Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

12 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Hi everyone. I had my bypass on Monday, March 4. Unfortunately, my outcome was not very good.

I had a lot of pain right after surgery and it kept getting worse. I Diid a blood Sample that showed either an infection or a leak. They then did a CAT scan and it turned out it was both.

They are installing a drain tomorrow that to drain al the pouch stuff that has leaked into the abdominal cavity. I will have another surgery soon to repair the leak. Hopefully this is just a minor Detour and i will make it eventually

I'm so sorry to hear this. Let me know if you need anyone to talk to about this... I was a leaker too. I'm not sure how it works with the RNY as mine was with the sleeve. Have they talked about using stents at all or are they just going to try to patch the leak for now? Good luck... thinking of you. Hang in there!

On 3/6/2019 at 8:17 AM, Recidivist said:

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement. I'm trying to stay positive, but it's difficult after you've waited so long and worked so hard, only to have it go south.

They are taking about possibly doing second surgery this afternoon, which is good for me. I can't get out of this hospital fast enough.

I have only been allowed Clear Liquids in the hospital--and no Protein whatsoever. I'm sure I've lost weight, but not the right way.

I probably won't post again until I'm back home after the second surgery. In the meantime, congratulations to everyone on how much you have achieved already!

@Recidivist - I've been wondering how you are doing. Let us all know when you can x

So my daughter was eating a deli sandwich and had picked off some meats and cheeses and 1 pickle slice. I was walking by and saw them laying there. I picked them up, barely chewed them and swallowed. Of course I immediately realized what I’d done, but this is not my first time. Hope I’m not the only one who’s had memory lapses about just having surgery. Now I’m sitting here very uncomfortable and hoping I have not caused any damage.

Your body is saying " Bad Anna, we know you can do better but we'll hurt for a while just to remind you!" It it had been major, it would have done what Precious Pouch does to me, slimey, puky misery that gone on for a while, I have had times I ended up dry heaving toward the end.
A lot of us have had episodes where our minds write checks, and our new streaml8ne guys refuse loudly to cash. After this misery you'll engage Your Good Sense before the hand extends toward the plate. You're human, 1 flub- up can be expected!
A fellow traveler on the path to Bariatric Nirvana****Frustr8

On 03/08/2019 at 11:26, Everythinganna said:

So my daughter was eating a deli sandwich and had picked off some meats and cheeses and 1 pickle slice. I was walking by and saw them laying there. I picked them up, barely chewed them and swallowed. Of course I immediately realized what I’d done, but this is not my first time. Hope I’m not the only one who’s had memory lapses about just having surgery. Now I’m sitting here very uncomfortable and hoping I have not caused any damage.

Didn’t have this exactly, but I had a big wedding to attend a couple weeks ago and almost nobody knew I’d had surgery.
Every time I turned around someone was pushing a drink in my hand and so I spent part of one evening walking around with a champagne glass just to stop it.
Can’t tell you how many times I had to remind myself not to reflexively drink the drink in my hand.
Many people at this event were two-fisting drinks, so I had the bartender make me up a Water with orange wedges and they put a straw in it.
I was so worried about not drinking the champagne that I drank about half the water with the straw until my stomach started hurting and I realized my mistake.
Ditched the champagne glass afte that and just told people I had hit my 2 drink limit for the night 😂😂

15 hours ago, froufrou said:

@Recidivist - I've been wondering how you are doing. Let us all know when you can x

Hi, Frou Frou and everyone else. Thanks so much for your messages of encouragement during a rather dark week for me (which is why I haven't responded for a few days).

I had a mini-surgery to correct the leak on Wednesday at 10:00 in the evening! (A nurse came into my room at about 2:00 and told me I had to stop eating and drinking immediately--and she got very cranky when I finished the bowl of Jello in I had in front of me.) It was not performed by my surgeon, but I didn't care at that point. It wasn't full anesthesia but what they called "twilight sedation." No idea what that means, but it is apparently much easier on the body and recovery is very quick. I think the entire thing took about 30 minutes via a hole in my side.

