Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shirataki Noodles

19 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Alex what do you mean about heme Iron interaction with Calcium? I do keep Calcium separate from iron by 2-4 hours.

TY!

Calcium blocks absorption of Heme Iron. From what I've researched, it doesn't block non-heme iron and can be taken together.

Just now, Alex Brecher said:

Calcium blocks absorption of Heme Iron. From what I've researched, it doesn't block non-heme iron and can be taken together.

Ok, thanks! I was just told by my RD to separate it. She was only talking ferrous fumarate. So maybe she is just "hedging the bet?"

Thanks for this explanation! It makes so much sense. I hope to see my Iron saturation levels coming up by using it!
I'm so glad you've found the answer to your iron problems and anemia! I know infusions are tough on you!!! So glad your ferritin has been normal!
This is the one I take. It's the heme iron combined with the other plant one. Is this what you take?
image.png.eb3451f8754cb7020b7225f90200646c.png
That's the one! As a side note, it also doesn't seem to cause the Constipation issues that regular iron does.

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

Just now, Amanda Dutton LPC said:

That's the one! As a side note, it also doesn't seem to cause the Constipation issues that regular Iron does.

RNY 1/5/2005

Gosh I wish! ;) My gut is so whacked. LOL. They just started Linzess on me yesterday. Gah!

I take one of the Bariatric Fusion Multis (it doesn't have iron in it) twice a day and just take my iron separately, about 2 hours later. I agree about the calcium absorption, Alex. The BF multis have a good amount of calcium, so I haven't had to take a separate one.

RNY 1/5/2005

Gosh I wish! [emoji6] My gut is so whacked. LOL. They just started Linzess on me yesterday. Gah!
Oh that stinks (well, maybe it will - I guess in this case that would be a good thing [emoji38] )!

RNY 1/5/2005

Just now, Amanda Dutton LPC said:

I take one of the Bariatric Fusion Multis (it doesn't have Iron in it) twice a day and just take my iron separately, about 2 hours later. I agree about the Calcium absorption, Alex. The BF multis have a good amount of calcium, so I haven't had to take a separate one.

RNY 1/5/2005

I take the Celebrate capsules without iron or calcium, then take calcium separate. At bedtime, I take the iron and 1 extra Vitamin C.

10 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Ok, thanks! I was just told by my RD to separate it. She was only talking ferrous fumarate. So maybe she is just "hedging the bet?"

This is what everyone is taught. It's a controversial topic. I found this online

"The absorption of Calcium and Iron is a controversial topic in the realm of bariatrics. Research has shown that

• Calcium does not interfere with non-heme iron found in supplements.
  • Calcium does interfere with heme iron found in meat.

For instance, you should not take a calcium supplement before or after eating a steak. NON-heme iron is the iron found in Vitamin supplements. The medical professionals behind Bari Life feel that other vitamin / pharmaceutical companies require patients to take calcium and iron separately because it increases sales.

There are virtually no studies performed with patients who have altered digestive systems by means of weight loss surgery (WLS). However, the New Life Center for Bariatric Surgery has a study that is pending publication for bariatric medical journals that proves NON-heme iron absorbs just as well when taken with calcium, as opposed to the iron being taken by itself.

The study comprised of over 300 gastric bypass patients. Each patient was evaluated before their bariatric surgical procedure, then again at 6 months and 12 months after the procedure. The patients were evaluated for deficiencies in iron, Vitamin D, B-1, B-12, and Vitamin A. The vitamin deficiency rate of patients taking Bari Life Multivitamins was compared to the deficiency rate of patients taking other leading bariatric vitamin brands (non-compliant patients)"

So which multi do you think works best? (I'm looking for capsule or whatever works for RNY--no chewables though...can't handle 'em and don't want the added carbs etc.)

11 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

So which multi do you think works best? (I'm looking for capsule or whatever works for RNY--no chewables though...can't handle 'em and don't want the added carbs etc.)

I'm biased! We're releasing an Iron Free version of https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/bariatricpal-multivitamin-one-1-per-day-bariatric-multivitamin-capsule-with-45mg-iron in 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, Alex Brecher said:

TY! And congrats! I will watch for it when it comes out!! Love the idea of only taking 1 rather than 3. And I'm not so sure the Celebrate have done a fantastic job of staving off deficiencies in me. Am low in several areas. So am in the market to make a change!

On 12/31/2018 at 09:52, FluffyChix said:

Ok guys!! I was about to post my own thread on these noodles I got in the BP store: Zeroodles with Oat Fiber (Spaghetti and Angel hair shapes).

I've loved and used Shirataki noodles for years as part of our low carb life. My fave shapes are angel hair, linguini, spaghetti, and "rice" which are more like the shape of Israeli Cous Cous. But other brands are packed in a Calcium hydroxide bath or something like that -- which smells fishy. So you pour that off, rinse like hell, then tump em into a dry non-stick pan on high heat to jump around and sizzle until all moisture is cooked off. Then you add your favorite sauce to them. Yummy!!! Or put em into Soup or a casserole. So good. But still, you had to deal with the initial smell, and they had more of a seaweed crunch.

But the Zeroodles with Oat Fiber are amazing!!! You get 2x or more as much quantity of noodles as you do from other brands. They are almost dry-packed, so no smell! And so easy to make. We still rinse and dry fry until very dry, but that takes literally 5 minutes. Then we use with sauce or in soup! Score!!!! So dang good. I'm ordering more this week!

The texture on these is so much better. The oat fiber adds a softer, almost zero crunch chew! It's also very good for you. They are both soluble fiber and help you gut microbiome and health! Soluble fiber also helps improve your cholesterol ratios in favor of the good cholesterol! So it's really healthy.

I would just caution, that you need to be healed from surgery first and be able to get your Protein in--cuz they are filling. Your bowels also need to be moving well. And you need to remember to eat slowly, small bites, and to chew very well!

I have no problemos digesting them and I've had an RNY.

I'm in love! I'm in love! And I don't care who knows!!!! :D

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/zeroodle-organic-premium-shirataki-protein-pasta-spaghetti-with-oat-fiber

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/zeroodle-organic-premium-shirataki-protein-pasta-angel-hair-with-oat-fiber

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/zeroodle-organic-premium-shirataki-protein-pasta-rice-with-oat-fiber

Can you buy these in a grocery store?

Great update. I got some and tried to make Pho. I rinsed like crazy but didn't think to cook em up, just dropped them in the Soup. Was not wild about the texture. Where did you find the Zeroodles???

3 hours ago, Myhorseisfattoo said:

Great update. I got some and tried to make Pho. I rinsed like crazy but didn't think to cook em up, just dropped them in the Soup. Was not wild about the texture. Where did you find the Zeroodles???

Please see https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/zeroodle