Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six months post-op+ : The Sophomores Thread

13 minutes ago, KarenLR75 said:

Oh my gosh in 2 days I can LEGIT post to this thread (um....you don't see me right now....just pre-announcing my upcoming membership...LOL). Will be 6 months on 1/25/20!!

Think I'll be moving over from another thread...I wish more of the folks on there were further out so I could invite them along..but I think many are 3 months and less. Will go back and see..

Start advertising for the new Sophomore Class. :)

I don’t know if I’m still a Sophomore, I kind of feel like a Junior now. I had my 18 month post op today! The Dr. & nutritionist are both thrilled with my results, although my Dr. would like me to gain 10 pounds because of my age (59). I was honest with him and said there was no way I could psychologically handle an intentional gain at this point which he understood. I’m not losing anymore and I’ve read that a 10 pound bounce is very common by year 2.

There is a monthly support/informational meeting at the hospital for pre and post op patients, they asked me to give a presentation followed by a question and answer session next month. I’m kind of nervous and very flattered that they asked me to do it. I asked if she wanted me to send her a copy of what I plan to say and she replied, ‘No, we trust you”.

I could use some advice. I’m going to discuss my experience of course, foods, menu planning, restaurants, exercise, journaling and most importantly attitude, emotions, expectations, reality and getting and keeping your mindset and motivation.

Please hit me up with ideas, I want to do a good job!

@Cheeseburgh

What an honor, you'll do a great job!

I've been thinking about this ever since you posted it. I think what I would have liked to hear early on in the process is that there are many different paths to WLS success. My surgeon emphasized "forbidden foods". I KNEW that would not work for me long term. So I had some doubts about if I could forge my own path and if it would be successful. In theses last 2 years post WLS, I've come to believe it's not about a strict list of do's and don'ts but instead determination and mindfulness. A cookie cutter approach doesn't work for everyone, but that doesn't mean WLS won't work.

I have my next check up in a little less than 2 weeks (17mos post op) and I was kind of down on my self about not being at goal yet. I’ve been working out/ IF but my body is hanging onto these last 20lbs for dear life. I know it’s just a stall and they get longer the further out you get but it’s still frustrating when you hit one. 😒

18 hours ago, Jolexis said:

I have my next check up in a little less than 2 weeks (17mos post op) and I was kind of down on my self about not being at goal yet. I’ve been working out/ IF but my body is hanging onto these last 20lbs for dear life. I know it’s just a stall and they get longer the further out you get but it’s still frustrating when you hit one. 😒

Try to think of it as a brief pause to let your body recover. I wish surgeons would discuss stalling more often. It happens at one point or another for almost everyone. If its so common it MUST be a part of the process.

(But I understand no one really wants to hear it when having a stall)

Remain diligent and motivated, stalls always break❤

Very rambly but I don't disagree. How are you?

Ugh, that guy! Haha

Yeah, I agree about there being no such thing as maintenance. I'm always going to be on a diet or healthy eating plan, or whatever you want to call it. I don't plan to ever stop counting calories and being vigilant about not gaining.

BUT I had plenty of confidence when I was fat because I am more than my weight. If I didn't accept myself as a fat person, I never would have lost the weight.

I agree, wholeheartedly! And, I believe Dr. V to be wise, sincere and a very good friend to the WLS community. His analogy of a the small garden is SPOT ON! This espalier was created for our front courtyard wall to add depth, interest and beauty. The initial set up required a thoughtful schematic plan then the paint/construction/wiring. Within one tropical season of patience, direction, vigilance and determination - The confederate jasmine seedlings planted in nutrient rich, high quality soil + solid foundation has grown into a stunning and hardy vine after 16 years. It has weathered six serious hurricanes, droughts and other stresses over the years. I merely monitor, prune, fertilize and finesse on occasion. His advice is timeless and applicable to any human journey. We are holistic beings of many facets. Thank you for posting, Green Tealael!!! It was like having coffee on the side porch today with an inspiring friend, especially in this current state of isolation. And, a great salad buddy! I, too, cultivated being a happy, confident and well adjusted overweight. That goal was paramount in becoming slim with joy and success - Not drama and struggle to which he speaks. Setting up an environment for success. We've got this! Happy spring!

IMG_3627.jpeg

IMG_3617.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3256.jpeg

20131015_B_028.jpg

I’m trying not to obsess over the scale and I am watching everything I put in my mouth. I average 900-122 calories a day but usually stay at 1000. But that SCALE! I get my Protein and Water in like clockwork. Yesterday morning at 5am weighed in at 257(down 4lb from the week before) I STUPIDLY weighed today at 1pm 264!(Same scale) WHY do I do this to myself 7mo post op RNY Started at 392 lb now 257lb