Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

International Travel - 5 months post op

Hello everyone! Tomorrow evening my husband and I are heading off on a very long awaited trip to Ireland! We’ll be there for a week, staying in Dublin the whole time with a couple day trips elsewhere. We CAN’T WAIT!

I’ve been doing some planning and have some Protein Bars to pack, and a pill organizer for all the supplements, but I’m curious what suggestions or experiences (positive and negative) you had when traveling post-WLS.

Any advice would be most appreciated!!
Thanks!

Have to follow this as I am doing LA, UK, Hong Kong 3 months after my op

Shop local markets instead of always eating out. Apparently its not that difficult or different.

Ask @ummyasmin about markets in Ireland because this is her neck of the woods!

Edited by GreenTealael

you can take Protein Water and ready made shakes!!!

You can get them through security at the airport because they are medically necessary. I just went to DC and was able to take mine with me. I did an ASK TSA on FB as recommended and they said absolutely. The only thing is with the ready made shakes, you will have to pop them open so they can vapor screen them, and leave them in a seperate bin ( if you choose not to check them).. you can take them on the plane with you..

On 12/22/2018 at 16:26, GreenTealael said:

Shop local markets instead of always eating out. Apparently its not that difficult or different.

Ask @ummyasmin about markets in Ireland because this is her neck of the woods!

This is part of why we’re staying at an Airbnb - that way we can cook many of our meals!!

On 12/22/2018 at 16:33, Jazzy1125 said:

you can take Protein Water and ready made shakes!!!

You can get them through security at the airport because they are medically necessary. I just went to DC and was able to take mine with me. I did an ASK TSA on FB as recommended and they said absolutely. The only thing is with the ready made shakes, you will have to pop them open so they can vapor screen them, and leave them in a seperate bin ( if you choose not to check them).. you can take them on the plane with you..

Wow! That is GREAT to know!!

I traveled to Europe from the US, 3 months after gastric bypass, and was away for 3 weeks. I had no issues and ate out the majority of the trip. I lost weight, felt great, and had an awesome trip! The only things I brought with me were some Protein Bars and UNJURY Protein Single-Serve Packs, and a refillable water bottle.

Bon voyage!

Edited by MarinaGirl

Sounds like a great trip!! Plenty of walking and easy enough to get plenty of Water in every day. My biggest concern (for myself) would be Jameson available at every turn but hopefully you don't like it. Have fun!!!

On 12/23/2018 at 11:00, MIZ60 said:

Sounds like a great trip!! Plenty of walking and easy enough to get plenty of Water in every day. My biggest concern (for myself) would be Jameson available at every turn but hopefully you don't like it. Have fun!!!

I’m not a Jameson person! I am planning on having a pint or two in a local pub - even had it cleared by my NUT/clinic team and everything!

1 hour ago, MIZ60 said:

Me, Fish and chips everywhere lol

2 hours ago, MarinaGirl said:

I traveled to Europe from the US, 3 months after gastric bypass, and was away for 3 weeks. I had no issues and ate out the majority of the trip. I lost weight, felt great, and had an awesome trip! The only things I brought with me were some Protein Bars and UNJURY Protein Single-Serve Packs, and a refillable Water bottle.

Bon voyage!

Exactly, I only brought a few Vitamins 😂

Europe has great food choices

Hello everyone! Tomorrow evening my husband and I are heading off on a very long awaited trip to Ireland! We’ll be there for a week, staying in Dublin the whole time with a couple day trips elsewhere. We CAN’T WAIT!

I’ve been doing some planning and have some Protein Bars to pack, and a pill organizer for all the supplements, but I’m curious what suggestions or experiences (positive and negative) you had when traveling post-WLS.

Any advice would be most appreciated!!
Thanks!
Céad míle fáilte! [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Our Protein bars are Fulfil and Carb Killa. You can get them at pretty much any supermarket like Tesco or Supervalu. You can also buy Protein Powder and RTD shakes from Holland & Barrets (they're all over the place).

The produce, meat, cheese here is pretty good quality. Beef that is grass-fed is normal here. You'd struggle to get non-grass-fed beef.

You don't need to tip in restaurants here unless you get outstanding service.

Most coffee places will have Skim milk or soy available (some, like Costa also do coconut and almond milk).

I'm trying to think what else might be helpful to tell you. I'm not in Dublin so I can't recommend any specific markets but is there anything else I can tell you?

We have Aldi and Lidl which are discount supermarkets but you'll get a wider range of products at Tesco.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Tons of fresh seafood, and smoked salmon as well. Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon is a standard Breakfast offering, and pretty perfect for us, BPs.