Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Muscle issues?

Hi all!

I will preface this by saying that I am pre-surgery (mine is Jan. 15th), but I am trying to start exercising again in preparation for it. In truth, I have been trying off and on for a couple years now, but I struggle to do much of anything. Walking is quite difficult, and I can't stand for very long at all before my hips and lower back are in agony. Aside from that, my muscles all feel very, *very* tight, ALL the time.

I've tried stretching in the past, and it doesn't help. Everything hurts incredibly, so much that in the past, I have just quit trying. I don't know if it's from not doing much exercise, but I am worried that the muscles have 'shrunk' or something like that, and that I will never be able to loosen them again. Even flexing my leg, I can feel the muscles in my calves and ankle feel like they want to 'tear.'

Also, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia some time ago as well, so I don't know if it's related to that? I really want to be active and go out to do things, but everything just hurts so bad, and so I spend a lot of time sitting/laying down. I know when the surgery comes around, I need to move a whole lot more, but I'm afraid it's going to hurt too much. I don't want to end up with a blood clot though because I didn't move a whole lot, so I guess what I'm asking is.. Any tips? Has anyone else experienced this muscle issue? Is it just normal for people my size that don't exercise a lot or is there maybe something else going on?

Thanks for any answers! :)

Edited by LustyDraconianMaid
Spelling errors!

Sounds like you could benefit from a session or two with a physio therapist and then an exercise physiologist.

Shea is right. With your issues you should really work with a pro. You certainly don't want to do any damage and make it even harder to exercise.

However, to get started you can google "chair exercises" on youtube. You'd be amazed at how fast you can break a sweat sitting down and these are much easier on your joints until you get some of the weight off. As always, get the ok from your doc first.

Wishing you well!

I agree with the other @2shea and @Orchids&Dragons

It could be something very specific to you, best to see a physical therapist, exercise physiologist, etc. to know for certain.

I had to see a physical therapist for muscle and Facsia issues (unrelated to surgery, don't panic) on top of routinely stopping and continuing muscle training. Itsy possible to restore (even if slowlng) whatever has been lost. Takes time and patience.

Safe Journey 🎈

Edited by GreenTealael

Hmm, I saw.. I think they were a physical therapist (I'm not certain since I live in a foreign country, and many of the doctoral terms are still not quite known to me or even my husband!) Basically they had me do some different stretches and the like, and that was pretty much it. They also said my muscles were tight around my back, and did some kind of very short (less than 1 minute) massage to try and loosen said muscles. They never felt of my legs or anything like that. (This was a long while ago when I went before with muscle pains which may or may not have been attributed to fibromyalgia.)

I did try the stretches they offered, but it just didn't help that much, and in some cases just made them ache even more, strangely, even though I've been told it should help. I could try speaking with the doctor again and asking to be sent to an exercise physiologist. I just need to figure out how to translate that and explain it to them (and hope they are willing to do such.)

10 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Shea is right. With your issues you should really work with a pro. You certainly don't want to do any damage and make it even harder to exercise.

However, to get started you can google "chair exercises" on youtube. You'd be amazed at how fast you can break a sweat sitting down and these are much easier on your joints until you get some of the weight off. As always, get the ok from your doc first.

Wishing you well!

I tried chair exercises a long time ago (some years back) and kinda forgot all about them! I could definitely start doing that again, as that might work well alongside shorter walks maybe? Most of the pain I have with walking and exercise is related to my lower back and hips, so I think that could definitely be helpful. Thank you! :)

Do you have access to a pool? Water walking should be almost painless due to the buoyancy of the human body. When I was at my heaviest (300 pounds) water was my friend.

FWIW - I'm 2 years out. I can deadlift and squat 235 and weigh about 150 right now. I fence competitively and am nationally ranked - all of which happened post surg You can do this.

Bravo for getting a head start.

3 hours ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

Do you have access to a pool? Water walking should be almost painless due to the buoyancy of the human body. When I was at my heaviest (300 pounds) Water was my friend.

FWIW - I'm 2 years out. I can deadlift and squat 235 and weigh about 150 right now. I fence competitively and am nationally ranked - all of which happened post surg You can do this.

Bravo for getting a head start.

There is a local pool here, but it's a bit on the expensive side, sadly. (It's around 4.50 per trip in euros or 80/mo. for 10 trips!) We do go sometimes, but not a lot admittedly. I absolutely love swimming, but I'd have to see if maybe there is some cheaper option (or maybe even another pool somewhere with a better price.)

As for fencing, that sounds awesome! My hubby is actually heavily into HEMA, so I aim to get involved with that once I'm able to stand for more than five minutes. XD Right now I can do some practice poses with the sparring swords we purchased, but I can't do more than maybe five minutes before tiring out.

Great job looking into getting the ball rolling!

Being obese can cause orthopedic issues as it affects posture, joints, etc...

Due to many years of obesity, I have severe ankylosing spondylosis in my entire spine and bilateral posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (PTTD). These conditions cause varying levels of pain, my cervical spine being the worst & constant pain. The PTTD requires me to wear braces to prevent pain & allow me to do things I couldn't do without braces.

As I lost weight, increased my exercise & worked with a physical therapist, I was able to use less supportive braces.

I began with custom AFO's (knee height), then SMO's (just over the ankle bone), until now, just UCBL's (a custom orthotic that comes up a smidge higher on my foot than a regular orthotic.

I mention this because, you don't want to do any damage. Please see an orthopedic doctor for a full evaluation.