Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anti depressants post op

..I had not even considered medication after surgery. I'm on Lyrica and Cymbalta for fibro and anxiety, as well as several other medications for hypothyroidism, staving off UTIs, general pain, etc. This is yet another thing that was not discussed with me at all by my surgeon or nurses. 😐

My doctor let me swallow pills the day after my surgery. I take bp meds, Dexilant and Vitamins. No issues.

I’m currently on 60mg of cymbalta and 300mg of extended release Wellbutrin. My psychiatrist said I need to stay on these for the time being.
I haven’t asked my surgeon yet about taking these after surgery.
Can anyone tell me there experience with taking anti depressants after surgery?
I have continued taking my antidepressants, anxiety meds, thyroid meds, Vitamins, etc. I was able to continue them in pill form since the day after surgery, without issue. I feel very fortunate that everything has gone so well, in that respect.

weight.png

weight.png

Continues to boggle my mind how varied the instructions/advice is from the different Doctors we all have.
I always joke that doctors are just "practicing" medicine. Lol

weight.png

Mr bariatric surgery people took me from Wellbutrin 150 ER twice daily to 100 regular release three times daily but I am a RnY bypass, that may make a difference?At any rate I have a PCO appointment tomorrow, let's see if he thinks that is holding me or if he wants to add additional. A week ago was my birthday, an not-good day, really needed my psychologist or a psychiatrist, not suicidal, never have been, I lean more toward apathy and no one seemed to have empathy for me. But the New Year seems brighter thus far and may it please stay that way!

I’m currently on 60mg of cymbalta and 300mg of extended release Wellbutrin. My psychiatrist said I need to stay on these for the time being.
With a sleeve, you may not have to adjust meds. As an RNY, I had to have mine changed from XR to regular because of issues with absorption due to not having access to stomach acid and because we lose those first few feet of intestines where things are absorbed.

Since the sleeve became more popular BECAUSE those issues didn't happen (malabsorption), and the anatomy change wasn't causing the lack of access to stomach acid to break down medications, that is what makes me suspect that you won't need to change.

Totally making an educated guess based on my own experience and that of my clients, though. 🤷‍♀️ Definitely still ask your doc.

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

On 12/27/2018 at 12:49 PM, HunterJsMom said:

I take the same dosage of Cymbalta as well. No problems post op - I took it as normal with liquid. Took it the morning of surgery with a sip of Water, and every day thereafter. You can't crush the capsules because they are extended release, but both the nurse and my surgeon said it's absolutely no problem swallowing them whole. If you think it will be a problem, you may consider looking into 2x 30mg pills instead.

I am on a number of antidepressants/ anti anxiety meds and was able to swallow day after being sleeved. Some were not absorbing properly so I switched to ones that aren’t extended release.

Best of luck!

I had an RNY on 12/17 and I have to crush my anxiety med (Escitalopram) and I open my omeprazole capsules into apple sauce. The omeprazole is ER but I was told it was fine as long as I opened the capsule. I took Lisinopril for hbp but since my surgery my BP has been completely normal, so I’m not taking it any longer.
My Vitamins are either chewable or sublingual due to malabsorption.
Best of luck to you!

Sleeved 10/24/17, no trouble taking wellbutrin SR 150 pills 2 days after surgery - SR is sustained release, not extended - 1 in the morning, 1 at 3pm

However, I have taken 100 IR, immediate release before, and it dumps so fast it makes me cry for no reason - so beware of that possibility.

Your doc seems weird about no pills for a year w/o crushing them? Good luck.

I have not had surgery yet, but very soon. I was told by my nutritionist that I will habe an appointment with a person before surgery that will be strictly about medication. She told me I will have to do chewable vitamins for 30 days and crush my pills for 30 days as well. I will have to have one of xr pills switched.

I stayed on my XR dosage after surgery and it was fine. After the first few days you should be able to take them no issue.

I was on 60mg Cymbalta for chronic joint and knee pain prior to surgery and my pain management doctor switched me to 3- 20mg capsules and I am able to swallow them no problem. The 60mg capsule is huge. The 20mg are smaller than the Prilosec I have to now take daily.

PCP wants to add Paxil to my Wellbutrin. Is anybody on both at the same time?

PCP wants to add Paxil to my Wellbutrin. Is anybody on both at the same time?
Not on that combo (I'm on Lamictal and Effexor), but I've heard it can be a good combo for wls patients because Paxil boosts the effectiveness of the Wellbutrin for depression at lower doses.

That's extra good for us because pretty much all the antidepressants have weight gain as a potential side effect, with Wellbutrin being the only one with the potential of loss or staying stable.

Adding a low dose of Paxil to "boost" you makes sense. Just keep an eye on how you feel, keep showing up here in all your awesomeness, and let your doc know ASAP If you feel "off." [emoji4]

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."