Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

7 minutes ago, EmzBee said:

That's awesome, tcowen! Remind me... have you had your surgery yet, or are you still in the waiting room?

Recidivist, you have to go at your own pace. Look after what's right for YOU. I know you might feel a little intimidated through comparing yourself to others, but as an idea--I'm 29. No health probs except mild asthma and eczema and mildly high cholesterol (not medicated). Pre-surgery I could walk 15K steps in a day without much trouble at all. I've never broken a bone, let alone had any surgery.
Comparison may well be the theif of your own joy in this process, my friend. Please look after you and do your best. I'll be rooting for you!!
(Only calling you out because I consider you a friend! )

Sent from my CPH1719 using BariatricPal mobile app

Awww, EmzBee, you are so sweet. 🙂 Intellectually I know you are right that I shouldn't compare myself to others, but it's hard not to! I guess I just want to get an idea whether my progress is generally comparable to what most people are experiencing.

Pre-surgery liquid start on Monday--away we go!

That's awesome, tcowen! Remind me... have you had your surgery yet, or are you still in the waiting room?

Recidivist, you have to go at your own pace. Look after what's right for YOU. I know you might feel a little intimidated through comparing yourself to others, but as an idea--I'm 29. No health probs except mild asthma and eczema and mildly high cholesterol (not medicated). Pre-surgery I could walk 15K steps in a day without much trouble at all. I've never broken a bone, let alone had any surgery.
Comparison may well be the theif of your own joy in this process, my friend. Please look after you and do your best. I'll be rooting for you!!
(Only calling you out because I consider you a friend! )

Yes I had surgery Feb 8 I'm down 10lbs so far.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi everyone. I had surgery around 1pm on Wednesday and was discharged from the hospital around 7pm last night. Felt good to sleep in my own bed! No complications during the operation, but it took me a while to get out of the recovery room. After the surgery, the gave me Dilaudid in my IV for the first day. On the second day they switched me to the oral Oxycodone. I stopped the pain meds yesterday morning. I was about to get out of the hospital yesterday morning, but my body was low in magnesium and sodium so needed those added to my IV before I could leave. I was given broth and Jello in the hospital but didn't feel like eating much. I have three kinds of pain..the stomach itself is very tender, as if someone had plowed into me. It's not unlike super sore muscle pains. I also have gas pain in my right shoulder, which caused a lot of pain but that's subsiding. The other pain is a more like a tightness in my chest or reflux. Now that I'm home, I've been sipping on Premier Protein shakes and Water, but that's it. I may add in Unjury chicken broth later in the day.

What I"m wondering is what kind of pain y'all are feeling post op? My husband just left to pick up my prescriptions for Zofran and the acid reducer. No a fan of crushing up my other meds (e.g. my thyroid me) and getting those down. Yeck. Overall less pain that I was expecting, but realizing it will take a while for the tummy bloating and soreness to subside. Total pounds lost from the date I started all-liquids (Feb 3) until today is about 5-6 pounds. I plan on taking a 2-hour flight to see my family on March 7 and am pretty sure I will feel up to it.

I am driving myself crazy. I am normal a very balanced person but the past week or 2 my emotions are all over the place. I am scheduled for surgery Monday morning. I have had fleeting thoughts of cancelling the procedure, silently wishing my insurance suddenly cancelled approval or the surgeon announced he was retiring. Then earlier today I went to this site (so happy to have you all!!) and now I am excited and can't wait to start the next phase. I feel jealous of those that are weeks and months out. I just want to fast forward a week and have the scary part behind me.

I am driving myself crazy. I am normal a very balanced person but the past week or 2 my emotions are all over the place. I am scheduled for surgery Monday morning. I have had fleeting thoughts of cancelling the procedure, silently wishing my insurance suddenly cancelled approval or the surgeon announced he was retiring. Then earlier today I went to this site (so happy to have you all!!) and now I am excited and can't wait to start the next phase. I feel jealous of those that are weeks and months out. I just want to fast forward a week and have the scary part behind me.
You will do great! Everyone I have spoken to on here had been so supportive to me. I had mine on 2/7 and know how you feel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

2b smaller. I have surgery tomorrow as well. I can hardly wait. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve.
Best of luck, Marine! We'll be thinking of you! =)

That sounds so, so, so normal, 2B smaller! Whenever those feelings came up for me, I'd remind myself not only of the very good reasons I have to want surgery, but of the concept of homeostasis.
Homeostasis is basically the overwhelming need for things to stay the same. It's why it's so hard to make new habits/life changes... because self-preservation tends to tell us that if it ain't truly, absolutely, completely broke, we shouldn't be fixing it!
I don't know about you but I'd really like to go on a horse trek with my husband one day. I'd really like to feel comfortable enough to go on holiday with him to the Auzzie gold coast theme parks. I'd like to tramp the Tongariro crossing and the other Great NZ Walks. I'd love to bring a child into this world.
So that stinky old homeostasis can get stuffed [emoji6]

1 hour ago, TheMarine79 said:

2b smaller. I have surgery tomorrow as well. I can hardly wait. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve.

Good luck, Marine! Seemed like this day would never come, right? What time is your surgery? We'll be thinking of you, and check in with us when you are able.

1 hour ago, TheMarine79 said:

7:30. Have to be at hospital at 5:30 am

Oh, of course--you mentioned that before. Sorry about that!

Hi everyone,

I've just read through the February forum and your posts have been so inspirational - so a thousand thank-yous for reassurance when I needed it most! My surgery is scheduled for Feb 28th, so I may be the straggler of the group.

The date worked out well as Valentines day also became the 'last supper' 😄. Today is the third day of liver-shrinking Optifast and so far so good.

Best of luck to those heading into the OR in the morning!

7 hours ago, tgalloway said:

I did it. I got my sleeve on 2/15!

Congratulations! I had that same feeling--a sense of accomplishment as I wavered so long as to whether to get gastric bypass surgery. I hope you're healing well.