Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

❤ JANUARY 2019 CHALLENGE ❤

#27/#28 Overcoming Obstacles/Biggest Struggles (I am SO slacking!)

So, my biggest obstacle is eating. Ironic, right? Up until 1/5, it was very painful for me to eat. It really made me detest food because every time I would eat, it would hurt SO BAD, so it turned me off to the idea and has made me feel like food is the enemy. I am looking for a specialty therapist to help me accept food a bit better so I am able to reach my Protein goals. I have been turned down by A LOT of therapists I've contacted because I am a bariatric patient and supposed to eat less food and they don't know how to deal with that. It's sort of like being a fat anorexic. LOL. Which isn't a thing in the DSM. I continue to lose weight and I am not malnourished; I hope to nip this in the bud before it becomes a larger problem. The prospect of the pain is terrifying, however. I do have an unhealthy relationship with food, both pre and post-op. It's like I went from overeating/binge eating/food addiction to the opposite end of the spectrum. In my mind, if I eat, I will get fat again. And I can't have that. It's a large mental hurdle and a terrible thing. Very unhealthy.

I guess as far as overcoming obstacles, it was dealing with and healing up from the complications. I hydrate so much more now, now that nothing hurts inside. I also felt really awkward eating out at first, but now IDGAF about asking for a box right away or eating a tiny amount. I do need to learn to eat slower around people because I feel bad making them wait, and then I get foamy later. Just a habit I need to get used to. But I am happy I feel much more comfortable eating out now. And I am able to make good choices anywhere.

I've also stopped bitching about the rate of weight loss. LOL. I accept it for what it is and I am happy with how things are going. We'z gon' get thurr.

Edited by mousecat88

1 hour ago, sillykitty said:

Finally, my naked self, I really don't like. It seems these last 10-20 lbs hit me the hardest negatively physically. I lost a cup size + in the last month, my butt is significantly flatter and my thighs are way saggier looking. Seriously makes me want to cry. :(

The cup size... SO RELATABLE. I already had a breast reduction in 2017 and I just dropped a cup size so I am like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. lmao. I don't want them any smaller now! I wish we could pick and choose where it came out of. I sit at work pinching my loose bra fabric over my nips like a total freako.

2 hours ago, sillykitty said:

#27 - My current struggles

What's the character limit on here? :lol:

Primarily, getting my Protein in. I am not a huge Protein lover, so prioritizing protein takes effort. But even when I make the effort, my restriction generally doesn't allow me to get close to 60 g without some form of protein supplementation, like shakes or bars. I have found shakes and bars I can tolerate, but none I really want to eat. It worries me that going forward I'm going have have to force myself to eat borderline gross protein supplements or only get 30 g or so per day otherwise.

Secondarily, finding where I can maintain vs. lose. I think maybe my body wants to be in the low 130's, for right now at least? It's really nice to be able to eat pretty freely and not gain. But I'm also scared if I will be able to do the same 6 months from now, or a year from now.

Finally, my naked self, I really don't like. It seems these last 10-20 lbs hit me the hardest negatively physically. I lost a cup size + in the last month, my butt is significantly flatter and my thighs are way saggier looking. Seriously makes me want to cry. :(

We can cry together when I get there. It happen to me when I went from 180 to 160 😥😥😥😥

17 hours ago, YeahOkay31 said:

#27 current struggle - SO MUCH CAKE! My daughter's birthday party was today, her actual birthday tomorrow, my son's birthday is a week away, more cake, his party 2/16--MORE CAKE!

Here is today's cake / daughter is a little dragon obsessed.

IMG_4132.JPG

SO BEAUTIFUL!!! CONGRATS 💜

18 hours ago, Naughty Glitter Goddess said:

Current Struggle: snacking in the evening

This has always been a terrible habit of mine; one I broke about 4 months before surgery and I was really proud of myself. UGH!

I tried getting myself back on intermittent fasting but I'm just not ready for it yet. Can't get enough calories in to keep my weight loss up while weight training at the gym.

Anyway, none of that is a good excuse for driving by the pantry for a handful of nuts. Then 10 minutes later a piece of cheese. Then 15 minutes later a bite of fruit. You get the picture. I have planned for a healthy protein-heavy early evening snack around 7:30pm. (we eat dinner super early due to hubby's IF and kids who go to bed early) But I want to eat a FUN snack while I watch TV. I'm actually thinking about finding another activity to do in the evenings instead of TV watching because it's a slippery slope with the snacks!

This is the section of the pantry I'm not supposed to be looking in. I need to clean it out!!!😐

20190127_190812.jpg

I say throw a basketball at the pantry 😂😂😂 everything that falls , trash it 😎😎😎

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

I say throw a basketball at the pantry 😂😂😂 everything that falls , trash it 😎😎😎

😅😂😅Does that count as exercise?

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

#28 Overcoming obstacles

My biggest obstacle in my journey has been myself and my negativity. I don't relish my accomplishments or progress--losing 180 isn't something to be proud of, it's cleaning up a self made mess. But I am trying to keep my thoughts positive and started therapy so it is an obstacle I am working on.

Jan. 28th:

Overcoming obstacles.

Well I'm trying lol so that has to count for something! Currently talking myself in and out of Plastics daily.

Whew! I know I *can* live without it but sometimes I wonder if it's just because I'm nervous. And poor...(GOFUNDME) joking joking, Lol just really nervous.

We'll see.

Current Struggle: keeping the cals down to 1000. If I'm honest they're more in the 1250 range which the old me would have been thrilled with, but at only just over three months postop, it's not great. I do so well during the day, but the evening is dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Overcoming Obstacles: I think it's the worry in the back of my mind this really won't work just like all the other diets have failed. I mean it's working so far, I'm over 25 kilos down, but when's the bounce back up gonna happen?

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

6 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

The cup size... SO RELATABLE. I already had a breast reduction in 2017 and I just dropped a cup size so I am like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. lmao. I don't want them any smaller now! I wish we could pick and choose where it came out of. I sit at work pinching my loose bra fabric over my nips like a total freako.

OMG, the visual on this one is hilarious. I also have baggy fabric on the front of my bra cups. I was absently twirling them the other day in front of the mirror trying to figure out how to tuck in the extra fabric. Let's just say husband was concerned, ha!

OK, overcoming obstacles. You saw the bad section of my pantry and I need to stay out of it. If I could get rid of every item of junk food in this house, I would. But, it's just part of my journey that I will have to rely on willpower instead. Don't really discuss it much here but my kids have severe food insecurity from early on in their lives before they came to us. It's important to keep comforting Snacks available where they can see them and access them. They rarely rely on them anymore but trashing them isn't an option unfortunately. But, I can still do this!

So, the hard time for me is evening, after dinner, after the kids are in bed. I usually watch TV or get on my computer to relax and for some reason it just triggers my snacking monster. SOOoo, I'm switching up my routine. I've decided to make the time after the kids go to bed my self-care time. If I want to watch TV, I need to do it earlier in the day. I think it will give me a little mental boost and help me sleep better too. Shower, exfoliation, moisturizing, facial mask, relaxing music, herbal tea. I'm starting right now!

20190128_181935.jpg

Screenshot_20190128-182315_Amazon Music.jpg

28: overcoming obstacles - my hardest obstacle, other than eating enough, is fighting my own brain. I've been running and hiking, but right now my head isn't in it. It's becoming more and more of a struggle. I "think" it's because my energy level is in the toilet, thanks to the IV, I'm bloated as heck, and am fighting that constant battle in my head. It's a battle of knowing I need to, and want to, but that old inner voice that says to put it off and just let the lack of energy take over.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app