Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

I hate to be a Debbie downer but I’m struggling on every point - Vitamins cause nausea, can’t get enough liquids, way off on protein... every swallow I take makes me feel like I’m going to explode! I’m focusing now on Premier Protein waters and Bone Broth soup.... is it possible I’m just still sore from surgery? I’m 5 days out.

11 minutes ago, Everythinganna said:

I hate to be a Debbie downer but I’m struggling on every point - Vitamins cause nausea, can’t get enough liquids, way off on protein... every swallow I take makes me feel like I’m going to explode! I’m focusing now on Premier Protein waters and Bone Broth soup.... is it possible I’m just still sore from surgery? I’m 5 days out.

Sorry to hear this Everythinganna, especially since you were going into the surgery with such high spirits and optimism. I eased into my Vitamins and, although you should seek your doctor's or NUT's advice, I would wait to start your vitamins until you feel better. I've heard that sometimes people wait two weeks to start the vitamins. But again, don't go by my word alone. There may be a reason you have to start your vitamins now. I have my first pre-op tomorrow and I stopped my Calcium and Iron chews because I am so unbearably constipated. I have colace but I want to ask them if I can swallow them before I take them because they are gel capsules (I will ask tomorrow). And yes, you definitely could be still sore! I started feeling better around day 6 post-op, but pain still came and went. You might try adding unflavored Protein to your Bone Broth if you can. Yesterday I added just a wee bit of PB Protein (peanut butter protein powder) to my chocolate sf/ff pudding. I found it super sweet. Who would have thought. Be assured that not feeling well--even 5 days post-op--is NORMAL. My surgeon's office stressed that I should call them about ANYTHING I felt was off but I'm the type that says "Oh, I don't want to bother them with that...they will think I'm a hypochondriac," but I did call. They repeated to call anytime. I'm hoping you're getting the same advice from your team. Good luck! Hang in there!

Edited by Gottajustdoit

On 02/25/2019 at 14:05, Everythinganna said:

Don’t feel bad. The single most Important thing you can do is drink drink drink. Put Water before Protein or even Vitamins right now if you have to. Water is THE MOST IMPORTANT. I was only able to out down about 15gm protein per day for the first 7-10 days. It gets better and the feeling of “going to explode” subsides.
I’m now 6 days into my purée food phase and can only put down 45 grams protein daily. I know it is “supposed” to be higher, but I drink at least 80 ounces of water daily and my new stomach just can’t hold more than 1/4 cup of food at a time.
It’s okay though. I know that just a few weeks hitting under the mark in protein isn’t going to hurt me and I focus daily on eating protein only.
Lol, my meals are things like 1/3 pouch tuna, mixed with a tablespoon Greek yogurt and topped with a couple spoonfuls of cottage cheese. Not even close to 20gm protein, but I have to choose priorities.
Tonite I’m gonna have goat cheese with 1 ounce chopped lean pork loin. There just isn’t room for veggies right now so I’m depending on my vitamins to carry the load until I can eat 80 gm protein daily without it being an almighty struggle.

I am on day 6. Yesterday was hard, but my husband made me get up and walk which helped a lot. My paperwork specifically said don't worry about Vitamins and Protein right now, do what you can without causing yourself discomfort. Make sure you are getting Water though. Or I would switch to a zero cal/zero sugar water with electrolytes to help catch up. chicken broth will probably help you restore your salt intake which made me feel much better. Make sure you walk though, small laps around the house will really make a lot of difference. Today is my first day no meds and, while still painful, it is much more manageable. Hang tough, it gets better!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 02/25/2019 at 14:18, berryfam said:

I am on day 6. Yesterday was hard, but my husband made me get up and walk which helped a lot. My paperwork specifically said don't worry about Vitamins and Protein right now, do what you can without causing yourself discomfort. Make sure you are getting Water though. Or I would switch to a zero cal/zero sugar Water with electrolytes to help catch up. chicken broth will probably help you restore your salt intake which made me feel much better. Make sure you walk though, small laps around the house will really make a lot of difference. Today is my first day no meds and, while still painful, it is much more manageable. Hang tough, it gets better!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes!!! Walking is soooooo important. I got on my treadmill on day 3 post-op and walked for 20 minutes at 2mph. The next day I walked for a half hour and today I’m 20 days post and just finished walking for an hour at 3.5. I definitely am convinced that the walking greatly helped me drink more. Anymore, I grab a 20oz water and tell myself I can’t get off that treadmill until the water is finished 😂😂

Thank goodness for husbands. My guy is my strength. He keeps me moving and chest free. But I do still bake at least three times a week. Don’t eat it. It’s my therapy. I give it away or freeze stuff and my grandkids are always happy to take it home. I think we have to do something to keep our minds off the scale! Hate that scale!

