Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

1 hour ago, Goody222 said:

I am two weeks out today also. Definitely still tired. I am just getting better at drinking liquids, hoping that will help.

Goody,

Is your surgery date the 25th? I thought we were the same day? Your profile says the 21st. Hope you are doing well. I'm doing really good and couldnt be happier!

For those of you who had surgery February 13 (or mid-Feb) are you about to transition from puree to soft foods? I've got a few days left of puree foods and really all I've been eating is low-fat cottage cheese, no sugar added applesauce, and mashed potatoes. During this past week I lost only 1 pound (discouraged, but realize this seems to be the norm). I also am drinking my two Protein Shakes per day (60 g of Protein and Water. This Wednesday will be one month since the surgery and I'm excited yet concerned about eating solid foods. How has it been going for those who have transitioned? Have you been feeling well? What have you been eating?

On 3/4/2019 at 12:42 PM, Sheribear68 said:

Okay guys. Gotta hurry because I’ve got work soon, but I’m so freaking excited because I did a Pilates class this morning! I told the instructor before class what I had done and she was great with helping me modify a few exercises like planks to protect my healing core.

I feel soooooo energized and ready for the day!

I hope you are inspiration to me! I am thinking of joining Planet Fitness--just to do some treadmill and weights. I broke my arm two years ago and had surgery with plates put in so it's very difficult to hold me weight up with that arm. I'm slowly gathering gumption to get into a fitness regime. I hate exercising (hence one of the reasons I found myself in Obeseville!).

I’ve been eating foods for the last week just chewing really well . Purée food was disgusting

5 minutes ago, Dubchild said:

I’ve been eating foods for the last week just chewing really well . Purée food was disgusting

Me too. I started puree and it's just better to chew, chew, chew!

Sometimes I feel like I’m just eating too much but with the pre op diet and the liquid diet after I’m just craving tasting everything again.... on a much smaller scale

Sorry guys. Worked a 12 today, then Pilates class, now I’m about to fall into bed exhausted.
Dear Lord, but Mondays can be a challenge

Okay so even tho my profile says I had surgery on 2/5, I had it on 2/6. No matter how many times I change it, goes back. 🤷‍♀️
Also, I made a promise to myself to avoid any sugars or artificial sweeteners. The main reason is I’ve gotten this reset and I don’t want to mess it up by spiking my insulin levels.
My only drinks are Water, milk, and (eventually when I’m less fearful of dehydration, plain tea and coffee).
I only eat whole food— even if that means I don’t hit Protein goals every day.
Honestly it means that I still don’t have hardly any room for anything other than Protein, but I’m depending on my supplements to carry the load in the meantime

I didn’t spend a lot of time in purées. Like Dub, I just chewed and chewed and chewed a LOT.
If you chew enough and take small enough bites, it’s the same as purées, IMO.

I’m really watching the carbs carefully, but am keeping in mind that not all carbs are as carb-y as others.
For example, I have been eating some Beans with my meat for variety.
Yesterday I put a pork butt with some carrots, onions and celery into my instant pot with some beef Bone Broth for extra Protein and it was amazing and I actually ate over 1/2 cup!

For lunch today I had 2 ounces Brie with 5 raw almonds and 1/2 cup fairlife milk.

I also had over 80 ounces Water. One thing that’s helping is I set an alarm a lot of times for an hour at work and I must drink at least 12 ounces Water in that hour. Lol, my coworkers are even getting used to the alarm and it doesn’t startle them as much anymore 😂😂

Last night I had to get up 4 times to go to the bathroom within 7 hours, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that maybe some weight will drop the next time I weigh

4 hours ago, gabybab said:

Me too. I started puree and it's just better to chew, chew, chew!

My nutritionist suggested not doing puree at all, just soft foods. She said doing puree won't train you to chew sufficiently for when you progress to the next stage. This stage has been very easy as far as meals but I went through a period of not being able to tolerate Water or Protein. No matter how small the sip, water would feel like it wasn't going down and I had a very uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. Even my flavor add ins didn't smooth the water texture and my taste buds did something crazy and I couldn't stand the taste of ANY Protein Drinks. I made so many different recipes, took one taste and poured it out. I have found an unflavored that I can finally tolerate with orange juice and tons of ice. I'm concerned that I've yet to reach my water or protein goals and i'm now 5 weeks out. I went through a full week of extreme fatigue that I couldn't shake but I looked at my discharge paper work that stated fatigue in weeks 2-4 was normal. Today I finally got in 36ozs of water but only about 20oz protein. I feel like there's not enough time in a day or room in my pouch to consume enough.

Hey awesome Feb buddies!

Is anyone having problems with throwing up/regurgitating food?

I'm 3 and a half weeks post-op, and I admit I've eaten a few things that aren't considered 'soft foods' and have occasionally been rewarded with vomiting, which is fair enough. But today's been different... I haven't been able to keep many solids down at all. I did try slightly spicy foods, so maybe that's it? I had two bites of canned thai tuna for lunch along with a piece of cheese, and then tried some Cajun chicken soup... nope, both weren't gonna stay down. Ironically, the thing that has stayed down is a handful of well-chewed peanuts.

