Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Sleeved 2/22... 7 days post-op and only down 9 lbs. feeling a little doubtful on this weight loss journey.

For those of us 2 weeks post op or more, how is everyone sleeping at night ? I can’t make it longer than 2-3 hours lying down without having to get up and move to a completely elevated position. All the while the sharp pains taking over the left side until I’m in a semi reclined spot (then pain is 100% gone).

Ganna: I put half a scoop of chocolate powder into two tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt

16 minutes ago, jodster64 said:

Sleeved 2/22... 7 days post-op and only down 9 lbs. feeling a little doubtful on this weight loss journey.

My doctors office said not to step on the scale until the two week follow up. In my case I am sitting in their office right now getting fluids. I can’t seem to drink enough so they are tellingmegive my body some time to adjust and then I will start losing weight. I totally understand after a major surgery, you want the scale to show weight loss. I am not weighing myself to avoid disappointment. They say the weight loss picks up. Fingers crossed.

Jodster My weight loss has been slow but it’s not magic. You’ll lose weight slow and steady. I’m 4 1/2 months out and down only 45 lbs. we are rethinking my eating. I just don’t get enough Protein.

On 03/01/2019 at 10:27, jodster64 said:

Everyone is different. I step on the scale daily even though it's not recommended. I am 17 days post op and only down 9 pounds. Also I was up 4 pounds when I came home after 4 days in the hospital.

On 03/01/2019 at 10:27, Dubchild said:

For those of us 2 weeks post op or more, how is everyone sleeping at night ? I can’t make it longer than 2-3 hours lying down without having to get up and move to a completely elevated position. All the while the sharp pains taking over the left side until I’m in a semi reclined spot (then pain is 100% gone).
I had to sleep in a recliner when I got home for about week but I am able to sleep on my back now. I also have left side pains but usually when I sit for a longer period of time. I am getting about 6 hours a night now.

Jodster: how much weight loss were you expecting lol... over a pound a day for the first 9 days is A LOT.

Okay so my weight loss fell off of a cliff immediately post-op.
Lost 23 pounds in 12 days.
Then I went 3 days in a row at the exact same weight.
So I avoided the scale until I could button and zip a pair of pants that I could barely pull up when the stall started and it took me 9 days. Got on the scale this morning and I had dropped 2 more pounds since the stall began.
I also measured my waist and had dropped 1.5 inches since the stall began.
Now its mathematically impossible to lose 1.5 inches off of your waist and only drop 2 pounds so that means my body is adjusting and during this adjustment period the scale isn’t moving a lot.
However I’m really pleased that clothes fit looser than they did last week.
Honestly I would get on the scale once a week AT THE MOST, and use other tools to monitor progress.
For example, can you now climb a flight of stairs with less effort?
All of these things are so much more important than that scale number and I know that as long as I follow program, those numbers will eventually start decreasing

Dubchild: lol I know. Just sayin...I told myself before surgery I was not going to harp on it and here I am....🧐I am so afraid that when I start soft foods the weight loss will stop. Overall I’m totally happy with the amount of weight I have lost.

That’s great jodster, I have lost almost exactly 1 lbs per day pretty consistently and I just keep eating the same diet ! Hoping nothing changes 👌🏻

I step on the scale daily. My surgeon says to weigh. Come on. I have to weigh the scale is right there. I was losing better before I transitioned to real food. I was looking at Protein and really not paying attention to carbs. Yikes! Revamping my eating!

I too transition to soft food in just a few days, but I’m not too worried because I’m having a real hard time taking in over 1/4 cup at a time anyway, which means pretty much all I have room for is Protein.
I just started being able to hit my protein goals starting Monday - thank goodness for fairlife milk— so I just can’t see how I’m gonna fit in any carbs.
Okay, so who all of us February sleevers are able to hold more than that? I’m kinda getting tired of eating a few bites and feeling “thanksgiving dinner” full

So, I was really excited to start my purees only to find out that I have NO appetite. I had a few bites of the ricotta bake yesterday, and it did taste good, but I wasn't really hungry for it. Today I'm like, "whatever, I'll just go back to my Water and Protein shakes." I just have no appetite. I found an article online about this that I wanted to share--here's an excerpt (sorry so long). I'm 16 days post op and wondering if anyone else has no appetite (nothing sounds good):

A loss of appetite after weight loss surgery can be attributed to more than just losing taste and smell. The communication between the brain and the intestines when food is digested is disrupted after weight loss surgery, researchers believe. “Current research is showing that when you take away a lot of your stomach and reroute your intestines, the food is no longer hitting nerve receptors that signal to the brain to make chemicals and hormones that regulate blood sugars, blood pressure, hunger and fullness,” Rene explains. “These are the metabolic changes patients experience after surgery. The downside is that it’s quite a challenge to find foods and fluids after surgery that you can tolerate and eventually like.”