Thank you so much everyone for your positivity, comments, suggestions and feedback. It is greatly appreciated! I was given a standard printed diet which I’m sure they give to all patients. I suppose it makes sense to make adjustments accordingly- I’ll speak with their office about that. No Constipation here – quite the opposite! Finally took an Imodium this morning and getting some relief. Was very worried about not getting fluids. I actually have a “resource” on standby with IV bags if I start feeling dehydrated. Dehydration is definitely my biggest concern! I am a little weirded out to have someone I don’t know put an IV in my arm at home but glad to have that option available. It’s a friend of mine‘s husband (a paramedic) so I don’t know him personally. So that’s a last resort. I may go to an IV hydration clinic tomorrow just to be on the safe side. Glad I’m not the only one who couldn’t meet those goals right out the gate. I guess we are all different and heal at different speeds!

This has a little bit of Protein already in it which is why I was going this route. I have tried adding GENEPRO to some Soups but it grosses me out for some reason...

AA3BB6AB-162E-4867-8BF8-088B679E8BEE.jpeg

Oh! And I have on one each of these Patches so hopefully I’m getting some vitamins! They want me taking one Horse pill Vitamin each day this week with three Calcium chewables. So I Put the patches on to cover my bases. Hopefully that’s good enough and now I’m going to focus on Water water water

B1B1DB39-599A-4541-916C-B74204D9DE30.jpeg

Edited by Everythinganna

Hope those with surgeries today went well. Get lots of rest!

Edited by Everythinganna

I’m two weeks out today, my vsg was on feb 11th. If anyone has a similar date, let me know. Current state is cranky, low energy, a bit of dumping syndrome, feeling weak and feeling like I can’t keep eating broth and Jello. But overall, I’m super excited and I know this current situation is so temporary. I know I won’t even remember it when I’m feeling healthy and wonderful in 6 months! Hope everyone is healing well and hanging in there.

I'm currently experiencing my first real down period since surgery (about 11 days ago). It's midday, and the best I've been able to do is grab a water bottle and slowly sip away at it in bed.

I'm struggling, because my usual depression routine is to lie in bed until I stop thinking obsessive thoughts about self-harm (I haven't participated in that for a few years now, but the thoughts are still as strong as ever) and replace those thoughts with obsessive thinking around what food will give me enough motivation to get out of bed.

So, I need to find a better "how to get out of this slump" strategy that doesn't rely on trips to the dairy or ordering in pizza...

Any suggestions appreciated! (But know my capacity for anything is limited... so has to be something small and manageable).

Sent from my CPH1719 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 02/25/2019 at 17:29, EmzBee said:

I'm currently experiencing my first real down period since surgery (about 11 days ago). It's midday, and the best I've been able to do is grab a Water bottle and slowly sip away at it in bed.

I'm struggling, because my usual depression routine is to lie in bed until I stop thinking obsessive thoughts about self-harm (I haven't participated in that for a few years now, but the thoughts are still as strong as ever) and replace those thoughts with obsessive thinking around what food will give me enough motivation to get out of bed.

So, I need to find a better "how to get out of this slump" strategy that doesn't rely on trips to the dairy or ordering in pizza...

Any suggestions appreciated! (But know my capacity for anything is limited... so has to be something small and manageable).

Sent from my CPH1719 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m so sorry that you’re struggling with these demons Emzbee.
Okay so if this is something that you discussed with your therapist before surgery, I’d recommend going back and employing some of the strategies you guys discussed.
If that isn’t the case, maybe simply taking out a journal and listing all of the reasons why you’ve done this in the first place.
I know that when I write, I can put myself in a better frame of mind. I can get out all of the negative thoughts and once they’ve gone from inside my head to out on a piece of paper it helps

If none of those things are options, know that we are here for you