Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'Ropey' Fat/Hard Fatty Nodules?

Hi all,

I've got a couple questions to pose for you all! Does anyone here have hard, lumpy or 'ropey' fat? It's something I've been meaning to ask around about for a long time, but never had a chance. This is something I suffer from, and it's really only felt like that in maybe the last 3-4 years of my life. (I'm 33 now.) Is this something that just comes with being quite large or is it abnormal?

My second question, I also have little lumps and nodules of fat all over my body that are *very* painful. I have brought them up to a doctor several times that just handwaves them as lipomas (or fatty nodules) but everything I've read claims they shouldn't hurt, whereas pressing on mine can be downright excruciating. Some of them also have gotten bigger over time. I've noticed that I have several as well right where they will be (probably) putting in the ports for my surgery. Has anyone here dealt with this, and if so, were you adversely affected after your surgery in any way?

In other words, did the surgeon cut into the nodules or anything by mistake to make them even more painful? This probably sounds like an odd question, but it's something weighing on my mind heavily.

Yeah. Me 2. I think it may be "somewhat" normal? But there is also a thing called

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjk88fnxMLfAhUMRKwKHWjlBukQFjAKegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Frarediseases.info.nih.gov%2Fdiseases%2F12925%2Ffamilial-multiple-lipomatosis&usg=AOvVaw3DaGcGyAYssz7KYS-Ndj3t

It's a rare disease, has a genetic component and is more prevalent in females.

I think I probably have it. I literally can count hundreds of these on my trunk and legs. :( Gross stuff.

And maybe it is common, cause me too, my PICC. insertion is right near a moderate sized one on my upper arm. Maybe the painful ones are straddling nerves?

It is typical with weight loss to feel marbles or ropey bits under the skin during fat loss. It's a good sign. I have never heard of those fatty bits hurting though.

Is that what those hard lumpy bits are? Mine don't hurt though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

OMG! Wouldn't that be fabulous that they break down and go away instead of being lipomas!???!!

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

OMG! Wouldn't that be fabulous that they break down and go away instead of being lipomas!???!!

I think if you have a few and they are spaced far apart they are probably lipomas, but if your fat feels like tons of marbles, it is likely changes as you lose fat. I have noticed this during weight loss attempts in the past and have noticed it much more strongly now.

The only lipoma I had was a GIGANTIC one on the back of my neck (aka the buffalo hump). I had it surgically removed and it was oddly attached to muscles, which the surgeon wasn't expecting. It was definitely sensitive when I pushed on it.

Oh I love watching lipoma removals on Dr Pimple Popper's Youtube channel. Very satisfying!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

I just hate that my lipomas all hurt so much. I wonder if it has something to do with fibromyalgia though? Mine hurt all over, especially around my waistband area (to the sides of my belly button) and then also right beneath my breasts. I literally can't find a single one that doesn't hurt. :(

I think I will bring it up to the surgeon or nurse that I'll be seeing in about a week and see what they say. I'm terribly worried that they will hurt even worse post-surgery.

You do bring up a good point to think about, because mine hurt too, especially the one on my left arm. And it doesn't help matters much my PICC line insertion is right above it going into my Basilic vein. And yes I have fibromyalgia also.

Look up Dercum's Disease on Wikipedia, symptoms sound familiar.