Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 weight loss buds

Psych appointment done. Phew.

Her main question was "tell me about your weight history", which meant I did go through my mental health/family history too, but she's cleared me for surgery provided she talks to my psychologist first.

Other half of the appointment was basically striking the fear of the gods into me.

She mentioned that people with mental health issues can experience a worsening after surgery. She wants to pull the "stop, freeze, and curl up into a ball" response I have to overwhelm away from me... and that kinda scares me because it opens the door to other harmful behaviours.

It can't just be easy, can it. Lol! [emoji28][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my CPH1719 using BariatricPal mobile app

15 hours ago, EmzBee said:

he mentioned that people with mental health issues can experience a worsening after surgery.

I wonder why this is. Did she elaborate? If we lose weight and feel better, why would that impact us mentally in a negative way? I've read this before in other places...but I don't understand it. Thanks, and glad you are on track. You got this!

Today is day 3 of my self imposed low carb Atkins style diet. I go in to see my PCP next Thursday the 24th for surgery clearance and want to get these holiday pounds off before they’re recorded somewhere, lol. Plus I’m due to start my 2 week all liquid diet on the 28th and figure I’ll do much better if I’m already in ketosis😁 I’m just going to have to get stern with myself those days between the 24th and 28th and not let myself talk me into food funerals.

I am also on February 5th so we will be triplets Good luck all & see ya Lighter

I had my last weigh in today and my surgery is scheduled for Feb 5th also!

Depending on insurance approval, I guess - it could still change.

Thankfully, my surgeon's office only has you do the pre-op diet for 3 days before, so I won't be going through the woes that some of you are, LOL!

13 hours ago, smedae said:

I wonder why this is. Did she elaborate? If we lose weight and feel better, why would that impact us mentally in a negative way? I've read this before in other places...but I don't understand it. Thanks, and glad you are on track. You got this!

Ha -- yeah, she did also say that losing weight can be very motivating/positive. Kind of a catch 22.

Her concern was more straight after surgery/if there are complications. She said something along the lines of "So, imagine you've had surgery, and you're five days post-op. What are you going to do when you're struggling to keep anything down and you feel absolutely miserable?"

I guess it was just about having those support systems in place... and really thinking about what that will be like before it happens.

From reading a few posts and things, it seems like some people have very intense. visceral reactions straight after surgery. They feel like "Oh fudgesticks, this was a complete mistake" and they really, really struggle. Fighting through feelings like that is freaking hard, so, I mean, I get it... there's no guarantees that any of us won't wake up thinking that this has been the worst decision ever. And I guess it's just about being prepared for that possibility?

That's my speculation, anyway.

Finally got a date-2/18! My goodness, that felt like ages. I orginally posted I thought I’d get in this month but my dr decided to take a couple weeks of vacation so I have to wait until he returns. Excited!

I had the lap band, it tangled in my intestines, was always sick! Revised to a sleeve Sept 2016, anesthesiologists decision The hardest part is the liquid diet! Hang in there, you will lose The band list me 65# then the sleeve another 85#. Only 20-25 to go.

Sounding pretty guys, Good Luck To All.