Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six months post-op+ : The Sophomores Thread

Agree to all of the above comments.
I’m not totally “there” yet, but I definitely enjoy the freedom associated with not being hungry all the time.

10 hours ago, Sheribear68 said:

Agree to all of the above comments.
I’m not totally “there” yet, but I definitely enjoy the freedom associated with not being hungry all the time.

I concur, I am absolutely ecstatic to no longer be living in a continuous food Coma! So many wasted years of frustration, anger, disappointment and the endless shifting thru all the mixed food messages. It's as if the rose colored glasses have been taken off. I Celebrate the miracle of my sleeve everyday, and could never have imagined dropping 120 pounds and counting in less than a year. We all should be very very proud. And, for the first time in a long time - Thanksgiving dinner is just another meal for substance + nutrition NOT a grand event. Perhaps, after a few years pass - I'll try a little bite of this and that? But my current rule of thumb for my body type and goal is to reframe from any processed or rich ingredients. Headed to our friends home with my little shrimp cocktail in tote. Like you noted, FREEDOM indeed. We no longer are slaves to food pre-occupation. None can begin to fathom this unless personally experienced.

Absolutely. Especially right after surgery I really wanted my surgeon's approval that I was doing things right, which probably helped me stay on plan but was kind of unusual for me. I usually don't care that much what people think.

On 12/01/2019 at 17:21, GreenTealael said:
Yes bedside manor does matter but if I had to choose between being an excellent surgeon with no bed side or a not so good surgeon with great bedside. I’d take the excellent surgeon w no bed side. I’d prefer him/her to be both but you don’t always get that.
Luckily for me I haven’t had anyone with a bad bedside. My Bariatric Surgeon Dr Khoi Du was wonderful Surgeon with a awesome bedside.

I think to a degree, bedside manner matters. But honestly? I'd rather have a first rate surgeon than someone with great personality. I needed my surgeon's skills 3 times. I can't even imagine having anyone else messing around inside my abdomen now.

At first, I was scared spitless cuz she was super serious and stern and deadpan. I thought, "Oh great...I got Miss Congeniality as my surgeon." I even contemplated going to another surgeon.

But I stuck it out knowing and trusting my oncologist who referred me to her specifically. I figured he must think she's great if he puts himself out to refer her. And I'm glad I hung on. She's an excellent surgeon, I have VERY very very minor issues through the last 2 years and along the way, we became friends. Now she comes in wreathed in smiles, we hug and chat for about 5-10minutes catching up on our lives!

Yes, bedside manner is hugely important to me. It doesn’t score higher than skill, but BAD bedside manner will absolutely result in me leaving.

I find that bad bedside manner is closely related to people who see patients as either idiots or widgets. I am sometimes going to want something explained in more detail, and “I’m the Doctor, you’re the patient, you’re going to have to trust me” is not going to fly with me.

when the bedside manner is poor because someone’s socially awkward or genuinely doesn’t know they’re initially coming off poorly, that’s something I can work with. Arrogance is not.

As a health care professional, I’m ALWAYS reminding my patients that they own their healthcare, the provider is the person with the expertise yes, but ultimately it is their body and their health.
Sometimes I get odd looks, but when I go to do a consult and people want to move on with their day I’ll hold their rxs hostage sometimes until they can at least tell me what they’re even taking them for.
When people apologize to me for asking a question, my answer is that my JOB is to make sure they’re as healthy and as informed as possible. It stuns me that not every single professional in the field has the same attitude

On 12/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, Sheribear68 said:

As a health care professional, I’m ALWAYS reminding my patients that they own their healthcare, the provider is the person with the expertise yes, but ultimately it is their body and their health.
Sometimes I get odd looks, but when I go to do a consult and people want to move on with their day I’ll hold their rxs hostage sometimes until they can at least tell me what they’re even taking them for.
When people apologize to me for asking a question, my answer is that my JOB is to make sure they’re as healthy and as informed as possible. It stuns me that not every single professional in the field has the same attitude

I agree that we need to be our own healthcare advocates.

Question: Are your consults done in private? (I know if I was taking meds for a disease I didn't want to discuss or that carries social stigmas {like mental illnesses or STDs} and my pharmacist wanted me to I explain why I'm taking certain meds especially within earshot of others... I would be irate, I value privacy)

Now asking if I had any questions about my meds feels different (which is what I have experienced)

Edited by GreenTealael

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Fascinating! I had no idea that soybean oil was commonly used for commercial frying.

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Meh ... studies on mice don't hold much value for me. A moderately large study on humans, now that would get my attention.

Oh my gosh in 2 days I can LEGIT post to this thread (um....you don't see me right now....just pre-announcing my upcoming membership...LOL). Will be 6 months on 1/25/20!!

Think I'll be moving over from another thread...I wish more of the folks on there were further out so I could invite them along..but I think many are 3 months and less. Will go back and see..