Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Hi, everyone. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow (March 3) at 7:30. I've done well on liquids and have lost 17 pounds over the last two weeks, which astounds me. I can see a slight difference all ready. At this point I'm excited and ready to get on with it, with just a touch of nerves.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how things went, but I don't expect to be back online the day of surgery. Thanks to all of you for the information and support you have all given me!

11 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Hi, everyone. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow (March 3) at 7:30. I've done well on liquids and have lost 17 pounds over the last two weeks, which astounds me. I can see a slight difference all ready. At this point I'm excited and ready to get on with it, with just a touch of nerves.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how things went, but I don't expect to be back online the day of surgery. Thanks to all of you for the information and support you have all given me!

Your time has finally come! That's an amazing weight loss on liquids! Best wishes to you and we look forward to hearing how you are doing when you're through the operation.

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Hi, Pattianne. I actually haven't had surgery yet. I'm having it tomorrow (March 3) at 7:30 a.m. I'll definitely let everyone here know how it goes.

Good luck!! I will be waiting with bated breath to hear how the diet goes ...... Best wishes

5 hours ago, Everythinganna said:

I can’t speak for anyone else of course, but it’s going good for me so far. I’m almost 2 weeks post op. The first week was very very difficult for me. Almost anything I ate caused pain. I’ve healed and can now easily drink Water, shakes, etc. I’m still keeping eating to a minimum by choice.

Before surgery I did not have a good diet. I’m a stay at home mom, and my kids are older and in school, so I had a lot of time at home alone which led to lots of snacking and I generally made poor food choices. I wouldn’t say I NEEDED food. I mean, we all need food... But my daily intake usually did include at least one “bad” meal, be that a hamburger/fries combo meal, lunch at a restaurant or pizza delivery.

Since surgery, and due to having kids around, I’ve been exposed to those temptations twice now. In an earlier post I confessed I chewed up and spit out a few of my sons Wendy’s French fries. And I took a pepperoni off of my family’s pizza Friday night and ate that. But largely I don’t “cheat” and don’t want to. My hunger has been largely reduced. Had those things not been right in my face, I would have never put them in my face to begin with. So there is that.

At this stage it’s still risky to me and can be actually PAINFUL to cheat, so that’s a good deterrent.

I do find myself craving salmon sashii, crab legs and shrimp. So maybe there is some nutrient in these seafood items I’m short on.

Thats my 2 cents. Hope that helps. I paid $10,000 for this surgery and I’m happy with the results so far. If things keep going this way it will be money well spent. My self esteem has already improved and I’m looking forward to a smaller “me” this summer!

Thanks for that input. This helps me alot! Good luck I will be watching your progress and hope it all is as easy as can be for you

2 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Hi Newbie. This is a great question and the same one I had prior to surgery, and as you can see, it's different for everyone. For the first few weeks I had no desire to really eat anything. I had "mental" cravings when I smelled certain foods I liked, but I'd call that more of head hunger...you want it, but not really. In this sense, it helped me not to cheat. Hard to explain. Today I went with my family to a Mexican place where I LOVE their burritos. I ordered a side of refried Beans and ate about 1/3 of a cup of them. They tasted soooooo good. My husband and two teens ordered burritos and although they looked good, I was satisfied that (1) I could still go out with them at a restaurant and (2) I could slowly enjoy just a small serving of the Beans. The other food looked so overwhelming to be honest. Sadly, I don't think my cravings for certain foods will ever go away, but I know that in a couple months I'll be able to enjoy tiny bits of them to satiate the cravings. Also, when I looked around at what other people were eating, I was amazed to find myself thinking "Wow, are they really going to eat ALL that?" I'm trying to embrace the "less is more" philosophy. I will say, though, that while walking through the grocery store the other night I was a bit bummed thinking, "oh, I will never be able to sit down and just eat [fill in the blank] to my heart's content" again. It was depressing, no doubt, but I'm taking one day at a time. Have your food funeral if it helps. I did my favorite foods each night for the week prior to Clear Liquids and enjoyed them to the fullest.

Very good explanation!!!

Op date 2/18. Anyone else feeling concerned they’re able consume more than a sleeved stomach ought to hold? I was able to finish a cup of broth in 20 minutes, I was enjoying it so much to realize how quickly it disappeared. How long postop have others experienced more thab 2 oz every 15 minutes been was no longer uncomfortable?

Edited by SleevelessinAK

4 minutes ago, SleevelessinAK said:

Op date 2/18. Anyone else feeling concerned they’re able consume more than a sleeved stomach ought to hold? I was able to finish a cup of broth in 20 minutes, I was enjoying it so much to realize how quickly it disappeared. How long postop have others experienced more thab 2 oz every 15 minutes been was no longer uncomfortable?

I had my surgery 2/25 and had no appetite until 2 evenings ago. No interest in anything. Everything tasted bad/different. The past 3 nights I have had 1 cup of chicken broth. I sip it, but probably do in 10 minutes. It goes down so easy. I was absolutely starving last night and it did the trick. Hope I'm ok too, because it didn't restrict at all.

I’m finding I can eat almost double the suggested amounts without pain. Still staying under 800 calories

Me too marine , probably only going to do half days this week

Just now, TheMarine79 said:

Back to work tomorrow for me. Let’s see how this goes. Looking forward to this, but a little anxious

Wow, has it been two weeks already? Don't overdo it, and good luck.

I'm getting my bypass tomorrow!

4 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Wow, has it been two weeks already? Don't overdo it, and good luck.

I'm getting my bypass tomorrow!

Good luck tomorrow!

4 days post op. Everything went fine. Little to no gas pains. My larger incision is hurting more than the first few days. It hurts around the incision like a bruise. Also my left upper leg is numb and tingly. Anyone else have these symptoms?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

3 hours ago, gabybab said:

I had my surgery 2/25 and had no appetite until 2 evenings ago. No interest in anything. Everything tasted bad/different. The past 3 nights I have had 1 cup of chicken broth. I sip it, but probably do in 10 minutes. It goes down so easy. I was absolutely starving last night and it did the trick. Hope I'm ok too, because it didn't restrict at all.

Thank you gabybab! I am relieved. For a minute I thought I’d already began to fail in under two weeks.