I got to come home this morning feeling amazingly good--little pain, no nausea, no dumping. The only thing is that I can't seem to stay awake for more than 90 minutes at a time before I need a nap. I'm also managing only about half of the daily Water and Protein quota, and I can't believe how full I feel all the time! I've actually drunk water to the point of pain several times, but I'm learning when to stop. I'm sure it will improve with time, but right now I can't imagine eating actual food. I'm basically at the starting block, where I would have been last Tuesday if I had been discharged from the hospital the day after surgery as planned.

Thanks again for your support during the week--it really made a difference.

9 hours ago, Recidivist said:

I'm basically at the starting block, where I would have been last Tuesday if I had been discharged from the hospital the day after surgery as planned.

Thanks again for your support during the week--it really made a difference.

oh wow, that is fantastic! I'm so glad they could fix the leak. Excellent news! :D

Okay February peeps!
I’m now 32 days post-op and I’m starting to get really peeved at the scale.
Lost 24 pounds from day 1-12, and 3 pounds from day 13-32.
At first I was still pretty upbeat because I was still losing inches, but measured this morning and the ONLY place I lost anything was bust (0.5 inch) and hips (0.25 inch). Nothing anywhere else.

I know it may sound greedy for me to be complaining about “only” losing 27 pounds in the first month, but this 1 pound/ week for the last 3 weeks is getting old really fast.

The part of me that has suffered through my body betraying me for the last 23 years is starting to overcome the rational part that knows the science behind this surgery.
I’ve gone over my food logs and I haven’t had over 24 gm carb any day, so I absolutely KNOW I’m not overdoing sugars.
I’ve consumed zero artificial sweeteners and have only eaten whole food. No shakes or anything else with hidden bad things in them. Heck, I even gave up my sugar- free jello!
Water is on point with at least 80 ounces daily (most days I hit 96 ounces) and my job gets me over 10,000 steps per day in a typical 10 hour shift.
I’ve also started doing Pilates 3 times weekly.
I’m making sure I get at least 7 hours sleep nightly.

This isn’t technically a stall because I am losing a pound a week.
The negative voices in my head are now telling me that I’m either going to be the first person in history to epically fail despite doing everything perfectly, or I’m doomed to fight hard for 1 pound a week and I’ll hit my goal weight in 17 months.

Needing the support from my February buds right now....

Sheri, I sure do understand feeling upset and discouraged. You did lose a bunch in the first 2 weeks so I’m sure it’s your body adjusting and the scale will move again soon. Be sure and post when it does!

It's more of a balk instead of a stall, but still peeved you when you're sure you are doing everything that your dietician and surgeon recommended. It will smooth out but only in its sweet time!

Thanks so much for understanding guys.
Yeah, it’s not a stall because there is a teensy bit of movement down.
Honestly I’d be okay with the 27 pound loss had it been a bit more spread out. I know that doesn’t sound rational, but the whole reason I’m even here to start with is—like everyone else here—diets and exercise just have never worked in the past and my brain is going through some serious PTSD in not seeing the numbers move.
It was okay when my measurements were also going down, but now that stopped.
Lol, now I can’t even drink wine to cope with the stress 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks so much for understanding guys.
Yeah, it’s not a stall because there is a teensy bit of movement down.
Honestly I’d be okay with the 27 pound loss had it been a bit more spread out. I know that doesn’t sound rational, but the whole reason I’m even here to start with is—like everyone else here—diets and exercise just have never worked in the past and my brain is going through some serious PTSD in not seeing the numbers move.
It was okay when my measurements were also going down, but now that stopped.
Lol, now I can’t even drink wine to cope with the stress 🤣🤣🤣
I'm in the same boat, Sheri. Lost 1 pound last week (Week 3) but still lost a few cm... but I think I might be sitting at 250 for a while. I mean, all up I've lost 50 pounds! I think my body's probably in shock [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my CPH1719 using BariatricPal mobile app