Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mousecat medical/dietary saga thread

Just using this thread as a running list of my medical/dietary commentary and questions. lol.

Called the doc to move up my appointment since I can't eat and he did an emergency endoscopy today. He said everything he can see looks fine. He said he made my pouch twice the normal size and bypassed more intestine than he normally does "in case" I ever need a revision so he has extra stomach to work with. That kind of annoys me. He said it puts me at a higher risk of ulcers, which I developed. I don't really understand why he doubled the size of my pouch. I still get stuffed off 3oz though.

He is removing my gallbladder on the 22nd. Pre-op I had a lot of gallstones, polyps, and calcification, so he hopes removing it will get rid of the nausea. It's bizarre though because everything makes me sick. I never, ever have high fat food. Even 0 fat stuff makes me sick. I hope it helps.

GI Swallow on the 7th to see if there's a small bowel stricture he couldn't see in the endoscopy, but he doubts it.

In the meantime, I guess I just feel sick for 3 more weeks and hope removing the gallbladder helps? I really don't want more surgery... I hope I can make it 3 weeks. He said if I can't bear it anymore to go to the ER and they will do emergency removal.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Made it twice as big as it should be, what kind of goofus maneuver is that? I fixed you but not too good? That makes about sense as Dr Noria saying on one of my papers Precious Pouch is 5 cm long, is that about 2 inches or so? Now that sounds Small to me.I ain't got much and you have more than efficient? I am going to have to ponder this.

Made it twice as big as it should be, what kind of goofus maneuver is that? I fixed you but not too good? That makes about sense as Dr Noria saying on one of my papers Precious Pouch is 5 cm long, is that about 2 inches or so? Now that sounds Small to me.I ain't got much and you have more than efficient? I am going to have to ponder this.
He said I'll still lose weight because of how much more intestine he bypassed? I'm going to ask him if that means mine won't stretch to "fit" 4oz like others normally do because it already is 4oz. I have a running list of questions for next Monday already. lol.

On the upside, Senor Ulcer is almost completely gone! I truly wish they could have removed the gallbladder during surgery since it was already diseased looking. I hope this is the end of my saga. He said if I am still sick after the gallbladder is removed, they will do a revision to make the pouch smaller and remove some intestine. Not thinking about that at this point. I think I'd rather just stay nauseous than have any revisions done.

Yeah I know where you're coming from, my PCP was saying maybe the next step for me is a J Tube, I don't want a J Tube, that is admitting to the whole world that I am a gastric cripple, and it is not too far a leap that my bypass made me THAT WAY. I swore I would never be ungrateful, bad- mouth my facility, my surgeon, but this should not be the way the story ends. Yours holds 4 oz , I doubt mine holds for than 2, maybe 3 oz tops. Usually PP will accept in teaspoons not oz, and she should be old enough to willingly allow more.

He told me not to eat greasy or fatty food. The fattiest food I eat is my lowfat light n fit yogurt. lol. The Atkins shakes were 7g, but I quit those. Everything I eat is super low fat and low carb. And greasy? I would die if I ate anything greasy! I think the only things that haven't bothered me are actually 0 fat things. I hope the gallbladder is it because I can't eat ZERO fat items forever. The next 3 weeks are going to take forever. I hope I don't need recovery very long because I burned all my leave on my bypass.

I am preop so I can only tell you just from the gallbladder issue. I had terrible pain under my right shoulder blade and nausea. I had several episodes and considering going to the ER it was that bad. I had an ultrasound done- GB was "fine". Then I had the HIDA test done and the gallbladder was not functioning well so I had surgery. I still have almost phantom pain but continue to take reflux meds and its more annoying than painful. It is now just reflux issues. Prior to the gallbladder surgery I would have to stop driving and pull over and try to concentrate on deep breathing as if I was in labor. It was horrible. So that being said the gallbladder can cause a lot of pain, aches, and nausea. fingers crossed you feel much better when it's out.

