Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It’s crazy the vast differences in plans.

On 01/06/2019 at 17:18, Joyce McNeill said:

What foods are you pureein

I’m all over the place with it. I’ve done Soups. One of my favs is meatloaf and gravy, over mashed cauliflower. I’ve done chili and tuna and crab salad. I’m ready to chew something!!! Starts tomorrow. Yay.

As I continue on in my post op phases, it’s crazy to me how different the plans are for the phases. Like I’m day 19 post op and doing the blended purée phase that lasts two weeks. I see some folks, same timeline, already on to soft foods. Some things that folks are allowed to eat, I’m told to never eat again. I figured there would be more standardization in this. Boy was I wrong!!
You are more than likely ready to move on to soft foods after 19 days. Try it. If your tummy doesn't like it, go back to puree. Happy adventuring!!

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree, I have seen/heard many different versions of the plan! I am looking very forward to the 9th as that is my follow-up with my MD and when I (hopefully) get to graduate from liquids to pureed food for two weeks and then on to Mechanical Soft for 2 weeks before I can slowly start introducing solids! Just trying to be patient and stay positive!

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, MrClasik said:

As I continue on in my post op phases, it’s crazy to me how different the plans are for the phases. Like I’m day 19 post op and doing the blended purée phase that lasts two weeks. I see some folks, same timeline, already on to soft foods. Some things that folks are allowed to eat, I’m told to never eat again. I figured there would be more standardization in this. Boy was I wrong!!

I said this same thing when I was in preop. I was sleeved 12/19 and I'm in puree stage for 3 week then I move to soft mechancial which means I chop instead of puree. I'm in that for I believe 3 weeks as well then I get to move to my forever diet. I had to go 28 days 14 post op and 14 pre op with out any solids whatsoever and no it had noting to do with my size etc. All of my dr. patients have to do this because its his preference based on past experience. But other doctors in town let people have a lean dinner at night pre op etc. I said when I retire I may take up the mantle of the getting the boards to put some standardization around this process likt they did with the Vitamin requirements. Don't mean doctors will follow it but at least it will be out there.

I moved on to softs today. My wife fixed a scrumptious meatloaf and I made mashed cauliflower. It was heavenly. Just being able to chew something was awesome. I was able to eat 2oz of the meatloaf and and a little under a quarter cup of the cauliflower and was nice and full.

I went to see the dietician yesterday and now feel more irritated, confused, depressed and defeated...

She said:

DON'T weigh food!

DON'T count Protein or calories or carbs!

She said I just have to use the 'bariatric plate'. I find this (attached) completely confusing as I could load up the plate to many different amounts of food and types of food so how was that helpful. She told me not to get so hung up. She personally doesn't have a weight issue (or perhaps she does have a thin issue!), she had no empathy and just sent me on my way making me feel I was making a mountain out of a molehill!

I asked her about the wisdom of using sugar free options as I am very suspicious of them as there has been so much written about the negative effects of splenda, sucralose, aspartame, etc ... when I was on Atkins, I kept right away from anything sugar free. But, she said it was fine.

I've been told by my surgeon that my weight loss is too slow and disappointing, but as I have Atrial Fibrillation, I have to take beta blockers that slow down the metabolism and cause weight gain. I'm trying to be really strict with my counting and she said it sounded like I was making the right choices.

But, she said that she and the surgeon expected me to lose another 16lbs by the end of this month!!

She said my food choices look good so I should stop worrying...

Feeling exasperated and down-hearted.

VSG - Bariatric Plate.pdf

On 01/08/2019 at 06:07, Alpaca55 said:

I went to see the dietician yesterday and now feel more irritated, confused, depressed and defeated...

She said:

DON'T weigh food!

DON'T count Protein or calories or carbs!

She said I just have to use the 'bariatric plate'. I find this (attached) completely confusing as I could load up the plate to many different amounts of food and types of food so how was that helpful. She told me not to get so hung up. She personally doesn't have a weight issue (or perhaps she does have a thin issue!), she had no empathy and just sent me on my way making me feel I was making a mountain out of a molehill!

I asked her about the wisdom of using sugar free options as I am very suspicious of them as there has been so much written about the negative effects of splenda, sucralose, aspartame, etc ... when I was on Atkins, I kept right away from anything sugar free. But, she said it was fine.

I've been told by my surgeon that my weight loss is too slow and disappointing, but as I have Atrial Fibrillation, I have to take beta blockers that slow down the metabolism and cause weight gain. I'm trying to be really strict with my counting and she said it sounded like I was making the right choices.

But, she said that she and the surgeon expected me to lose another 16lbs by the end of this month!!

She said my food choices look good so I should stop worrying...

Feeling exasperated and down-hearted.

VSG - Bariatric Plate.pdf

Wow!! I just left my 4 week follow up and I got the complete opposite of everything your nut said. I was told to measure and weigh everything. Which I’ve been doing faithfully, mostly to better track my foods just goes to show the level of differences in this. It’s amazing. I wish you well in the journey and hopefully, things turn for the better for you.

On 01/01/2019 at 18:52, Joyce McNeill said:

I just had surgery on December 28, 2018. I was told 2 weeks of Protein Shakes, followed by two weeks of pureed food, then two weeks of soft food. After that, I can have regular food. I'm having a difficult time trying to get in enough Protein and Water daily. I can only take baby sips at a time or I feel uncomfortable. Has anyone had this feeling?

This was my plan exactly! And absolutely at the beginning it was nearly impossible to get enough Protein and Water in. Just do your best and make sure you don’t get dehydrated!

On 01/08/2019 at 11:35, MrClasik said:

Wow!! I just left my 4 week follow up and I got the complete opposite of everything your nut said. I was told to measure and weigh everything. Which I’ve been doing faithfully, mostly to better track my foods just goes to show the level of differences in this. It’s amazing. I wish you well in the journey and hopefully, things turn for the better for you.
I’m almost 3 months post surgery and my NUT also said to weigh and track everything. I track Protein, calories (and of course water)!

I think not weighing and measuring everything is because she is trying to get you to develop a more healthy relationship with food. There will be many situations and places where you will be unable to weigh or measure so being able to know by sight what is an appropriate portion is is a more useful skill.

On 01/08/2019 at 15:44, elcee said:

I think not weighing and measuring everything is because she is trying to get you to develop a more healthy relationship with food. There will be many situations and places where you will be unable to weigh or measure so being able to know by sight what is an appropriate portion is is a more useful skill.

That thinking may be correct. But with me weighing and measuring, I get a much better idea of the portion sizes of the foods I eat. I can nearly eyeball the portion sizes now. I get very close each time at this point. The more I measure and weigh, the better I get at it.

I’m going to follow my surgeons guidelines but I’m also taking in a lot of information from other sources and I’m going to let my body tell me what’s working and what isn’t. If it’s time to move onto the next stage and my stomach doesn’t like it I’m going to back off a little and not push it. I know some people move forward to the next stage prematurely and can handle it just fine. The issue I have is if I rush it and then I get really sick, Then I will have to tell my doctor that I screwed up and didn’t follow the plan.

Here is my 7 inch bariatric plate with measurements recommended by my dietitian. I measure and weigh my food.

20190108_171123.jpg