Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Also posted in surgery success

Through trial & error, I have hit a point where maintenance just feels normal. My eating habits are so ingrained that I'd actually have to TRY to regain. NEVER thought I'd say THAT!

My sleeve was 1/23/12 and I was 275. Within 9 months I was at goal, had tt/panni 10/2013. Maintenance was a very thin tight-rope. I was following the plan, high Protein, low fat, almost no carbs. It worked but 1 tiny splurge and I'd be up a pound or so. I hovered around 120-125. Which is great, but it was taking so much vigilance.

About a year ago, I noticed that when I ate my favorite ribs from a local BBQ place, my weight dropped. Calories didn't seem to matter??

After noticing this pattern for a bit, I began experimenting with other fatty foods. Olive oil, butter, real cheese, eggs, Mayonnaise, avocados, burgers (sans bun) When I eat these foods, I get full quickly and have no hunger for HOURS! Fat at Breakfast is important for me as then I naturally eat less throughout the day.

I eat whatever I want, stop at the 1st sign of full, only eat when PHYSICALLY hungry. I splurge once a month or so (really, that's all I desire as I am very satisfied with my eating) When I DO splurge on pizza, bagel, dessert, etc... I THOROUGHLY enjoy the F#*K out of it!

Now, I eat what I want, enjoy what I eat, no cravings, no weighing or measuring, no counting calories & no stress maintenance. My desires to binge eat have been gone for a long time. Surprisingly my cholesterol is NORMAL, I feel great and my weight hovers between 116-117. Now I (FINALLY) can eat to live not live to eat!

I'm very happy that I've found what works for me, I would love to understand WHY?

Edited by TheRealMeIsHere!

10 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

CONGRATS 💜

Thanks! Looks like you are doing a terrific job, as well!

I hope to look at Me as "Formerly Fat" and one Sleek Sensation. Even if it takes the rest of my life, and I hope it doesn't take THAT LONG, I hope to make my goal sooner. Big Mama will turn into Cute for My Age, was originally planning on Cute Chickie-Baby but realize now that might be beyond my grasp. I will rock every drop of weight loss with all I have and trust I shall end up where I should be!

On 12/29/2018 at 7:34 AM, TheRealMeIsHere! said:

Am I a 'recovered' morbidly obese person?

@TheRealMeIsHere!

Congrats on your weight loss of 115 lbs. Great accomplishment.

Your eating plan, whatever works for you, is what counts.

I am a "recovering" morbidly obese person. Analogy - "recovering" alcoholic.

good luck to the alcoholic for not having that first drink.

hope/wishes to all of us for not eating that WHOLE pie, cake, bag of chips etc.☺️

kathy

Thanks @proudgrammy! Was actually almost 160 lbs lost.

Analogy - "recovering" alcoholic.

hope/wishes to all of us for not eating that WHOLE pie, cake, bag of chips etc

That's what is odd to me, WHY don't I feel those old cravings, the same as an alcoholic would? NOT that I'm complaining, lol!!!

18 hours ago, proudgrammy said:

@TheRealMeIsHere!

Congrats on your weight loss of 115 lbs☺️

oooooops bud

hanging my head low😌

congrats on 160 lb loss

kathy

Thanks [mention=113837]proudgrammy[/mention]! Was actually almost 160 lbs lost.

Analogy - "recovering" alcoholic.

hope/wishes to all of us for not eating that WHOLE pie, cake, bag of chips etc

That's what is odd to me, WHY don't I feel those old cravings, the same as an alcoholic would? NOT that I'm complaining, lol!!!
So, I think I might be able to help on this one.

Food addiction - or really, an eating disorder - has actually been shown to be fundamentally different from other addictions in that you *can* recover from it.

Although we call ourselves "food addicts" we aren't really, because food isn't something that we can abstain from 100%, like other addictions. It's a process addiction, meaning the addiction is the behavior instead of the substance.

As we work on the recovery from the disordered eating behavior, we can learn how to become a (hate this word) "normal" eater. BUT...

We can still have a relapse if we get too comfortable! If it helps to think of yourself as being in lifelong recovery (it's how I still choose to think about it at 14 years out), then rock on. Either way is fine!

I'm super proud to read what you wrote about how good it feels for food to not be the main focus in your life! Doesn't it feel awesome??

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

You do know this is exactly the Keto eating plan. High fat, moderate Protein, low carb. The REAL fats help curb hunger and your body has found the right formula if those for you!

7 hours ago, Amanda Dutton LPC said:

So, I think I might be able to help on this one.

food addiction - or really, an eating disorder - has actually been shown to be fundamentally different from other addictions in that you *can* recover from it.

Although we call ourselves "food addicts" we aren't really, because food isn't something that we can abstain from 100%, like other addictions. It's a process addiction, meaning the addiction is the behavior instead of the substance.

As we work on the recovery from the disordered eating behavior, we can learn how to become a (hate this word) "normal" eater. BUT...

We can still have a relapse if we get too comfortable! If it helps to think of yourself as being in lifelong recovery (it's how I still choose to think about it at 14 years out), then rock on. Either way is fine!

I'm super proud to read what you wrote about how good it feels for food to not be the main focus in your life! Doesn't it feel awesome??

RNY 1/5/2005

Great info, thanks!! Can you tell me where you found it?

Great info, thanks!! Can you tell me where you found it?
I'll look up specific info for you. I'm a therapist that has worked with mental health, substance abuse and eating disorders and have additional training from the World Obesity Federation, so it's been something I've learned over a long period of time. I'll be happy to get the info, though!

RNY 1/5/2005

I'll look up specific info for you. I'm a therapist that has worked with mental health, substance abuse and eating disorders and have additional training from the World Obesity Federation, so it's been something I've learned over a long period of time. I'll be happy to get the info, though!

RNY 1/5/2005

Here you go! A meta-analysis (a study of 18 other studies) from 2017 that even uses the word "recovered" throughout! [emoji122][emoji122]

https://jeatdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40337-017-0164-0

RNY 1/5/2005