He's talking about a revision without first finding out why you are so nauseous. That seems really strange

I can tell you I had my gallbladder removed like 20 years ago. But I totally got attacks no matter what I ate. Fatty or not. They didn't understand it. Even salads with no dressing did it. It was miserable and I hope them taking yours gets you the relief you need. [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

He's talking about a revision without first finding out why you are so nauseous. That seems really strange
he basically said if I have no stenosis, no ulcers, no hernias, and the gallbladder issue doesnt solve it, the final thing to try is a revision but he doesnt want to do that because the bypass areas look so healthy.

honestly I am really really terrified of having my gallbladder removed. it was my only fear about having wls. that I would eventually need it out. the bypass surgery didn't make me nervous at all. but thinking about having my gallbladder done is making me so panicky. my mom had open surgery back in the day and said it was excruciating. I know it's laparoscopic now. he said he would check for adhesions while he is in there. I am scared of it being converted to open. and I am nervous about what my employer is going to say about me taking MORE time. the whole thing just sucks, especially because it's all speculative. i DO have severe nausea but no pain. I DO have polyps and tons of gallstones... so I guess that can cause this. I am just annoyed and nervous for another surgery.

A piece of my gall bladder story. When I was carrying Tomkitten, 30 some years ago I told my ob-gyn I thought my gall bladder was acting up, and I got poo-pooed, ever notice Doctors just ❤giving me the poo-poo treatment? The claim then was it was just my baby kicking, nauseous- oh that's because there is no room left in your tummy. After he was born I still had symptoms now and then, well I was attention-seeking, yadda yadda. When Tomkitten was just a year maybe 18 months my mama had symptoms enough that they removed her gall bladder. And I said to her I wonder if I am having symptoms also. She rose up on her haunches and accussed me of horning,in on her parade, I was envious. No I tried to tell her I hardly can eat fried foods, pork, spicy food. At that time we had the same doctor, she thwarted me by telling him that I was jealous and to pay me no never mind. Well I changed doctors, New doctor did pay attention, said the traditional rhyme was Fair-skinned, Fat , Fertile and Forty. I did all of them except the age. I was sent for a scan and surprise I also had gall stones. My surgery was set up for Monday morning, this was a Thursday, when I showed up for surgery I was jaundiced, one of my stones was blocking the duct from it and my liver. My mother had 6 stones, I turned out to have 14, bigger and more jagged than hers. In fact if I had waited a little longer it would have ruptured. Now this was 35 or so years ago, usually people don't have to wait as long to have doctors take them serious. And if I continued with Mama's doctor , I probably would not got surgery until things exploded. And I felt a lot better when it was done, think I had been brewing them since Tomkitten was born, I was right it wasn't just pregnancy before, I had been a little sick with them for a long time, cause I was so much better after.

And I was open , carry the scar in a less common place because he took my appendix while I was out, not as quick healing but it was still quite bearable, if you would be,open, which seldom happens these days, not a world ender. Not as bad as you have been suffering now., I PROMISE!

5 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

he basically said if I have no stenosis, no ulcers, no hernias, and the gallbladder issue doesnt solve it, the final thing to try is a revision but he doesnt want to do that because the bypass areas look so healthy.

honestly I am really really terrified of having my gallbladder removed. it was my only fear about having wls. that I would eventually need it out. the bypass surgery didn't make me nervous at all. but thinking about having my gallbladder done is making me so panicky. my mom had open surgery back in the day and said it was excruciating. I know it's laparoscopic now. he said he would check for adhesions while he is in there. I am scared of it being converted to open. and I am nervous about what my employer is going to say about me taking MORE time. the whole thing just sucks, especially because it's all speculative. i DO have severe nausea but no pain. I DO have polyps and tons of gallstones... so I guess that can cause this. I am just annoyed and nervous for another surgery.

Having my gallbladder out was a breeze. I was only in hospital overnight and back to work after about 4 days. Once it was gone I had no more pain or nausea (I too got nausea from EVERYTHING I ate, not just fatty stuff). Good luck with it.

If your surgeon sees any hernias while operating, will he repair them? I’d ask that question at your pre-op.

And if after surgery you still feel awful, perhaps you should get a second or third opinion on next step(s).

Good luck. We’re all pulling for you.