Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Does that mean you spent the entire weekend in the hospital? Sorry to hear that. Was there a reason they couldn't discharge you on Saturday?
I did spend the entire weekend. My pain was horrible yesterday and had a allergic reaction to something. Plus we had an ice storm so I probably would have stayed one more day anyways. Wouldnt want to end up in the ditch and be in alot more pain

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

A couple of people have asked where my name "Recidivist" comes from, so I'll explain.

A recidivist is a criminal who goes to jail, then keeps committing crimes when he gets out--and ends up going to jail again and again.

That was the story of my dieting history: I would lose 60 pounds, gain it back, diet again....and repeat endlessly. So I'm a recidivist when it comes to dieting.

I am 69 and having my surgery on feb 26th, quite nervous about the whole thing but I find the support here most helpful. I am a young 69 and finally decided to have the surgery after battling weight loss for some 50 years. I hope all goes well. I have decided not to share with my friends that I am having the surgery. Wish me well.

1 hour ago, tcowen648 said:

I did spend the entire weekend. My pain was horrible yesterday and had a allergic reaction to something. Plus we had an ice storm so I probably would have stayed one more day anyways. Wouldnt want to end up in the ditch and be in alot more pain

Sorry to hear about the long hospital stay. Where did you have the pain?

On 02/11/2019 at 20:22, Joe P said:

I am 69 and having my surgery on feb 26th, quite nervous about the whole thing but I find the support here most helpful. I am a young 69 and finally decided to have the surgery after battling weight loss for some 50 years. I hope all goes well. I have decided not to share with my friends that I am having the surgery. Wish me well.
Welcome! You will probably find a couple surgery buddies scheduled the same day as you. What is your pre op diet and when does it start?

12 minutes ago, Joe P said:

Welcome to the February group! I definitely wish you well. Surgery for me is the day after tomorrow and I have only shared my decision with my family and a very close friends. We are all nervous. First, we are having major surgery and second, we have to change our lifestyles forever. Good luck!

34 minutes ago, Joe P said:

Hi, Joe. I will turn 60 in May and am having my surgery on March 4. As I've said before, I have lost and gained the same 60 pounds many times over the past 30 years. My primary care doctor told me I likely had about 10 to 12 more years before dying of a massive stroke or heart attack and suggested I get a gastric bypass. I've been thinking about it for years, but that spurred me into action!

We should compare notes after surgery. As men of a certain age, we will likely have similar experiences and encounter issues that some of the young ones might not. What are your starting weight and goal weight, if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry to hear about the long hospital stay. Where did you have the pain?
My pain was in my left upper quadrant. It could have been gas pain. I know this is TMI but I didnt pass gas until yesterday morning. Whick I don't understand because I was up walking every hour for 3 or 4 laps which these laps weren't small it was actually 2 halls that I went down it wasna circle. I was walking about 15 minutes out of the hour. In the middle of the night if I got up to go potty I made at least 1 or 2 laps.

2 hours ago, tcowen648 said:

My pain was in my left upper quadrant. It could have been gas pain. I know this is TMI but I didnt pass gas until yesterday morning. Whick I don't understand because I was up walking every hour for 3 or 4 laps which these laps weren't small it was actually 2 halls that I went down it wasna circle. I was walking about 15 minutes out of the hour. In the middle of the night if I got up to go potty I made at least 1 or 2 laps.

Prior to my surgery, I was told that most of my post op pain would be in that area. Are you allowing yourself pain meds? It may just be from surgery.

I start the liquid diet on Tuesday a week prior to the surgery. I will be at about 315, I am hoping for 220. I have read about Robert Irvines Protein Powder, appears all the reviews have been excellent has anyone tried it? Still have not decided on what Protein powder to use. BTW I am 6-5. Thank you

Prior to my surgery, I was told that most of my post op pain would be in that area. Are you allowing yourself pain meds? It may just be from surgery.
Yeah I was on dialdid once they put me on oxycodine it was alot better.

On 02/12/2019 at 13:14, Joe P said:

I start the liquid diet on Tuesday a week prior to the surgery. I will be at about 315, I am hoping for 220. I have read about Robert Irvines Protein Powder, appears all the reviews have been excellent has anyone tried it? Still have not decided on what Protein powder to use. BTW I am 6-5. Thank you

I use Unjury powder. I like the chocolate splendor and the chicken Soup flavored.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:43 PM, EmzBee said:

Nooooo! Recidivist!

Well I hope you enjoy your second hooray to food =D And think... you'll be enjoying a last last steak when most of us are still eating baby food

My vote is to retain you as an honorary February member, for sure! Maybe now you can be a February baby, and a March wise old owl =D

Sent from my CPH1719 using BariatricPal mobile app

So, after my last-minute reprieve from the liquid diet, I've decided to take advantage of this week before I start liquids. I'm now doing shakes during the day and only eating dinner. I'm also weaning myself off of caffeine, especially Diet Coke. This should make the liquids easier when I start liquids next week.

So... looks like my surgery will be postponed. Still having crazy back pain, and surgeon wants bloods done to eliminate gallstones/pancreitis/etc.
I'm in for a two-hour wait to see my GP, then blood tests.
Urgh.

6 minutes ago, EmzBee said:

So... looks like my surgery will be postponed. Still having crazy back pain, and surgeon wants bloods done to eliminate gallstones/pancreitis/etc.
I'm in for a two-hour wait to see my GP, then blood tests.
Urgh.

So, EmzBee--you might be joining me in the March club soon! I understand how disappointing this is for you, but as I said before, it's best to make sure you are completely ready for this major surgery. I hope it all goes well, and keep us posted!