Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Has anyone recognized their temperament has changed. I tend t be bothered easier or might make a snappy comment. I cannot say that I miss food that much, but if feels like the adjustment from 40 years of eating can be challenging.

I would say I've had bouts of being frustrated and that, compounded with my day-to-day stresses that are just part of my life, have made me a bit more edgy and testy now and then. I don't think it's a permanent thing--more of a dealing with too much at once sort of thing and feeling overwhelmed.

On a completely unrelated note, how do I start a new topic that goes just to our February group? When I want to click on start a new topic, it seems to go to the entire community. Not so savvy here.... Had I started a new topic, it would be to tell you all about a great alternative to bread I just discovered. I wanted something to spread my laughing cow cheese on or dip in an guacamole and black bean dip I made so I went on a search. I found this great option: https://www.outeraislegourmet.com/products/cauliflower-sandwich-thins. I just popped one in a toaster and got it a bit crispy, then spread the dip on it. I could eat about 3/4 of the round and about a Tblsp of the dip. Yummy!!! AND one thin is a full serving of veggies. I found them in the Gluten-free section of Wegmans after reading up on them online.

On 03/18/2019 at 17:42, TheMarine79 said:

Has anyone recognized their temperament has changed. I tend t be bothered easier or might make a snappy comment. I cannot say that I miss food that much, but if feels like the adjustment from 40 years of eating can be challenging.
This is going to sound weird maybe, but I think I’ve noticed, but can’t be sure that it’s food related.
Before surgery I always could tell when I needed to eat because I would get shaky and irritable and I could recognize those signs of low blood sugar, but now I think the hunger feels different and it’s somewhat difficult to recognize true hunger.

lol, I just realized I typed a whole paragraph that is a no -answer answer. 🤷‍♀️

On 03/18/2019 at 03:12, SleevednowAK said:

I spent my entire week 3 post-op on a family reunion, planned since 2017, cruise and boy oh boy was I challenged. food everywhere with 24/7 availability even room service. I’ve read alot of your posts about making proper food choices and the struggles with knowing when full which really helped me get through last week. My husband was supportive to help me keep up the charade (none of other family members know) by putting food he’d eat onto my plate while I kept to mainly my soft Protein based options. He was sneaky and ate from my plate as well (grateful he’s got a high metabolism and works out daily). Thank you everyone for sharing your stories! I feel guilty for only losing 1 lb in week 3 even though was very conscientious about my food portion but know I should not have taken a bite of dessert every evening just to look “normal”. Tomorrow is week 4 anniversary from 2/18 sleeve. I hope to be better off than this past week.

Omg. That’s so much worse than my nephews wedding weekend and there were parts of those 2 days where I thought I was gonna slap the next person who offered me food or an adult beverage.
I know how extremely difficult it was to navigate two days.... you have my utmost respect for doing it an entire week!

Oh and I’m willing to bet that the food you had didn’t hurt you too much. For some reason the losses absolutely suck on weeks 3 and 4 so please don’t mentally beat yourself up for anything

Okay so it’s time for my Monday progress report!

Week 5 going into week 6 and I’ve finally got a decent loss. Went from 220 down to 217.
First time I’ve lost more than a single pound in a week since week 2.
Let’s hope this is the start of a good losing trend. 

Total loss since surgery day on 2/6  is now 27 pounds. 

Marine, I actually find that I'm mellower and more patient right now, but that could be just because I'm so weak and don't have the energy to care.

Today was my first day back at work, and I almost made it. I had to leave after 7 hours because I was absolutely exhausted. I can tell when I'm fading because my voice gets very weak and scratchy. I found it a bit easier to stick to the diet at work because my day is so structured and I'm tempted by anything around the house.

1 hour ago, Gottajustdoit said:

I found this great option: https://www.outeraislegourmet.com/products/cauliflower-sandwich-thins. I just popped one in a toaster and got it a bit crispy, then spread the dip on it. I could eat about 3/4 of the round and about a Tblsp of the dip. Yummy!!! AND one thin is a full serving of veggies. I found them in the Gluten-free section of Wegmans after reading up on them online.

