Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six months post-op+ : The Sophomores Thread

Yesterday marked 8 months post-op for me. I can't believe how quickly time is flying! My post-op weight loss is pretty tame (55 pounds). I attribute it to being a slow loser, but also to falling off the wagon when some serious illnesses struck my family and I relied on my old pal food to get me through. I've been slowly getting back on track and my weight loss is really picking up again. Counting when I started my journey a little over a year ago, I'm down 92 pounds. It's pretty insane. I'm definitely getting "lazy" now that I'm super comfortable with my weight, I can do so many more things and I feel great. But I have about 35 more pounds to lose and would love to be at goal by my surgiversary. So I'm gonna make these next 4 months count!

New topic alert:

Refocusing or Reclaiming your diet

For the Jan Challenge I hosted I decided to give up Protein Cookies and it rolled into the Feb Challenge too, but I keep the box around for after.

Well I gave them away. I don't plan to repurchase again because really I don't need it. Anyone else becoming *more* diligent to stave off regain/poor habits? Or Nah...

IMG_0790.JPG.b79700302cdd6b7d74964ea42cf6c8d0.JPG

I am having a really crappy night, and I’m trying not to beat myself up and to just really take care of myself. I am in the process of separating/divorcing, and although Valentine’s Day was never that big a thing for us as a couple, today is hitting me really hard. I am just one solid ball of anxiety and sadness right now, I canceled my personal training session because I just want to be home and in a ball and eating all the pizza and chocolate. I feel like an idiot for canceling it because I know that working out would make me feel better, but I just can’t get into a head space to be up for that right now. 

I need to remind myself that this is a pretty uniquely hard time for me, and just because I’m not working out when I’m going through this doesn’t mean I’m going to not work out regularly when things are normal… Right?

On 02/14/2019 at 18:00, AEdoesRnY said:

I am having a really crappy night, and I’m trying not to beat myself up and to just really take care of myself. I am in the process of separating/divorcing, and although Valentine’s Day was never that big a thing for us as a couple, today is hitting me really hard. I am just one solid ball of anxiety and sadness right now, I canceled my personal training session because I just want to be home and in a ball and eating all the pizza and chocolate. I feel like an idiot for canceling it because I know that working out would make me feel better, but I just can’t get into a head space to be up for that right now. 

I need to remind myself that this is a pretty uniquely hard time for me, and just because I’m not working out when I’m going through this doesn’t mean I’m going to not work out regularly when things are normal… Right?

Exactly. What an amazingly difficult situation you’re in! Don’t be too hard on yourself. Giving yourself a chance to work through and process your feelings might be just what you need!

Good luck!

On 02/14/2019 at 17:48, insta_adventurer said:

Exactly. What an amazingly difficult situation you’re in! Don’t be too hard on yourself. Giving yourself a chance to work through and process your feelings might be just what you need!

Good luck!
Thanks for the support!

I am trying to focus on being proud of myself for not ordering pizza/going the emotional eating route. I ate what I’d planned to eat and then went to bed at 8:30. Here’s to hopefully going to the gym this weekend!

Also trying to refocus on the fact that my last weigh in was 202.2. That means I’m less than three pounds away from being under 200 for the first time since middle school!!!!

5 hours ago, AEdoesRnY said:

Thanks for the support!

I am trying to focus on being proud of myself for not ordering pizza/going the emotional eating route. I ate what I’d planned to eat and then went to bed at 8:30. Here’s to hopefully going to the gym this weekend!

Also trying to refocus on the fact that my last weigh in was 202.2. That means I’m less than three pounds away from being under 200 for the first time since middle school!!!!

I'm so sorry you're going through a rough time. But focus on what you're doing right. Not falling back into emotional eating is a huge win! You're doing great. Leave room for the human moments and be kinder to yourself, especially right now.

Wow! Hitting onderland will be an amazing high!

My plateau/stall has finally started to give way. I’d been hovering at 228 for the previous month or two. However, the last week it started creeping down again and now I’m at 223. Once I break 220 I will be the smallest I’ve ever been as an adult. I’ve got 5 months to hit my team’s goal of onederland before my year anniversary.

02/15/2019 11:08 PM, insta_adventurer said:

Wow! Hitting onderland will be an amazing high!

My plateau/stall has finally started to give way. I’d been hovering at 228 for the previous month or two. However, the last week it started creeping down again and now I’m at 223. Once I break 220 I will be the smallest I’ve ever been as an adult. I’ve got 5 months to hit my team’s goal of onederland before my year anniversary.
I’m so excited about your plateau breaking! And you and I had similar benchmarks - 217 was the smallest I’d ever been as an adult (after an entire summer of being a counselor at a weight loss camp). It was so exciting once I cleared that hurdle! It’s also when I cut my hair off because that summer was when I originally did the short hair thing and I’d always told myself if I ever got to 217 again I’d do it!

