Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six months post-op+ : The Sophomores Thread



Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

I like long term big goals, but I'm kind of ungrateful trash in the end when I achieve them 😂😂😂😂😂 so I think I need short term incremental put stop goals too. I think im going to keep trying to for small and large sustainable changes moving forward.

I soooo get THIS! Me too, right?!!! For some reason, the "BIG" goal feels unattainable/scary/meh...something. And then I get to feeling so complacent with how good I'm doing "where I'm at" that I just lose sight of the big finish and so never finish. I feel like having mini, attainable goals, helps to at least let me feel some sense of continued accomplishment? But...I haven't been successful fully with this method, so maybe I'm missing that second step of "the big picture" down the road that will require deferred gratification?

11 hours ago, sideeye said:

I saw an article in the NYT (so long ago I can’t find it again) about how one problem with incremental change is our inability to project the benefit out compared to the short-term benefit. When you start weight loss and are losing pounds every week, that benefit is right there in your face, but once the losses become fractional, the immediate gratification isn’t as strong. So in my case tonight: do I want to eat this third tiny shard of almond brittle now, or do I want to look 5 years down the line and ask myself if this third piece right now will help get me where I want to be? Specifically, the technique asks you to envision yourself 5 years from now in a pretty detailed way, and use that specific vision as a touchpoint when making all decisions (this is more effective than individually projecting today’s actions into isolated future visions, because when you don’t link it all together into a grander vision you’re able to explain away a LOT.)

That mindset has helped me a lot in making decisions. Like “in five years, I want to be typing on my couch in a home I own in the middle of a weekday because my job has that sort of flexibility”. I had a very specific idea of what I’d be wearing, my mood, like a snapshot of my future life. Then you look at your life right now and ask what small change you could make to progress towards the goal/vision, with the knowledge that inaction will mean DEFINITELY not achieving that vision in 5 years.

As you all know, I eventually want to become Renee Russo out of the Thomas Crown Affair. So that means right now whittling down my closet, starting to invest in GOOD clothing selectively, and paying a lot more attention to skincare, but I’ll eventually ramp things up incrementally and in five years achieve my vision of being globally respected in my field and shagging a millionaire international art thief on a tropical island while wearing a series of devastatingly chic outfits. Have to start somewhere, so I didn’t have the third shard of brittle and had coffee instead.

Yes! This is kinda my takeaway from that article! The bigger/grander vision! I really WANT that. You know? (And I now ALSO want to be Renee Russo in TCA with a hot bod/face/hair and a great wardrobe and for Mr. F. to be rollin' in dough with an internationally famous art collection! :D

Bravo on deferring eating that 3rd shard of toffee!!! Woooootttt!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Sure, only requirement is 6 months post-op! Happy to have you!

Yay! @proud grammy So glad you found us!!! Post like a ho!!!! You know you want to! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I appreciate you sharing this article. It really resonated with me.

YVW! It hit me the same way so had to share with my friends! I remember when I first realized I was capable of #1! It literally meant the end of panic attacks and also crippling depression. Realizing I had the power to change my life was the first step in the path to healing and to bringing me to where I am today. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

soooo get THIS! Me too, right?!!! For some reason, the "BIG" goal feels unattainable/scary/meh...something. And then I get to feeling so complacent with how good I'm doing "where I'm at" that I just lose sight of the big finish and so never finish. I feel like having mini, attainable goals, helps to at least let me feel some sense of continued accomplishment? But...I haven't been successful fully with this method, so maybe I'm missing that second step of "the big picture" down the road that will require deferred gratification

I was try to explain this to a friend the other day but he didn't get it either.

I always meet and complete my goals, often surpassing them but they often feel empty. If i'm solely goal driven I have a focus like you've never seen in your life, but when I get there and the blinders are removed, I forget why I was doing it in the first place or at least why I needed it.

Then it feels less important. That's no way to live a life. I niw know that I have to stop and take siestas.

I also recently played with the idea that I should never get exactly what I want (since I'm so ungrateful about it) just ever so slightly less, so I have something to continue to grasp at. The slightly unattainable.

FML thanks MASLOW

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think I'm going to join you Intermittent Fasting lunatics. I'm pretty sure I'm accidentally doing it anyway, but with a final string cheese/almond brittle 9-10pm cheat that probably isn't doing me any favors. I don't like eating in the morning and typically want to start eating at noon, and if I pay attention I can shut down at 6-7pm, but I do have one question...

