Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six months post-op+ : The Sophomores Thread

11 minutes ago, NYJenn said:

Can I just say when people say “dense protein” I want to puke 😂 what a gross description. Although I’m super weird and hate all words that describe food; cooking shows make me crawl out of my skin

I simply had to...

download (3).jpeg

On 03/29/2019 at 19:12, NYJenn said:

Can I just say when people say “dense protein” I want to puke 😂 what a gross description. Although I’m super weird and hate all words that describe food; cooking shows make me crawl out of my skin
What about moist? 😂

2 hours ago, sillykitty said:
3 hours ago, NYJenn said:

What about moist? 😂

Will I have friends after this? Survey says ...

2xbkbu.jpg

What is the alternative, Fluffy Protein? I used to get mad at a commercial about taking ones clothes to a reputable dry cleaner n did they honestly think we all search for a disreputable one? I think there are too many oxymoron in the world. And what is "spanking fresh" , just saw it in a magazine advert.

15 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Ohhh ... good topic, slider foods.

I have no real slider foods, that I have found. I don't eat yogurt, but if I eat Soup or ice cream/frozen yogurt, I still feel full/feel my restriction. If it's a fairly thin Soup, I can consume about 2 cups, maybe? Solid foods, nothing slides, crackers, Pasta, chips, about an ounce or two in, I can feel my restriction.

BUT, now days my stomach empties fast. It doesn't seem to matter if it is dense Protein, or carby stuff. It's gone out of my stomach usually in less than an hour, sometimes far less.

Since I've stopped doing IF, I've been a lot hungrier. Like if my stomach is empty, then I'm hungry.

Normally this would scare the crap out of me, the fact that I feel satiated for such a short amount of time. I'm good for right now, as I'm trying to put the breaks on my weight loss. But I'm hopeful that if the future when I stabilize I can utilize IF, because IME, it greatly reduces my hunger.

Girl that is terrifying!!!! ((hugs)) Ok, so in addition to your IF to have in the back pocket if you want to try for more satiety...try a 4-5 day test. Eat meals that are "DENSE" (am I yelling DENSE? :D ) Protein and very low carb with healthy fat...(ie Breaky: soft boiled egg with a little butter, a slice of avocado, a spear or two of asparagus) then see how long you feel full. At lunch have something like tuna salad or chicken salad (not very wet--no sugar or sweet in it) and have some carrots or celery or a lettuce leaf and then see how long it keeps you. dinner? Yep. DENSE hehe protein (but it can be MOIST if you want) + a couple bites of al dente broccoli and a little butter + a slice of avocado and a grape Tomato. See how long it takes you to feel hunger.

My guess is that even though your meals are small, your tummy has figured out that you are sending high glycemic carbs down your piehole and it's communicated with your pancreas. So the pancreas is dumping out insulin and your blood sugar is then going low and voila! Instant hunger, cuz your brain doesn't want to die cuz your blood sugar is too low. So you are on a blood sugar roller coaster. The way to flatten the peaks and valleys is to cut out/down on the high glycemic carb. (Which will suck for you--not saying full blown low carb, just sayin do a test, and then start testing some of the slower acting carbs like beans/lentils/quinoa/butternut squash/sweet potato/pasta...)

40 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Girl that is terrifying!!!! ((hugs)) Ok, so in addition to your IF to have in the back pocket if you want to try for more satiety...try a 4-5 day test. Eat meals that are "DENSE" (am I yelling DENSE? :D ) Protein and very low carb with healthy fat...(ie Breaky: soft boiled egg with a little butter, a slice of avocado, a spear or two of asparagus) then see how long you feel full. At lunch have something like tuna salad or chicken salad (not very wet--no sugar or sweet in it) and have some carrots or celery or a lettuce leaf and then see how long it keeps you. dinner? Yep. DENSE hehe Protein (but it can be MOIST if you want) + a couple bites of al dente broccoli and a little butter + a slice of avocado and a grape Tomato. See how long it takes you to feel hunger.

My guess is that even though your meals are small, your tummy has figured out that you are sending high glycemic carbs down your piehole and it's communicated with your pancreas. So the pancreas is dumping out insulin and your blood sugar is then going low and voila! Instant hunger, cuz your brain doesn't want to die cuz your blood sugar is too low. So you are on a blood sugar roller coaster. The way to flatten the peaks and valleys is to cut out/down on the high glycemic carb. (Which will suck for you--not saying full blown low carb, just sayin do a test, and then start testing some of the slower acting carbs like beans/lentils/quinoa/butternut squash/sweet potato/pasta...)

I'll try this also because I can literally hear my stomach emptying... everyone can hear it 😂- but I think I'm already lowish carb most of the time, need to really check, but my fat content is usually high...

Thanks for the suggestions 💗

Edited by GreenTealael

1 minute ago, GreenTealael said:

I'll try this also because I can literally hear my stomach emptying... Everyone can - but I think I'm already lowish carb most of the time, need to really check, but my fat content is usually high...

Thanks for the suggestions 💗

I swear, figuring out how to hack our bodies is cray, right? I think (especially in maintenance) that high or higher fat is where it's at as long as your carbs are low enough to put you into a ketotic state. Cuz if you're still a sugar burner and you combine high fat with high carbs, then it's a recipe for heart disease. The rule is kinda for health: higher carb + super low healthy fats OR low carb + high healthy fats to satiety (but no fat bombs need apply ;) ) Fat bombs = Keto candy. Ain't nobody got time for that! :D

I hope you will try it and tell us your experiences!!!

