Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shirataki Noodles

Been cruising the interwebs looking for future recipes. Came across these noodles that are essentially carb free. Anyone tried them? They look like an answer to prayer to me!!!

I've had them. Make sure you rinse them really really well before you cook with them. They have an "off" smell, like paint. The texture kinda reminds me of pad thai noodles. If you can get past the smell they're okay. Some people love them!

Ok guys!! I was about to post my own thread on these noodles I got in the BP store: Zeroodles with Oat Fiber (Spaghetti and Angel hair shapes).

I've loved and used Shirataki noodles for years as part of our low carb life. My fave shapes are angel hair, linguini, spaghetti, and "rice" which are more like the shape of Israeli Cous Cous. But other brands are packed in a Calcium hydroxide bath or something like that -- which smells fishy. So you pour that off, rinse like hell, then tump em into a dry non-stick pan on high heat to jump around and sizzle until all moisture is cooked off. Then you add your favorite sauce to them. Yummy!!! Or put em into Soup or a casserole. So good. But still, you had to deal with the initial smell, and they had more of a seaweed crunch.

But the Zeroodles with Oat Fiber are amazing!!! You get 2x or more as much quantity of noodles as you do from other brands. They are almost dry-packed, so no smell! And so easy to make. We still rinse and dry fry until very dry, but that takes literally 5 minutes. Then we use with sauce or in soup! Score!!!! So dang good. I'm ordering more this week!

The texture on these is so much better. The oat fiber adds a softer, almost zero crunch chew! It's also very good for you. They are both soluble fiber and help you gut microbiome and health! Soluble fiber also helps improve your cholesterol ratios in favor of the good cholesterol! So it's really healthy.

I would just caution, that you need to be healed from surgery first and be able to get your Protein in--cuz they are filling. Your bowels also need to be moving well. And you need to remember to eat slowly, small bites, and to chew very well!

I have no problemos digesting them and I've had an RNY.

I'm in love! I'm in love! And I don't care who knows!!!! :D

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/zeroodle-organic-premium-shirataki-protein-pasta-spaghetti-with-oat-fiber

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/zeroodle-organic-premium-shirataki-protein-pasta-angel-hair-with-oat-fiber

https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/zeroodle-organic-premium-shirataki-protein-pasta-rice-with-oat-fiber

Oh, now I'm super excited!!!!!!! Off to look them up!

I’ve geard about them years ago and never came to actually buying them. Instead I used to buy lentil Pasta. What is your thoughts on that?

1 minute ago, RuthD said:

I’ve geard about them years ago and never came to actually buying them. Instead I used to buy lentil Pasta. What is your thoughts on that?

Sure why not. If you don't have a prob with carbs like I do. :)

I love the Zeroodles that @Alex Brecher carries in the Bariatric Pal Store. So damn good! Seriously. This one is the bomb.com! Love both the angel hair and spaghetti!

We literally just launched our own brand, NutriNoodle! Check it out at https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/nutrinoodle .

Just now, Alex Brecher said:

We literally just launched our own brand, NutriNoodle! Check it out at https://store.bariatricpal.com/collections/nutrinoodle .

Can't wait to try them! Thanks!

Hey Alex, would you consider also starting to carry Feosol Bifera Iron 28mg? :)

8 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Can't wait to try them! Thanks!

Hey Alex, would you consider also starting to carry Feosol Bifera Iron 28mg? :)

I just reached out to Mylan to see if they'd sell to us directly or if it's available through a national distributor, thanks! Why do you like it?

6 minutes ago, Alex Brecher said:

I just reached out to Mylan to see if they'd sell to us directly or if it's available through a national distributor, thanks! Why do you like it?

Hi Alex! Great question! I'm gonna attach the pic below from the Feosol website. So I'm having issues with low Iron saturation and thought maybe I wasn't absorbing my iron supplement. Also my old one was chewable (and tasty! TY Celebrate Citrus chewable iron!) but it was ferrous fumarate which may not be well-absorbed.

I've read the heme iron is the preferable iron source for bariatric patients cuz it's better absorbed than plant based iron sources? I think heme is animal based if I remember correctly. This one is supposed to be gentle on your system and not cause the nausea and Constipation that other iron can cause.

So I started using it. It is too soon to tell if it's helping with my iron status, but will hope to know more next month!

See what you think, ok? I know a lot of bypass patients use this kind cuz of the heme iron! Thanks for all you do Alex! (Sorry about showing the ordering button. :( Not trying to pull people off the store!)

image.thumb.png.73fd30f6b2a8a2f411fbb0337c6805f0.png

I also take Feosol Complete, and it was recommended to me by my Hematologist. I ended up with a serious Iron deficiency several years ago, despite taking iron (my ferratin was a 6 - anything under 10 is considered "critical") and had to have an infusion the day after I met the Hematologist.

She recommended the Feosol Complete because a poly/heme iron absorbs further down the digestive tract and iron salts (the usual iron supplements everyone takes) are absorbed in the duodenum, which RNY and DS patients no longer have access to.

I had one other infusion as my body tried to regulate itself, but haven't had a low ferratin level in over 5 years since taking Feosol Complete.

And it DOES have to be the "Complete" version. The regular Feosol is not a poly/heme.

Hope that helps!

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

Thanks for the explanation and info. It was super helpful. I was just researching heme and non-heme Iron and their interaction with Calcium. I was wondering why any company would use Heme Iron. Now I understand!

7 minutes ago, Alex Brecher said:

Thanks for the explanation and info. It was super helpful. I was just researching heme and non-heme Iron and their interaction with Calcium. I was wondering why any company would use Heme Iron. Now I understand!

Alex what do you mean about heme iron interaction with Calcium? I do keep calcium separate from iron by 2-4 hours.

TY!

1 hour ago, Amanda Dutton LPC said:

I also take Feosol Complete, and it was recommended to me by my Hematologist. I ended up with a serious Iron deficiency several years ago, despite taking Iron (my ferratin was a 6 - anything under 10 is considered "critical") and had to have an infusion the day after I met the Hematologist.

She recommended the Feosol Complete because a poly/heme iron absorbs further down the digestive tract and iron salts (the usual iron supplements everyone takes) are absorbed in the duodenum, which RNY and DS patients no longer have access to.

I had one other infusion as my body tried to regulate itself, but haven't had a low ferratin level in over 5 years since taking Feosol Complete.

And it DOES have to be the "Complete" version. The regular Feosol is not a poly/heme.

Hope that helps!

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

Thanks for this explanation! It makes so much sense. I hope to see my iron saturation levels coming up by using it!

I'm so glad you've found the answer to your iron problems and anemia! I know infusions are tough on you!!! So glad your ferritin has been normal!

This is the one I take. It's the heme iron combined with the other plant one. Is this what you take?

image.png.eb3451f8754cb7020b7225f90200646c.png

I love those zeroodles too. Even my diabetic sister lived with an Turkey Italian sausages marinara. Very filling :)