Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

3 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

thelostmermaid--What was the blood stool from? Did they say it was at all related to the surgery? Sorry to hear you had complications. Congrats on the weight loss!

So they actually didn't state where the blood was coming from, but they did say that it could be common with patients who undergo weight loss surgery. I'm part of another support group and asked them if anyone had experienced that and a good handful of them said yes. Some of them said the had bloody stool for up to a few days, and that they just have to let it pass but to make sure that your blood levels don't go down too much. And thank you, have you had surgery yet?

21 hours ago, Gottajustdoit said:

Congrats on the weight loss PRE surgery! I see your weight goal and I bet anything you'll blow by it. Nice!

Thanks, Gottajustdoit!

My weight loss goal is based on losing 75% of my excess weight from my highest weight... which is on the higher end of what the surgeon said I should aim for. Incidentally, it's also the weight I was when I moved to Christchurch for university back in 2007-8... I'd be quite content maintaining that weight long-term! But yes, at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if I make it back into my healthy weight range. Gosh, that'd be a blimmin' miracle. Ha!

I had my surgery on Tuesday - it went pretty well. Apparently there was a lot of scar tissue from my previoius leaky sleeve. The surgeon said have a stomach the size of an egg now!

I learned today that my new tiny stomach can not handle all my pills plus Vitamins at the same time. Will definitely start spreading them out.

4 minutes ago, ldawn said:

I learned today that my new tiny stomach can not handle all my pills plus Vitamins at the same time. Will definitely start spreading them out.

I will have to take most of my medications after surgery. Even though I consider them to be quite small, my surgeon says I need to crush them. I will be taking two soft chew Multivitamins, two soft chew calcium citrate, and one soft chew Iron + C after the surgery. What type of Vitamins are you taking and do you have to crush your pills?

5 hours ago, thelostmermaid said:

So they actually didn't state where the blood was coming from, but they did say that it could be common with patients who undergo weight loss surgery. I'm part of another support group and asked them if anyone had experienced that and a good handful of them said yes. Some of them said the had bloody stool for up to a few days, and that they just have to let it pass but to make sure that your blood levels don't go down too much. And thank you, have you had surgery yet?

Interesting! I am glad to hear that it is treatable. Hope you are feeling well now. My gastric bypass is on Feb 13 so I still have 6 days left of this miserable liquid diet. I am not adjusting well--not just hunger, but I have headaches and some nausea. The smell of some of the Soups I'm eating is off-putting. I went grocery shopping tonight for more supplies and--no surprise--it was difficult. For some reason I wanted cheese really badly. I thought of sucking on cheese cubes! I didn't, but was thinking about it! I did buy some sugar-free hard candy to keep me occupied when the hunger strikes.

Interesting! I am glad to hear that it is treatable. Hope you are feeling well now. My gastric bypass is on Feb 13 so I still have 6 days left of this miserable liquid diet. I am not adjusting well--not just hunger, but I have headaches and some nausea. The smell of some of the Soups I'm eating is off-putting. I went grocery shopping tonight for more supplies and--no surprise--it was difficult. For some reason I wanted cheese really badly. I thought of sucking on cheese cubes! I didn't, but was thinking about it! I did buy some sugar-free hard candy to keep me occupied when the hunger strikes.
I craved cheese, too!
The good thing about starting my diet early was that I had a cheat day where I got cheese and crackers out of my system. That and sushi, crisps, ice cream and a caramel slice. Nom!

First time I went thru the ketosis flu/detox was the hardest. Like you, I had headaches and nausea in the evenings... I had a policy of 'IDGAF about anything else, I will treat myself to sleeping as much as I want and playing hours of video games so long as I don't cheat on this stupid diet'. The distractions seemed to work, but I get that not everyone is lucky enough to be able to check out and watch hours of Netflix.

Though if media isn't your thing, I totally recommend pedicures, massages, going to a sauna/swimming etc... really important when you're doing something this hard to find ways to keep your honeypot full [emoji4]

Sent from my CPH1719 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 02/07/2019 at 18:28, Gottajustdoit said:

I will have to take most of my medications after surgery. Even though I consider them to be quite small, my surgeon says I need to crush them. I will be taking two soft chew Multivitamins, two soft chew calcium citrate, and one soft chew Iron + C after the surgery. What type of Vitamins are you taking and do you have to crush your pills?