Still okay-ish on liquids - I've probably had 30oz or so, though I did also regurgitate some Powerade zero, too. Hoping to get more liquids in tonight (I don't fancy lying down right now!) but really struggling to want to swallow anything because it kinda feels like I've swallowed a rock 😞

Emz, last night was the first night I had a problem with this. I am still trying to get used my signs of when my stomach is full. I accidentally over ate and I got some foamy and spit up the applesauce I ate with it

Yep it’s always that last bite and then it feels stuck so instinctively I take a small sip of Water and then it’s a foam party in my mouth for about an hour

So the best thing I am finally understanding is eat slowly, smoothly and when you feel full don't push another bite down. When I came back to p.o. feeding again, and hopeful of sustaining that way, I had a few oopsies, I read of others at the same calendar time out romping and stomping with their diets, I got a tad envious, wanted to emulate them. No No No said my small boss, Precious Pouch, THAT'S their recovery, not yours. And she does have her way of showing her contempt. So I still eat my 2 oz at a time, drink unceasingly except for mealtimes, stop fixiating on the fact I am BEHIND every other 6 monther in the Bariatric World and PP sits there and lets my liquids and pureed through to my small intestine, actually let me have refried Beans last p.m. and a few things are starting not to have. liquification. So I am hopeful, that's why I am posting here, cause I am still at the early levels in some respects.
Saw something in one of my inspirational quotes.
It is not good to try copying from others, Life may have given them an entirely different Exam Paper, so the answers may not be the same.
Fighting the Fight, Trying to get Everything Right! your Bari- bud Frustr8🍀😝🍀

9 hours ago, Rayeh7 said:

My nutritionist suggested not doing puree at all, just soft foods. She said doing puree won't train you to chew sufficiently for when you progress to the next stage. This stage has been very easy as far as meals but I went through a period of not being able to tolerate Water or Protein. No matter how small the sip, Water would feel like it wasn't going down and I had a very uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. Even my flavor add ins didn't smooth the water texture and my taste buds did something crazy and I couldn't stand the taste of ANY Protein Drinks. I made so many different recipes, took one taste and poured it out. I have found an unflavored that I can finally tolerate with orange juice and tons of ice. I'm concerned that I've yet to reach my water or Protein goals and i'm now 5 weeks out. I went through a full week of extreme fatigue that I couldn't shake but I looked at my discharge paper work that stated fatigue in weeks 2-4 was normal. Today I finally got in 36ozs of water but only about 20oz protein. I feel like there's not enough time in a day or room in my pouch to consume enough.

I have the same problem with protein. I can't stand the taste or smell of any of mine. Prior to surgery I liked them. I am getting mine in by fairlife milk. 20oz is 19 grams of protein and they also have chocolate, although I just prefer plain.

Are you counting your protein as water? My nutritionist said I could count water and protein and that I needed a minimum of 48oz. I've never been a big liquid drinker. I can drink without restriction, but still have trouble getting 48 oz. Best wishes!

Try the fair life chocolate elite. I mix 10oz with 6 oz 1% milk a scoop of Isopure unflavored Protein and ice in my ninja. You get over 40 grams of protein and it tastes good.

I bought a lot of the Premier clear Protein drinks in the tropical fruit flavor to add some extra protein but they have a WEIRD almost chalky after-texture if that makes sense?? I'm still drinking one Protein Shake a day, which gives me 30g in itself (also premier brand), and for the soft food diet I've been able to get the rest through things like chicken salad, tuna creations, and "burrito bowls" with taco meat and refried or black Beans mushed up.
As for liquid, I've never really had a problem with my Water, I just keep a Yeti cup at my desk. I've heard about a little reminder thing that blinks at you if you haven't drank in awhile? It's in the Bariatric Pal Store. Crystal light helps break up the monotony of plain water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

55 minutes ago, gabybab said:

I have the same problem with Protein. I can't stand the taste or smell of any of mine. Prior to surgery I liked them. I am getting mine in by fairlife milk. 20oz is 19 grams of protein and they also have chocolate, although I just prefer plain.

Are you counting your protein as Water? My nutritionist said I could count water and protein and that I needed a minimum of 48oz. I've never been a big liquid drinker. I can drink without restriction, but still have trouble getting 48 oz. Best wishes!

I love chocolate milk. I will try the fairlife chocolate. I mix my smoothies with the plain but don't like drinking plain unless it's with pancakes or PB&J, all of which i'm not doing yet. I go for my next appointment tomorrow. Thanks for the water info. I totally forgot about that. I did finally find a Protein Powder I liked. I asked the clerk at GNC for suggestions and he said this is what most of their clients like. It's GNC Pro Performance. You only mix it with 6oz liquid which I like to because I can get my protein in quicker without moving it with 10-11oz.