Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March 2019 sleepers

I had my surgery yesterday! I was really nervous but the team and the nursing staff have been great. Like a lot of people have said the gas pain is pretty unpleasant; walking really helps but I think the pain medication helps even more. I’m up and about but napping a lot. Looking forward to the end of these sharp gas pains in my shoulder and chest but feeling well supported in the interim. Hope everyone is going well leading up to, and post, surgery.

Just now, Cashaggy said:

I had my surgery yesterday! I was really nervous but the team and the nursing staff have been great. Like a lot of people have said the gas pain is pretty unpleasant; walking really helps but I think the pain medication helps even more. I’m up and about but napping a lot. Looking forward to the end of these sharp gas pains in my shoulder and chest but feeling well supported in the interim. Hope everyone is going well leading up to, and post, surgery.

Awesome! Glad it's going well. That gas pain is horrendous at first but does definitely get better!

I am 5 days post op and doing pretty well, mostly just sore and my tummy grumbles and gurgles a LOT. I am only on Clear Liquids until Monday but so far I haven't really felt hungry or thirsty. I can't tell if I am getting full or not but I'm slowly sipping all day. I get random pains after I drink sometimes but I think maybe I drink too fast or too much at once.

Definitely a learning process!!

2 minutes ago, SLsleeved said:

Awesome! Glad it's going well. That gas pain is horrendous at first but does definitely get better!

I am 5 days post op and doing pretty well, mostly just sore and my tummy grumbles and gurgles a LOT. I am only on Clear Liquids until Monday but so far I haven't really felt hungry or thirsty. I can't tell if I am getting full or not but I'm slowly sipping all day. I get random pains after I drink sometimes but I think maybe I drink too fast or too much at once.

Definitely a learning process!!

Thank you! That’s really great to hear that you’re feeling good 5 days out from surgery. I tried to do a search of the forums to get an idea of when the gas pain might ease. I know everyone is different and heals at different rates so I figured there would be a range, but couldn’t really find what I was looking for. It’s nice to know how you’re doing and only getting those random pains. It sounds like you’re doing really well! Congratulations 😊 and thanks again for the update.

8 minutes ago, Cashaggy said:

Thank you! That’s really great to hear that you’re feeling good 5 days out from surgery. I tried to do a search of the forums to get an idea of when the gas pain might ease. I know everyone is different and heals at different rates so I figured there would be a range, but couldn’t really find what I was looking for. It’s nice to know how you’re doing and only getting those random pains. It sounds like you’re doing really well! Congratulations 😊 and thanks again for the update.

Thank you! 🙂 The most I have seen is to give the gas pains a few days and it usually starts to pass. When I felt no gas pain (still swollen and kind of "full") I was SO excited. Haha

I am staying an extra night in the hospital. I haven’t been able to get many liquids down and I have a large hematoma on my right side, still in a considerable amount of pain.

They put a binder on me to try to help some of the swelling. I’m starting to walk more which is helping the gas pains greatly and like they told me, it’s great to burp but farting feels better lol it’s true!

I’ve had a few sips of broth, I prefer the warm over the cold but none of it tastes good. I’m not hungry at all. It does bother me when they bring food in and my stomach growls. It’s apparently hungry but I am not ready yet.

The worst part about the whole process was the day nurse. I have felt very alone and I had to beg for pain medicine (which was only Tylenol with codeine) even though I was over due it still took him an hour to come with it and by then I was a crying mess. I would prefer to stay ahead of the pain so I can focus on drinking and walking and not on the pain. I know they are busy, I can hear all the racket out there but the pain has been pretty bad. :(

7 minutes ago, Nickycole86 said:

I am staying an extra night in the hospital. I haven’t been able to get many liquids down and I have a large hematoma on my right side, still in a considerable amount of pain.

They put a binder on me to try to help some of the swelling. I’m starting to walk more which is helping the gas pains greatly and like they told me, it’s great to burp but farting feels better lol it’s true!

I’ve had a few sips of broth, I prefer the warm over the cold but none of it tastes good. I’m not hungry at all. It does bother me when they bring food in and my stomach growls. It’s apparently hungry but I am not ready yet.

The worst part about the whole process was the day nurse. I have felt very alone and I had to beg for pain medicine (which was only Tylenol with codeine) even though I was over due it still took him an hour to come with it and by then I was a crying mess. I would prefer to stay ahead of the pain so I can focus on drinking and walking and not on the pain. I know they are busy, I can hear all the racket out there but the pain has been pretty bad. :(

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a rough go! Hopefully in the coming days you'll start to feel better and better. It is definitely a process! Healing hugs to you!!

14 minutes ago, Nickycole86 said:

Best they an eye on you , hoping you’ll turn a corner soon.

They’re all so rushed and work hard but they have a duty of care to keep you pain free so keep on to them about the pain meds x

So sorry to hear the hospital staff is not caring for you properly. I was blessed at St Mary's hospital in Richmond VA! I was kept an extra day, even though I felt ready to go. But they made it pleasant. I see my doctor on Monday to start pureed food. I miss chewing, but staying full on liquids, having bowel movements and little indigestion. Finally weighed myself, lost 8lbs. Progress!

I am feeling discouraged and I feel stupid for feeling this way. I am 9 days PO and I haven't lost any weight. I am the same weight as the day of surgery. I know I am being stupid and shouldn't be discouraged. I am still on the liquid diet. I am having a problem getting 64 ounces of Water but I am drinking and I am not dehydrated. My 1st PO appt is Thursday and I am concerned my doctor is going to say that I should have at least lost something. I know I just had surgery and my body has been through a lot. I know all of this in my head but I still feel discouraged. Anyone else feeling this way?

Just had my surgery on Thursday. The gas pain in my shoulder is unreal right now. But I’m feeling more human everyday. The biggest thing that I wasn’t anticipating is how exhausted I am. I’ve been sleeping a lot but looking forward to feeling better in the days to come.