I love these. You can also find them in the frozen section of Whole Foods.

In other news, my weight loss has slowed again and I just don't get it. I am barely eating right now and what I do eat seems to come up. I can't seem to tolerate much beyond mushy food. I'm 6 weeks post op and should be able to eat solid, crunchy and spicy food. Is anyone else having this issue? I guess I should be thankful that I am not enjoying food right now... I guess this is part of my journey, but I seriously am finding eating so unenjoyable I can't even be bothered. And that is SO not like me.

9 minutes ago, froufrou said:

I love these. You can also find them in the frozen section of Whole Foods.

In other news, my weight loss has slowed again and I just don't get it. I am barely eating right now and what I do eat seems to come up. I can't seem to tolerate much beyond mushy food. I'm 6 weeks post op and should be able to eat solid, crunchy and spicy food. Is anyone else having this issue? I guess I should be thankful that I am not enjoying food right now... I guess this is part of my journey, but I seriously am finding eating so unenjoyable I can't even be bothered. And that is SO not like me.

Perhaps your metabolism is stalled because you're not eating anything? I have a colleague who stalled at around a year and was told she wasn't eating enough to actually lose anything. I know metabolism can slow waaaaay down when not eating. I haven't heard that this is a thing so soon after surgery, though. I'm in week five and have only lost about 3 lbs in the last three weeks, but I am eating some. I have a scrambled egg with a bit of cheddar late this morning and then the cauliflower thin with avocado/black Beans for dinner. I will be on Protein Shakes for Breakfast for a while I think...I can drink it on my long commute into work and it fills me up. So sorry that your food seems to be coming back up! Are you able to eat cottage cheese slowly? That was my starter food for a few days.

14 minutes ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Are you able to eat cottage cheese slowly? That was my starter food for a few days.

I bought some cottage cheese, but for some reason I just don't fancy it. I have been having some Soup, oatmeal and refried Beans. Everything else just hurts to eat. I really don't feel like I'm getting enough calories - I feel like a walking corpse and have so little energy. You are probably right - my metabolism is slowing. I see my surgeon on Wednesday - I will talk to him and see what he says, but I really don't want to have any more procedures, like stretching my pouch.

So, I just weighed myself, which I'm only doing once a week--and I gained two pounds in week 2. I can't tell you how discouraging that is. I have been doing everything right and haven't strayed from the plan once. I'm starting to regret having the surgery, but I'll try to stay optimistic and hope for the best next week.

Weigh yourself in the morning 😅

8 hours ago, TheMarine79 said:

Absolutely! I do my best not to snap back but when I’m being offered something and I politley decline but they persist, I often picture in my mind throwing the offer onto the ground and stomping on it until its pulverized. The image is statisfying. Goodness, the cruise did a number on me. Need to meditate.

Ended up throwing up my food twice yesterday. All I could manage was 6 cripsbreads (80 cals for 4) and half a cup of oatmeal.

Is this right at this stage of being 6 weeks out? I am feeling so drained.

11 hours ago, Dubchild said:

Weigh yourself in the morning 😅

That’s me, after using the restroom, usually with no heavy clothes. It’s how I weighed the first time, and ever since.

Im losing 0 to 0.2 pounds a day. I’m still only able to eat 1/2 egg in the morning. Night before last, daughter had a slumber party and I ate a whole breadstick (took me 2 sittings but I can eat larger quantities later in the day) so thought surely I had blown it but I’m down .2 pounds this morning. I do think eating (and pooping!) are important. The more I seem to eat the scale surprises me. Of course this is within the bounds of eating Tablespoon quantities.

Dr. told me that my bowel movements are “my responsibility”. Ever since then I have been taking Dulcolax every other day. I don’t go every day but as long as I go once in a while I feel much healthier.

Another fun time I’ve been having is that my car was broken into and someone stole my Percocet, which I have been taking daily for one year, since an accident I was involved in where I was ejected on to the concrete. I have such bad back pain, broken vertebrae, Multiple herniated disc’s and they are looking towards finally doing surgery now.

So not eating food, Being in pain, (and to some degree) going through minor opioid withdrawal’s has been a blast!! Good times, good times! :)