Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone kept their surgery a secret?

It really is a personal decision whether or not to tell anyone about your bariatric surgery. I let my family, co-workers, and close friends know about it before I went in for surgery, and then told everyone else after it was over. Although I was expecting some dissension, I didn't receive one negative reaction to my decision.

I’ve been very open about it. My initial reasoning is that by feeding into the idea that I lost it all through diet, etc. and that anyone could that way. There is already so much judgement on the obese, I didn’t want to add to it in any way.

HOWEVER, I come from a space of privilege. My co-workers are exceptionally accepting and supportive, as is the nature of my work. My family and friends are as well. I don’t face any negative issues by being honest. That’s not always the case. Some people can be down right mean to patients who choose the surgery route. I would never judge anyone else for keeping it quiet. They need to do what is right for them and their situation. You need to do what is right for you and your circumstances. It’s nobody else’s business.

Only my husband, children and best friend know. I'm very private. Because my husband is dieting and we are eating very low carb, when folks ask, I attribute it to a change in diet.
Only my husband n kids know

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

It's definitely a personal choice. I think it's totally appropriate for you to do whatever makes you feel comfortable. You may decide to not say anything for awhile and then one day change your mind - or not!

Everyone in my circle knew because it had been a long decision process for me and I wanted the accountability. Eventually, the transformation was significant and it stuck, so it was something I was proud to share. Now, I've made my journey my life purpose, so I definitely share with everyone I encounter if the opportunity arises and it keeps me even more accountable (I'm a therapist and I coach bariatric surgery patients, too).

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

21 hours ago, Tess0554 said:

I have told coworkers and family but I’m hiding from everyone that I’m getting surgery in Mexico. When I initially told them everyone was against it, then I said I’m getting it in San Diego now everyone ok. I don’t like lying I just want them to support my choice and trust that I did all the research

American bias comes out when mentioning Medical Tourism, but from what I can see the facilities are far more state of the art than the ones in the U.S.

American bias comes out when mentioning Medical Tourism, but from what I can see the facilities are far more state of the art than the ones in the U.S.
Especially the facility in Tijuana that BariatricPal setup. Those doctors chose to go work there because they support the need for affordable surgery and the US won't support it.

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

I've been pretty open about my surgery and told my close friends and family and a few coworkers. I'm grateful that everyone I've told has been incredibly supportive and excited for me. It's a very personal decision and you have to do what is best for you but no decision is wrong.

I kept it secret in the beginning. I’m only 21 days post op, but have lost 38lbs since surgery. I’ve been asked several times was I sick or something. So!! I just let it be known. 38lbs since Dec 10th and nearly 80lbs since taking this route back in June. Was getting too many questions. Definitely to each his/her own. Nobody’s business for real.

I would really love to tell everybody except there is so much ignorance about it. A lot of people still think that it’s taking the easy way out and that you didn’t really earn it. My only concern is that it feels like it’s going to be really obvious and if I say I didn’t have surgery then of course people would know that I’m lying. I’m honestly not sure what I’m gonna do. People don’t generally lose 100 pounds in 7-9 months by just doing weight watchers

52 minutes ago, jasmineinmymind said:

I would really love to tell everybody except there is so much ignorance about it. A lot of people still think that it’s taking the easy way out and that you didn’t really earn it. My only concern is that it feels like it’s going to be really obvious and if I say I didn’t have surgery then of course people would know that I’m lying. I’m honestly not sure what I’m gonna do. People don’t generally lose 100 pounds in 7-9 months by just doing weight watchers

You can tell the truth without discussing your surgery: Portion Control, low carb, seeing a nutritionist, etc.

Husband

1 Sister (of 3)

1 Kid (adults) (of 2 kids)

that is it !!!! 3 ppl total

DO WHAT MAKES YOU COMFORTABLE - it is your body your journey you need to be happy and comfortable

I am a pretty private person, I only told the people I know and trust. I am in a group of 10 people who are in the same phase. One of the women is from the home town of my parents. Boy, do I regret telling her that! Apparantly she gossipped and my mom, who was doing grocery shopping, got asked by a someone random if I were to have the gastric surgery 😕 Why, oh why do people talk about other people.

This is one thing I’ve been struggling with. I want to keep this surgery a secret. I’ve only told my husband and my sister/ best friend. I don’t want to tell anyone else because I’m so private. I’ve felt judged for my weight my whole life and don’t want to be judged now. I’m missing work for 2 weeks so I guess I would have to give them an explanation. I would love to tell my parents who are so concerned about my health... but they gossip and don’t want my business out there. When they see me “healthy” hopefully their concern goes away. Changing my way of eating and Exercise is hopefully enough explanation for people to understand how I lost weight.