Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It will get better. The first month is the absolute worst, and it will only get easier from here. By month 3, you'll be like "okay, I've got this!" Because by then, you'll be able to eat regular foods again, just in much smaller quantities. I still go out to eat with friends and family, but I generally order off of the kids menu or the ala carte menu; that way I'm getting much smaller portions. Life will be more normal again, you just have to give it a bit more time.
Thanks so much happy new yr

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have found it interesting, as well, how much my social and even family life surrounded food. I've been going with family when they eat out and I survive by focusing on the conversation and also I people watch and see how much our culture has come to depend on food for entertainment. Try taking your drinks or whatever diet you are on with you so you can be having what you are supposed to have. Keep your eye on the end result - it will all be worth it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m evil so I happily sip Water and think thoughts like,
“You poor eaters. You just shoved 300 calories into your pie-hole!’
”Bless your heart! Do you realize that slice of carrot cake is actual 17 servings?’
[emoji1]

Love this! I've been doing this, too - it is amazing what an eye-opener not being able to eat is!

It gets much easier. I will say going to a psychologist was the best thing I could have done for me. I am now looking at food as fuel, not entertainment. I am also saving money since I'm not ordering so much. My have a foodie family that loves going out, but we are learning to share items and actually taste our food instead of shoveling it and wondering where it went. Best of luck on your journey.

I have found it interesting, as well, how much my social and even family life surrounded food. I've been going with family when they eat out and I survive by focusing on the conversation and also I people watch and see how much our culture has come to depend on food for entertainment. Try taking your drinks or whatever diet you are on with you so you can be having what you are supposed to have. Keep your eye on the end result - it will all be worth it!

Yes...its very interesting. no wonder our society has so much health issues and obesity...sooooo much revolves around food.

1 hour ago, drop the beat said:

no wonder our society has so much health issues and obesity...sooooo much revolves around food.

This is nothing specific to our society. All societies revolve around food, and have since the beginning of time. Ever head the term "breaking bread" with someone. Showing some hospitality has always been to invite them into your home and share your food.

Ever been to Vietnam? EVERYTHING revolves around food. You can't go 10 ft without running into a street vendor, or a restaurant. But no problem with obesity.

It's definitely not easy, especially around the holidays, but always keep in mind the reason why you went through the surgery to begin with! When I met friends for lunch during the first month or so, I simply explained why I had to eat the way I did - - it was never an issue after that.

This is nothing specific to our society. All societies revolve around food, and have since the beginning of time. Ever head the term "breaking bread" with someone. Showing some hospitality has always been to invite them into your home and share your food.
Ever been to Vietnam? EVERYTHING revolves around food. You can't go 10 ft without running into a street vendor, or a restaurant. But no problem with obesity.
Very true

I can relate .... when I was first sleeved I felt similar. I didn’t realize how much joy I took in eating until I was forced to just have Protein Shakes. I does get better, especially as your diet advances. You will once again find pleasure in food (healthier food and smaller portions ... but variety helps tremendously!)

Of course finding joy and pleasure in things other than food is important to establish as well ... but I just wanted to echo with others that I can relate and it definitely gets better. Hang in there!

I can relate .... when I was first sleeved I felt similar. I didn’t realize how much joy I took in eating until I was forced to just have Protein Shakes. I does get better, especially as your diet advances. You will once again find pleasure in food (healthier food and smaller portions ... but variety helps tremendously!)

Of course finding joy and pleasure in things other than food is important to establish as well ... but I just wanted to echo with others that I can relate and it definitely gets better. Hang in there!
When I was paid and wanted to go out and do something (b4 it was out to eat) I opted for movie theater tickets. It was a very nice "date". Well, except having to pay $5.50 for a 20oz bottle of Water. The tickets were only $3.50. I needed the water so I paid for it and enjoyed my movie.

Sent from Zebby's SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

If you just had knee surgery, would you go out for a run with your friends? You just had surgery and need to be safe during you’re recovery.

I’m 4 months out with the sleeve. I love food. My husband is a gourmet home chef. We entertain a lot. Throwing a great dinner party is one of my great joys in life. Did we do this right after surgery? Not at all.

Now, I can and do eat everything - but in a very portion controlled manner. I focus on Protein first. Then 2 bites of the other things. I eat 1 bite of my husband’s dessert.

Dinner parties are even more enjoyable because I don’t have to regret overeating the next day.

You’ll do great.

If you just had knee surgery, would you go out for a run with your friends? You just had surgery and need to be safe during you’re recovery.

I’m 4 months out with the sleeve. I love food. My husband is a gourmet home chef. We entertain a lot. Throwing a great dinner party is one of my great joys in life. Did we do this right after surgery? Not at all.

Now, I can and do eat everything - but in a very portion controlled manner. I focus on Protein first. Then 2 bites of the other things. I eat 1 bite of my husband’s dessert.

Dinner parties are even more enjoyable because I don’t have to regret overeating the next day.

You’ll do great.
Thanks

On 12/30/2018 at 10:12 AM, Frustr8 said:

Don't blame the holidays for weight gain, you were probably fat in August too!

Honestly, who says such a thing? Sorry for the op just looking for support. You're fine and will find your way. It's early on. Take care!

Prior to WLS I went out to restaurants 2 x 3 times a week. Post surgery, I don't feel comfortable in restaurants. I rarely go out to eat anymore and when I do I order something my dinner companion can take home as I don't eat much. food was a social event for me but now it's just nutrition. I don't miss it at all since I'm saving a ton of money and I'm not eating the bad stuff that contributed to my being morbidly obese. I guess I'm lucky that way.