Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Yeah Joe!! Now start your new life!!Look forward to hearing about your journey!

16 days out from bypass surgery and I just had 3/4 cup of Soup with 4 saltines and ate it within 15mins with zero pain.. I’m wondering if something is wrong or it’s just a matter of everyone being different. So far today had 1 - 30g Protein Shake and 1/2cup cottage cheese and 1L Water

Good for you!!! Everyone is different. I have no idea how the bypass works since I had a sleeve.

36 minutes ago, Joe P said:

Ok, operation complete. I was suppose to be at 10 but they didn't start until 1. I am currently in my hospital room and feel surprisingly well. No fluids until 6 am. Hope your doing good also Brooklyn!

Congrats Joe and I wish you a speedy recovery. I am amazed when I see people posting the same day as their surgery, I didn't even look at my phone until late in the next day.

I've read here that people sometimes add Protein Powder to other foods in order to better meet their daily Protein goals. I'm only familiar with the flavored powder for shakes, but this seems to be something different. Can anyone provide some information?

The powdered Protein doesn’t really work good for me in most things. Like hot stuff, if it’s to hot it lumps up yucky.
I add to pudding and shakes. I use my blender and beat it to death. I use the unflavored one so I can use it in everything I want to add it to

The unflavoured Protein powder works well in yogurt or if you’re gonna add it to Soup mix it up in some skim milk before you add it or it will definitely clump up

10 hours ago, PALOMABELLA said:

I thought we not suppose to have anything to dring the day of surgery. My sleeve date is first week of june..it was in may but had to be postponed. Ok so what is really gatorade ok to dring before surgery. ..any reason????

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is what I was given, they said it was full of electrolytes to help dehydration after surgery. I think they also said it may prevent hunger after surgery. It was my choice whether to drink or not, i did drink whether it helped or not who knows!

BA2D7B47-5E31-47A7-B8C1-6C7CE686904A.jpeg

On 02/27/2019 at 11:34, PALOMABELLA said:

I thought we not suppose to have anything to dring the day of surgery. My sleeve date is first week of june..it was in may but had to be postponed. Ok so what is really gatorade ok to dring before surgery. ..any reason????

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

My protocol was very similar. I got to choose between Gatorade, apple juice, and grape juice. Had to drink 32 ounces the night before and 15 ounces three hours prior to surgery. They said it was to help my body regulate blood sugar levels in the face of a “big trauma.”

It’s normal. I believe they take a biopsy of your liver and send it off. I did not have this done because I was self-pay but the office told me about it.

They sent a section of the parts they remove. My stomach and gall bladder

Hello all. My route to gastric bypass is a bit unique I think. In December I called and scheduled an appointment with a surgeon because my hiatal hernia/GERD was not really responding to medication any longer and I tore a rib muscle coughing and choking after aspiration of acid while sleeping. I had officially had enough. I’m 36 years old, and have Barrett’s. I’m a pretty active guy, I play flag football and softball on work leagues and am out and about walking with the wife on the beach and in the neighborhood quite often. We only live a couple blocks from the beach. I am however at 35 BMI. Upon the first consultation with the surgeon on Jan 7th he recomended gastric bypass as the gold standard to cure GERD. My surgery was on Feb 20th. 44 days from initial consultation to in recovery. I had no pre op diet orders other than no food after midnight day of surgery which was at 7am.

As of today, I’m 8 days post op and most importantly I have not had reflux once.... that is such a heavenly feeling. Also, I have dropped from 255lbs on day of surgery to 231 as of this morning. It is shocking to me that I’ve nearly dropped 25lbs in 8 days. My surgeon expects me to lose about 70lbs. I didn’t really look into forums to see other people’s thoughts on this surgery, and didn’t know what to expect regarding weight loss. I read countless research papers regarding gastric bypass and GERD, and studied up on what kind of foods I should have ready for meals after surgery.

I’m glad to have found this site, as it provides a lot of helpful information and hope all other have results that are positive and all they are expecting.

20 minutes ago, Rocketman said:

Hello all. My route to gastric bypass is a bit unique I think. In December I called and scheduled an appointment with a surgeon because my hiatal hernia/GERD was not really responding to medication any longer and I tore a rib muscle coughing and choking after aspiration of acid while sleeping. I had officially had enough. I’m 36 years old, and have Barrett’s. I’m a pretty active guy, I play flag football and softball on work leagues and am out and about walking with the wife on the beach and in the neighborhood quite often. We only live a couple blocks from the beach. I am however at 35 BMI. Upon the first consultation with the surgeon on Jan 7th he recomended gastric bypass as the gold standard to cure GERD. My surgery was on Feb 20th. 44 days from initial consultation to in recovery. I had no pre op diet orders other than no food after midnight day of surgery which was at 7am.

As of today, I’m 8 days post op and most importantly I have not had reflux once.... that is such a heavenly feeling. Also, I have dropped from 255lbs on day of surgery to 231 as of this morning. It is shocking to me that I’ve nearly dropped 25lbs in 8 days. My surgeon expects me to lose about 70lbs. I didn’t really look into forums to see other people’s thoughts on this surgery, and didn’t know what to expect regarding weight loss. I read countless research papers regarding gastric bypass and GERD, and studied up on what kind of foods I should have ready for meals after surgery.

I’m glad to have found this site, as it provides a lot of helpful information and hope all other have results that are positive and all they are expecting.

Welcome Rocketman! Glad to hear you are feeling relief from GERD. When I took my endocrinologist's advice and made a consultation with a bariatric surgeon, I was hoping I could have the sleeve version--but no. With a long history of GERD and gastroparesis, I was told that gastric bypass would alleviate the GERD and the sleeve might make it worse. I was disappointed because I wanted the less-invasive surgery, but decided to go ahead with gastric bypass on Feb 13. I've been taking Protonix for 20+ years and now. Post-surgery my surgeon prescribe more Protonix twice a day (crushed). I'm not sure how long I will have to be on it, but I'm hoping to say goodbye to GERD for life. Allow me to ask: Are you currently on an acid reducer after surgery? If so, how long do you need to take it. I do have some heartburn post-surgery but I'm hoping I won't have it for long.

Edited by Gottajustdoit

90 days post op Protonix for me. But I had a sleeve