Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting ready to take a huge step in my weight loss journey and getting healthy. I’ve read several negative Lap band experiences on here. I’d love to hear recent success stories. If you had it to do over, would you do it again? Has anyone had to have one reversed?

You are on a better position than those of us that got banded in the last 10 years as there is so much more info available.

If this info had been available to me when I got my band I wouldn't have done it.The myth we were sold doesn't match the reality.

I didnt realise that you will get sick if you eat too much actually meant take one bite of a wrong albeit healthy food and you will be spending hours trying to chuck whilst in pain and still hungry.

Or that unhealthy stuff would be far easier to est than the healthy stuff.

But you be fair I probably wasn't emotionally ready for something like RNY back then so from that point of view it was a good gateway choice

My surgeon said he doesn't do lap-bands. He does however spend a lot of time repairing the damage caused by them. There's a lot more money to be made nowadays in the removal of lap-bands than the placement.

Is there any reason why you haven't considered the bypass, for example? I can't recommend the sleeve... since I'm totally TEAM BYPASS.

Wishing you best of luck with your band. Many of us long term satisfied banders don’t post ...
it can change your life.!!
If you are set then please don’t listen to the hundreds of naysayers
I’m over 12 years out and happily keeping off the weight with my band!
Many of us are

Missouri. With all due respect. It is a lap band forum. Perhaps team bypass can post on a bypass forum. Everyone is different

I was banded in 2014 and actually loved my band. Even though I didn’t make goal, I counted my experience as a success because I was probably on my way to my very own episode of M600PL and the band prevented it with also an associated weight loss!

I was recently revised to a sleeve because I was diagnosed with esophageal dilation due to my band (scary stuff). That part...not so good. At the time I elected to get the band, I wasn’t at a place where I would consider anything more invasive.

It is definitely a tough and personal decision. There are folks who are wildly successful with many years under their belt and those where the band has to be removed for whatever reason (even if all of the rules are followed), with significant symptoms and comorbidities due to the band.

Have a thorough discussion with your team about the pros and cons for you and do extensive research. If I had to do it again, I would still get the band because I wasn’t ready then. If my first surgery were today, I would have opted for the sleeve instead, but I now have a different mindset (can’t distinguish if my mindset has changed based on my experience with the band or just overall wisdom/lack of fear of the other surgeries).

I wish you well with your decision.

4 hours ago, Julie norton said:

Missouri. With all due respect. It is a lap band forum. Perhaps team bypass can post on a bypass forum. Everyone is different

Yikes. I didn't even pay attention to the title of this forum. Talk about a dunce. (Picture me in a corner wearing my pointy cap.) Respect gratefully noted, Julie, and apology offered. I should keep my opinions to myself, especially when I don't know where I'm giving them! 😃

In my defense, when one sees a topic on the right-sided column on the main splash page, the forum is not immediately obvious. It's easy to start blabbing away without realizing where one is blabbing.

Thanks for being so polite Missouri. It does get confusing at times.
Whatever type of wls anyone chooses... it is yourself that ultimately does the work

I had the band for 11 years. Lost more on the pre-op diet. Ended up having the band removed due to it slipping. Going to get the sleeve February 5th

On 1/2/2019 at 3:06 PM, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

In my defense, when one sees a topic on the right-sided column on the main splash page, the forum is not immediately obvious. It's easy to start blabbing away without realizing where one is blabbing.

Which is how the boys end up straying into the ladies room and vice versa. So easy to do

I had mine done on the 14th of Dec and So far really appreciating this tool (I know it is like coming into week 4)
For me i didn't have (or need) the other options and given a few other medical issues / history this was the best option for me. I have family friends who have had this and they stressed the importance to keep maintaining and listening to your body to not cheat the system!!

I have had a few things where it has been a learning curve (like i drink way too fast and need to slow that down) and eating too fast too - i use my phone to time and i talk more when out between and listen - you learn so many tricks to make it seem more 'normal' because it is like teaching yourself again how to eat and drink

If you have any questions feel free to reach out :) and best of luck for the op!

I was banded 6 years ago, followed all the rules, and lost 90 pounds. Then my band slipped, which required repositioning surgery in 2014 - 1.5 years after getting the band. Had to have the band removed aug 2018 and converted to sleeve