What can I drink while on the fasting segment of the day? Is it just straight up Water and tisanes, or can I drink a coffee with cream in it or Crystal Lite? I'm having a hard time envisioning morning without a coffee or tea in it.

Edited by sideeye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, sideeye said:

I think I'm going to join you Intermittent Fasting lunatics. I'm pretty sure I'm accidentally doing it anyway, but with a final string cheese/almond brittle 9-10pm cheat that probably isn't doing me any favors. I don't like eating in the morning and typically want to start eating at noon, and if I pay attention I can shut down at 6-7pm, but I do have one question...

What can I drink while on the fasting segment of the day? Is it just straight up Water and tisanes, or can I drink a coffee with cream in it or Crystal Lite?

Do you need the link? Here it is!

I think it's a matter of preference and belief. :) We all do it a little differently and meh, that works! If you're hard core, then it's honestly nothing with calories/carbs/protein during the fast. So anything that doesn't make your body think it's having to digest food--including artificial sweeteners.

But few of us are purists. :) So whatever gets you to the finish is what works. Some days for me it's only plain Water, black coffee, and black - green tea/Matcha (flavored non calorie tea bags are fine). But other days, I need a cup of broth or a splash of Protein Drink in my coffee or tea, or a squirt of liquid stevia. But in the end, anything that you can do to improve is good news. Right? :D

Welcome to our clubhouse the dark side!!! :D

Edited by FluffyChix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

I was try to explain this to a friend the other day but he didn't get it either.

I always meet and complete my goals, often surpassing them but they often feel empty. If i'm solely goal driven I have a focus like you've never seen in your life, but when I get there and the blinders are removed, I forget why I was doing it in the first place or at least why I needed it.

Then it feels less important. That's no way to live a life. I niw know that I have to stop and take siestas.

I also recently played with the idea that I should never get exactly what I want (since I'm so ungrateful about it) just ever so slightly less, so I have something to continue to grasp at. The slightly unattainable.

FML thanks MASLOW

Oh Maslow...that beast! hahaha!!! I get it! I get it!!!

Why do you feel your ungrateful? Do you think you don't deserve the goal? Do you feel anticlimactic?

Edited by FluffyChix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for this! I am up over the holidays-7 lbs. lost 2 lbs today, and want to lose another 10 to be at goal, which will be 110 lbs down from highest weight. I am purging the house of sweets post holiday and I’m going to do a dry January. Had a few cocktails and glasses of wine over the holidays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, sideeye said:

I think I'm going to join you Intermittent Fasting lunatics. I'm pretty sure I'm accidentally doing it anyway, but with a final string cheese/almond brittle 9-10pm cheat that probably isn't doing me any favors. I don't like eating in the morning and typically want to start eating at noon, and if I pay attention I can shut down at 6-7pm, but I do have one question...

What can I drink while on the fasting segment of the day? Is it just straight up Water and tisanes, or can I drink a coffee with cream in it or Crystal Lite? I'm having a hard time envisioning morning without a coffee or tea in it.

This is me. I do IF without trying really, and if I want to I can narrow the eating window down pretty easily. Like you I rarely am hungry in the morning. It is just a matter of pushing myself to eat as late as possible, sometimes 2-3 pm, and then shut down any eating late at night. Though if I'm truly hungry I will eat, even if it's late, but try not to if it's just cravings.

I can't speak to the strictness, calories in coffee cream, etc. All the beverages I drink are calorie free (except alcohol and Protein shakes), so I don't have that challenge. The theory behind IF is about keeping your body pulling energy from fat stores instead of from what you have ingested. So if you can eliminate or minimize calories during the fast then theoretically your results will be better.

Edited by sillykitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checking into the new thread!

Have a great day sophomores!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Oh Maslow...that beast! hahaha!!! I get it! I get it!!!

Why do you feel your ungrateful? Do you think you don't deserve the goal? Do you feel anticlimactic?

Totally anticlimactic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Totally anticlimactic

Hey, maybe you outsmart yourself? Maybe as you see the goal getting close, you quickly make a post goal goal? Like a back-up plan. And you start practicing gratitude and being proud of yourself. Then you move on to the next goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who all turned over a "new leaf" and re-began their appointed lifestyle today? How'd today go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started eating at noon, and am now watching the clock in near-panic wondering what else I can eat before 8pm. So: FINE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sideeye said:

I started eating at noon, and am now watching the clock in near-panic wondering what else I can eat before 8pm. So: FINE.

How much/what have you had? (protein) and are you hungry? What are you thinking about eating?

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm trying to get my Protein Shake in before dinner. *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×