My experiments with it since about month 6 when the mean-hungries came back are that I can "choose" to have a cheat meal (didn't realize how terrible they are for our arteries at that point) of high carb (think Pasta or pizza or mexican food out), but that I better be ready for the fall out. The fall out for me is about 4 days of terrifying hunger. Super hunger! Everything is woken up and I want to eat continually. Even in moderate portions (I'm talking at 6 months I was still maintaining about a 1/2-3/4c volume I think?)

And when I do my low carb as I described to you guys and don't have any alcohol or wine or sugar free sweeteners/sugar free candies, omg. My satiety goes up up up and I'm happy with 1-2 meals per day (mostly of the proper size ;) ) and I feel more peaceful. When I add IF in, it's even better.

Until I started hanging out with Jason Fung's Facebook group I had not realized the effect of even cephalic insulin response to things like liquid stevia. Thought that one was an "ok" one! :( But apparently not. Cuz when I dropped it too for the most part, my hunger level decreased even more. And I can tell the days I eat it, I'm hungry and looking for food.

7 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I swear, figuring out how to hack our bodies is cray, right? I think (especially in maintenance) that high or higher fat is where it's at as long as your carbs are low enough to put you into a ketotic state. Cuz if you're still a sugar burner and you combine high fat with high carbs, then it's a recipe for heart disease. The rule is kinda for health: higher carb + super low healthy fats OR low carb + high healthy fats to satiety (but no fat bombs need apply ;) ) Fat bombs = Keto candy. Ain't nobody got time for that! :D

I hope you will try it and tell us your experiences!!!

My experiments with it since about month 6 when the mean-hungries came back are that I can "choose" to have a cheat meal (didn't realize how terrible they are for our arteries at that point) of high carb (think Pasta or pizza or mexican food out), but that I better be ready for the fall out. The fall out for me is about 4 days of terrifying hunger. Super hunger! Everything is woken up and I want to eat continually. Even in moderate portions (I'm talking at 6 months I was still maintaining about a 1/2-3/4c volume I think?)

And when I do my low carb as I described to you guys and don't have any alcohol or wine or sugar free sweeteners/sugar free candies, omg. My satiety goes up up up and I'm happy with 1-2 meals per day (mostly of the proper size ;) ) and I feel more peaceful. When I add IF in, it's even better.

Until I started hanging out with Jason Fung's Facebook group I had not realized the effect of even cephalic insulin response to things like liquid stevia. Thought that one was an "ok" one! :( But apparently not. Cuz when I dropped it too for the most part, my hunger level decreased even more. And I can tell the days I eat it, I'm hungry and looking for food.< /span>

Hmmmm I may try dropping my sweeteners to check as well...

Thanks 💚

Saw this on the Facebook and was curious about all of us sophomores. Does this resonate with you?

image.png.65e60283749fb6cb4dca1a3d1175f9bd.png

For me, I can say I in no way miss "the old me". I recognize that self-loathing, whiny, sick, dying bia*ch and she still tries to lurk just below my new shiny paint and body.

I AM still getting used to the new updated model and I am still very frightened that it will all come back and work constantly to map out an action plan for fighting it at the 5lb zone rather than the 50lb zone.

How about you guys? How do you feel about this meme?

3 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Hmmmm I may try dropping my sweeteners to check as well...

Thanks 💚

You should totally try it! See what you think and tell me everything! :)

(Oh btw? I ate yogurt/cottage cheese with blueberries and almonds this morning-sweetened with liquid stevia and a boiled egg on the side. And I'm still full, but I sound like a Wookie sitting here. You can hear my tummy emptying and the sucking wookie noised from it as it does! So far no hunger, but it's only been 15 minutes since eating it. Good times! Adventures in FoodTown!) I'll let you know when I feel hungry again.

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Saw this on the Facebook and was curious about all of us sophomores. Does this resonate with you?

For me, I can say I in no way miss "the old me". I recognize that self-loathing, whiny, sick, dying bia*ch and she still tries to lurk just below my new shiny paint and body.

I AM still getting used to the new updated model and I am still very frightened that it will all come back and work constantly to map out an action plan for fighting it at the 5lb zone rather than the 50lb zone.

Regain is in my thoughts every day. Sadly, it makes it so that even when I decide to have a cheat meal, I can't really enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I think i said it like 3847÷8=9×8÷7÷7×5113 before but i feel like the exact same person just in a smaller package now. And not even kidding. Some small mods like i have less patience for BS... But I'm ok with the same old me.

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You should totally try it! See what you think and tell me everything! :)

(Oh btw? I ate yogurt/cottage cheese with blueberries and almonds this morning-sweetened with liquid stevia and a boiled egg on the side. And I'm still full, but I sound like a Wookie sitting here. You can hear my tummy emptying and the sucking wookie noised from it as it does! So far no hunger, but it's only been 15 minutes since eating it. Good times! Adventures in FoodTown!) I'll let you know when I feel hungry again.

So, your stomach still gurgles a lot, too?

4 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Regain is in my thoughts every day. Sadly, it makes it so that even when I decide to have a cheat meal, I can't really enjoy it.

Same i only ever sorta cheat so i dont lose track of what im supposed to be doing

😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞

1 minute ago, GreenTealael said:

Same i only ever sorta cheat so i dont lose track of what im supposed to be doing

😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞

I know what you mean. We go out to eat Mexican food after church most Sundays. I eat the inside of one chicken enchilada. Not exactly going overboard!