 pounds and now I officially have 5.4 more to lose til I get to ONEderland.
Sadly I’m thinking I won’t hit that milestone by May. Guess I’m going to be the poster child for slow and steady gets it done also. Emphasis on “slooooooooow”. 😩😩

Non-scale victory:
Monday I did back-to-back Pilates classes, which is something I wouldn’t have fathomed being able to do 2 months ago and I hit a local consignment store that specializes in high-end clothing and had an appointment with a personal shopper.
Sent her my current clothing size and a photo from last week and explained my transitioning and she was able to select some things that are 1-2 sizes below what I wear now. The amazing part was that I was able to tug on a pair of size 14 pants from Ann Taylor over my hips and I bet they fit like they should by June.
I can’t remember the last time I wore size 14 anything.
I was shocked at how much fun it was to try on new things and my hour session just flew by.

I ended up with several career pieces for summer and even splurged on a couple pair of workout pants and tops.

Maybe it’s time to try to find a low-sugar alternative. [emoji848]

Even as a young person, my body doesn’t respond well to artificial sweeteners of any kind.
They either make me feel slightly headachy or nauseous and in the long run they stimulate my hunger. I think it’s head hunger that the “fake” sweet stimulates so I try to avoid artificial at all costs.
The only exception is a small bit of stevia that I sometimes put in coffee. I’ve only done that 3 times since surgery as coffee and me aren’t the best of friends (even though I miss it dearly).

Well after my scale victory last week in losing over 3 pounds, this week was kinda “meh”.
Still I’ll take the 2 pounds and now I officially have 5.4 more to lose til I get to ONEderland.
Sadly I’m thinking I won’t hit that milestone by May. Guess I’m going to be the poster child for slow and steady gets it done also. Emphasis on “slooooooooow”. [emoji30][emoji30]

Non-scale victory:
Monday I did back-to-back Pilates classes, which is something I wouldn’t have fathomed being able to do 2 months ago and I hit a local consignment store that specializes in high-end clothing and had an appointment with a personal shopper.
Sent her my current clothing size and a photo from last week and explained my transitioning and she was able to select some things that are 1-2 sizes below what I wear now. The amazing part was that I was able to tug on a pair of size 14 pants from Ann Taylor over my hips and I bet they fit like they should by June.
I was shocked at how much fun it was to try on new things and my hour session just flew by.

I ended up with several career pieces for summer and even splurged on a couple pair of workout pants and tops.

My Mom is Korean, she makes the best Bulgogi, and she uses NO sugar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

10 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Maybe it’s time to try to find a low-sugar alternative. 🤔

Sadly I’m thinking I won’t hit that milestone by May. Guess I’m going to be the poster child for slow and steady gets it done also. Emphasis on “slooooooooow”. 😩😩

Non-scale victory:

Congrats on the victories. My bet is that with all the pilates you are doing you are building muscle and we all know that muscle weighs more than fat so you're on the right track!

scale shmale. Mine is refusing to budge much. I'm losing about 1 pound a week. Not speedy at all. I've started planning a summer vacation with the family to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone/Red Lodge, MT---I used to get excited looking at recommended restaurants in the areas we vacationed, but it's so different now. I am now just looking at their menus online to make sure there is SOMETHING I can eat and enjoy with the family. PS: Good idea on the consignment shopping!

On 04/17/2019 at 12:24, Colchabay said:

My Mom is Korean, she makes the best Bulgogi, and she uses NO sugar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Omg. I NEED to have some bulgogi soon.
Seriously going to look into making some this weekend.
I’m also thinking cauliflower fried rice with it and loads of kimchi.

On 04/17/2019 at 19:20, Gottajustdoit said:

Congrats on the victories. My bet is that with all the pilates you are doing you are building muscle and we all know that muscle weighs more than fat so you're on the right track!

scale shmale. Mine is refusing to budge much. I'm losing about 1 pound a week. Not speedy at all. I've started planning a summer vacation with the family to Jackson Hole/Yellowstone/Red Lodge, MT---I used to get excited looking at recommended restaurants in the areas we vacationed, but it's so different now. I am now just looking at their menus online to make sure there is SOMETHING I can eat and enjoy with the family. PS: Good idea on the consignment shopping!

You might be right on the whole muscle thing.
I forgot to mention earlier that I worked with my instructor today and was able to do a plank on my reformer! Very empowering strength move and I’m glad I kept trying it.

Hubs and I are also planning a different kind of vacation.
Funny how the focus isn’t on the food as much as it will be about the activities.
We are going to Colorado Springs this June and I booked an Airbnb instead of hotel because I want a kitchen and an outdoor grill so we can eat like we normally do now post-surgery.

I’m doing things like looking at paddle boarding lessons, guided day long nature hikes and mountain yoga classes -most def not what I would’ve been looking at a year ago.
Who would’ve thought I would start to become that annoying fitness person who doesn’t care much about food and wants to go out of her way to find physical activity?

Weird

22 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Bulgogi- is that the Korean BBQ/grilled beef? If it is, it sounds luscious. Did you get it as restaurant food @SleevednowAK or was it homemade? I usually enjoy Oriental-type things, haven't done any restaurant- ing since my surgery., Weird isn't it, I no longer have. a raging appetite but a lot of things sound so good in theory!
Felt a little sorry for the Bari- pal the other day for trying to sneak a Reeses Peanut Butter Egg. One bite, said it tasted like Yucky, that bite and the rest of the Egg, right into the trash! Guess that means I'm better off not listening to Brain Prompts!😝🍛🍷🍜

Yes, Korean bbq😋. Had a lunch group meeting at a sushi house that offered bento boxes and it was the softest meat option and without having to explain why not eating sushi since many knew I cut out rice from my meals (packed most of it to go for husband to enjoy). Cravings are insane but spot on about it being mainly mental. Had a craving for frozen yogurt and after a couple tablespoons, lost interest. Bummer yet a win?! Wont complain.