Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

On 02/23/2019 at 13:35, Joe P said:

Hi Brooklyn Kay, I am sharing the same surgery date as you. I haven't posted much but I am glad everyone is so helpful. Marine glad things are going better for you and I have been following all my February friends. I guess I'm the senior here at 69 years but I have found everyone's kindness in sharing all the downs and ups has been so helpful and I know what to possibly expect. Guess I'm the tall guy too, 6-5 and roughly 313. Hopeful to go down to 230. Wish me luck.
Yay! We’re surgery buddies!!! You’re never too old to better yourself! Please keep me updated on your surgery and recovery!!

4 hours ago, TheMarine79 said:
4 hours ago, gabybab said:

Monday is coming and I'm terrified. I'm so honestly scared. I almost canceled last week. The pre-op diet was brutal as a diabetic. So, they switched me to a low cal diabetic diet. Good luck everyone. I will let you know how I do.

Gaby. You will do just fine. When you get there things happen quickly so it will be over before you know it

I meant to say the liquid diet the first day. Then they realized I was diabetes snd 500 calories wasn't enough. Regardless I've lost 15 pounds in 6 days. Is that even possible?

23 minutes ago, TheMarine79 said:

Has anyone ever cheated on post op diet. I am getting appetite back slowly.

Hey Marine,

I haven't cheated and here's why. I was told that any pulp or even a small bit of food could get snarled in the staples that are trying to heal. The thought of that happening scared the dickens out of me so I'm staying the course. I definitely am getting my appetite back, and my cravings for something cheesy is fierce, but I figured if I could make it through the awful Clear Liquids phase of the preop, I can make it a few more days until I get to the pureed stage. Are you still on full liquids? Have you tried sugar-free pudding? Cream Soup?

How did you make the ricotta bake? I've got a few weeks before the puree stage, but starting to think of ideas that might sound good. I really love cheese so I already have some Laughing Cow Cheese on my counter waiting for me!
I used Shellys ricotta bake on Google.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/23/2019 at 10:56 AM, TheMarine79 said:

High wt 339 on February 4th. Surgery weight February 18th 321, 2-22 weight is 314

image-0.00298023223876953.jpg

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

Looking good Marine! I did a couple headshots over on FB, I may as well share here, too...

First photo is around about the time of my first surgeon's appointment, second is one week post.

So nice to have some of that weight around my face and neck off... though (surprise, surprise) I've lost the majority of cm from around my bust... a massive 20cm and counting! Why do the boobs have to be the first to go?! Lol!

52860704_1145232618989825_6817614992980836352_n.jpg

52537794_1145234088989678_1487555983029829632_n.jpg

8 hours ago, Dubchild said:

Should’ve found this thread earlier but I had bypass on feb 12. I’m 36 yrs old and work in construction so I had a feeling I would be quick to recover and was off pain meds by feb 15. The liquid diet has been no problem and walking everyday as well. Now the problem... I decided earlier this week (day 7/8/9) that general housework and bending over to pick up the dog (17lbs chihuahua) was within my scope but apparently not. While sitting on couch or in reclining chair I feel zero pain. When I stand up it’s a slight burning sensation on the left side. First thing in the morning getting out of bed is sheer torture. Sharp pains in the mid left side that is basically crippling until I make it downstairs to the couch but then less and less pain throughout the day until before bed it returns again. I’m not sure if I’ve pulled something or the muscles just hadn’t healed yet but now (day 11) the pain this morning in my left side is bad as ever. Selfishly hoping this is happening to the other buddies who had surgery the same time as I did just so I can stop worrying... any feedback is much appreciated folks

cheers

ps. Our post op diet is not specific per person but I feel like I could move on to purée but they don’t suggest it till day 21... I’m craving any sort of real food

Welcome, Dubchild!

Man, that sounds nasty! 😞

I, too, experience the shooting left rib pain--though more sporadically. Your stomach's hiding just under there, so it doesn't surprise me that when you get up and your organs move a little you're experiencing pain.

I experience the shooting pains mainly when I'm slouching, typing at the computer and then stretch to straighten my back. I think it's basically my ribcage crushing into Tiny Tummy Tim and making him uncomfortable. Fair enough, TTT.

For pain getting up/down, perhaps try a heat pack? I think the reason why we notice the stabbing/shooting pains is because the pain meds really aren't built to help with them, so we're more or less on our own.

Thanks for the reply It’s comforting knowing these pains are common

When does everyone get to have that ricotta bake? Day 14? Day 21?

1 hour ago, TheMarine79 said:

Has anyone ever cheated on post op diet. I am getting appetite back slowly.

I mean, I'm supposed to be on purees still, but I went out for dinner with my husband earlier in the week and had a soft boiled egg with dried anchovies. They were salty and crunchy and delicious! (Also full of B-vitamins and omegas, so I'm thinking of getting some for home) I also made sure to take slow bites and chew chew chew them to a mush.

Today, again went out with my husband for Breakfast. He got scrambled eggs with a fried egg on the side for me--I would have preferred poached, but I managed to eat aaaaalmost a whole egg with a tiny bit of hollandaise sauce and cracked pepper... delish! And no dumping syndrome! (Though a freaking TEENY amount of sugar and I dump, it seems--only had it happen once so may just be a nut thing--but I'm super-careful with sugar).

Cheating for us all is a slippery slope. I know that. But if you're cheating on something that fits into your dietary needs (high Protein, can be mushed or chewed and broken down) and it'll make you less miserable/more satisfied to have a 'cheat' meal, then... *shrugs*

Ya gotta do what you can to do your best without withdrawing from life, is all I'm saying. 🙂

1 hour ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Hey Marine,

I haven't cheated and here's why. I was told that any pulp or even a small bit of food could get snarled in the staples that are trying to heal. The thought of that happening scared the dickens out of me so I'm staying the course. I definitely am getting my appetite back, and my cravings for something cheesy is fierce, but I figured if I could make it through the awful Clear Liquids phase of the preop, I can make it a few more days until I get to the pureed stage. Are you still on full liquids? Have you tried sugar-free pudding? Cream Soup?

1 hour ago, TheMarine79 said:

I have been having Premier Protein chocolate 30 grams of Protein each day. Decaff coffee and sugar free fudgicles

Gottajustdoit makes a good point... I take everything back, don't cheat. Lol.

I don't have staples. I only have the 5 laparoscopic entry points (3 x 1cm, 2x 2cm near my bellybutton... the most annoying one is the one on my solar plexus that sits right on my braline).

Although we're getting RNYs, the actual procedures are likely different, so don't listen to my cheating face listen to your surgeon XD

Hi hi!

Fellow post-ops (and pre-ops who know already) What are your specific protein/calorie goals?

I find I have nausea if I consume anything over 500cals. Yesterday I had 300, walked 7K steps and felt great... Day before I had 600 and felt pretty gross.

I don't have any Protein goal guidelines (I'll email my dietitian, see what she says) but I was wondering how my post-op cals/protein stacks up against others' experiences.

There's so much trial and error in figuring out Tiny Tummy Tim... I'm just, like, 'new-mother nervous' that I'm not doing right by him.