I have chewable Bariatric Advantage multi and chewable Calcium. My Iron isn’t chewable and my B12 is a liquid. No one said I had to crush my pills. They aren’t huge but there are 5 of them. I should get to come off of some in the next couple months

Well day 2 of pre-op liquid diet is almost over and I know this is weird but I’m not really hungry (praise the lord) lol hopefully this will continue and I can make it to my surgery day on feb 13th...good luck everyone

43 minutes ago, EmzBee said:

I craved cheese, too!
The good thing about starting my diet early was that I had a cheat day where I got cheese and crackers out of my system. That and sushi, crisps, ice cream and a caramel slice. Nom!

First time I went thru the ketosis flu/detox was the hardest. Like you, I had headaches and nausea in the evenings... I had a policy of 'IDGAF about anything else, I will treat myself to sleeping as much as I want and playing hours of video games so long as I don't cheat on this stupid diet'. The distractions seemed to work, but I get that not everyone is lucky enough to be able to check out and watch hours of Netflix.

Though if media isn't your thing, I totally recommend pedicures, massages, going to a sauna/swimming etc... really important when you're doing something this hard to find ways to keep your honeypot full

The way I feel must be like the Keto flu, then. I never tried the keto diet so I didn't experience it. My nutritionist did not mention I'd feel so yucky. It is good to hear that I may be going through a normal process, then. I DO have Netflix and am binging at night after work when the kids and hubby are eating dinner. Cooking would be too difficult right now!

Hi, all. I've announced my date before, but as a reminder--I will be on February 25, probably the latest in the February group. My liquid diet will start on February 11, and my surgeon said I will be in the hospital for one night. I'm excited and apprehensive--I just want it over with at this point.
I'm February 25th too! Enjoying my last few big meals before pre op diet begins!

On 02/07/2019 at 19:47, Gottajustdoit said:

The way I feel must be like the Keto flu, then. I never tried the keto diet so I didn't experience it. My nutritionist did not mention I'd feel so yucky. It is good to hear that I may be going through a normal process, then. I DO have Netflix and am binging at night after work when the kids and hubby are eating dinner. Cooking would be too difficult right now!

Drink a little Pickle Juice. It helps w keto flu

Urgh, yes I totally feel your pain on cooking. No way am I cooking if I can't eat it. Lol!

Yes, even if you're not on the actual "keto" diet, if you're doing low to no carbs, your body will likely be going into ketosis (burning fat rather than carbs). If you look up "keto flu" you'll likely see your symptoms are completely normal [emoji4]

Look up "The Big Ward" if you want some inspo on Netflix! I loved the second season... it's a shoe about bariatric patients on the public NZ system [emoji4]

58 minutes ago, gerl86 said:
On 2/3/2019 at 7:19 PM, Recidivist said:
Hi, all. I've announced my date before, but as a reminder--I will be on February 25, probably the latest in the February group. My liquid diet will start on February 11, and my surgeon said I will be in the hospital for one night. I'm excited and apprehensive--I just want it over with at this point.

I'm February 25th too! Enjoying my last few big meals before pre op diet begins!

Hi, surgery buddy! I am also enjoying all of my favorite foods and intend to continue right up until next Monday, when I start the liquid diet. Where are you located? I'm in Washington DC.

I have seen quite a few people here did a pre-liquid diet. I'm a bit worried because I have probably gained weight in the last couple of weeks because I'm treating myself so often before the liquid diet starts. I suppose it will all be the same in the end.

Keep us posted on your progress!

2 minutes ago, Recidivist said:

Hi, surgery buddy! I am also enjoying all of my favorite foods and intend to continue right up until next Monday, when I start the liquid diet. Where are you located? I'm in Washington DC.

I have seen quite a few people here did a pre-liquid diet. I'm a bit worried because I have probably gained weight in the last couple of weeks because I'm treating myself so often before the liquid diet starts. I suppose it will all be the same in the end.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hey! So don't worry whatsoever, I was eating huge meals and drinking a lot of beer before my two week liquid diet started and if I'm honest, I cheated a little here and there but only with a bite or two. I probably gained weight between my last visit with the surgeon and the beginning of the two week liquid diet. I'm not saying to go out and cheat but I am telling you that it's normal. Within the time frame that I did the two week liquid diet I ended up loosing 17lbs, bringing me lower than I was when I saw my surgeon.

Best of luck to the two of you. Another great piece of advice is, when in the hospital if there are other patients who had weight loss surgery, don't compare yourself and progress to them, it will do you no good.