I’ve been moving from plateau to plateau. I was 216-213 for a month and a half and then magically I dropped to 205-203 over the next month, and now I have a feeling I’ll be here for a bit (I weighed in at 204 this morning). If I can somehow get to 199 before my birthday (3/6) that’d be amazing, but it’s starting to feel unlikely...we shall see!

Thank you again for your support, and sorry for dragging this thread into a self-indulgent pity party for a bit!!

On 2/14/2019 at 5:35 PM, GreenTealael said:

New topic alert:

Refocusing or Reclaiming your diet

For the Jan Challenge I hosted I decided to give up Protein Cookies and it rolled into the Feb Challenge too, but I keep the box around for after.

Well I gave them away. I don't plan to repurchase again because really I don't need it. Anyone else becoming *more* diligent to stave off regain/poor habits? Or Nah...

IMG_0790.JPG.b79700302cdd6b7d74964ea42cf6c8d0.JPG

What's wrong with Protein Cookies? :(

5 hours ago, BlueCrush said:

Anyone else becoming *more* diligent to stave off regain/poor habits? Or Nah...

I fall into the “nah” category, though I don’t see that as particularly noble...

One thing I have started doing is keeping a list on my phone of stuff I don’t actually like anymore. My brain says I like it, but then my taste buds say no. Like during last week’s snow/ice storm when I thought “ah, might as well buy a slice of banana bread for later, since I won’t want to leave the house...” Not a good decision in the first place (see “nah”), but on top of that pretty much ANY baked good purchased in a store is now way too sweet for me. Homemade is a different story, but restaurant baked goods go on my “you don’t actually like this anymore” list.

This plateau has lasted for almost 2 months though, so I may have to power through the “nah”s and get a lot more strict, just to change up the tempo.

12 hours ago, AEdoesRnY said:

Thank you again for your support, and sorry for dragging this thread into a self-indulgent pity party for a bit!!

Hey, this thread is here for all the ups and downs! You weren’t self-indulgent at all, you were justifiably low. Glad you’re feeling more upbeat.

Did anyone have just Tramadol for pain after surgery? I've got to get my gallbladder out in about 10 days (the day after my 1-yr surgiversary for sleeve) and the dr. seems pretty adamant that he doesn't want to prescribe oxycodone, which is what I had for my 2 weight-loss surgeries. This has me pretty nervous. I'm not shopping for pain meds, the only 2 times I've had a prescription for oxycodone was my other surgeries, so I don't know why he's so nervous about it. He's willing to prescribe hydrocodone, but I can't take it. Any advice is welcome!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

4 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Did anyone have just Tramadol for pain after surgery? I've got to get my gallbladder out in about 10 days (the day after my 1-yr surgiversary for sleeve) and the dr. seems pretty adamant that he doesn't want to prescribe oxycodone, which is what I had for my 2 weight-loss surgeries. This has me pretty nervous. I'm not shopping for pain meds, the only 2 times I've had a prescription for oxycodone was my other surgeries, so I don't know why he's so nervous about it. He's willing to prescribe hydrocodone, but I can't take it. Any advice is welcome!

I did as I could not tolerate many other pain meds. It worked for me.

My perfect "cocktail" once they stopped the pain pump was:

IV Tylenol >> liquid tylenol at home

Gabapentine

Tramadol

Supposedly the combination of those 3 are synergistic and provide similar level of relief as narcotics. They worked for me. And I didn't have any other big guns after about mid afternoon of the day of surgery. I weaned off them pretty quickly at home and if I needed anything, just took liquid tylenol.

Hope your surgery goes smoothly and precisely and that you're up and healing in no time at all!!! ((hugs)) Sending healing prayers your way!

9 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

My perfect "cocktail" once they stopped the pain pump was:

IV Tylenol >> liquid tylenol at home

Gabapentine

Tramadol

Supposedly the combination of those 3 are synergistic and provide similar level of relief as narcotics. They worked for me. And I didn't have any other big guns after about mid afternoon of the day of surgery. I weaned off them pretty quickly at home and if I needed anything, just took liquid tylenol.

Hope your surgery goes smoothly and precisely and that you're up and healing in no time at all!!! ((hugs)) Sending healing prayers your way!

I have no idea what I had in the hospital, but since this is day surgery, I'm sure it won't be what I had before. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to sleep for several days since I'm already up 5-6 times a night. (Saturday night, I gave up and watched Murder, She Wrote reruns at 3 in the morning. UGH! (That's what I used the oxy for before-not during the day, just at night.)