Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back on track

I had my surgery about 9 months ago and I have been stalled for the last 2 months. I know that I have been overeating and eating all the wrong things. I know I am stretching my new stomach out and I'm so angry and disappointed in myself. Has anyone else struggled and what did you do to get back on track.

The holidays are so hard for me emotionally for a few reasons. I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict and after getting clean and sober 7 years ago I went to using food for comfort (I already had food issues before but they doubled). I have reverted back to my old comfort of eating and yes, I am in therapy.

I'm sorry that this is a rough time of year for you. The best advice I can give is some advice that I've seen on this site before. Start over. Pretend like you've just had the surgery, and go back to liquids only, then pureed, then gradually add back high-protein foods into your diet. Focus on getting your Protein in every single day, at least 60-80g. Focus on getting your Water in, at least 80oz. Focus on taking your Vitamins. Remember why you got the surgery in the first place, and use that as the reason to make these changes. I wish you the very best of luck.

2 hours ago, johnsons13 said:

I had my surgery about 9 months ago and I have been stalled for the last 2 months. I know that I have been overeating and eating all the wrong things. I know I am stretching my new stomach out and I'm so angry and disappointed in myself. Has anyone else struggled and what did you do to get back on track.

The holidays are so hard for me emotionally for a few reasons. I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict and after getting clean and sober 7 years ago I went to using food for comfort (I already had food issues before but they doubled). I have reverted back to my old comfort of eating and yes, I am in therapy.

We know when we are self sabotaging. We know what we should be doing. What will it take to get your mind back in the game? IDK seems to be different for each of us.

I struggle with my behaviors around food. I have had a gain. I beat myself up and was not where I wanted to be. Getting back on track was work. It's a mental battle. Glad that you are working through things in therapy.

What works for me may not work for you.I justified and made excuses for my food choices. I needed a reality check, More like a smack upside the head to force myself to get back to basics.

I gave myself perspective : A person with cancer and days to live would gladly trade places for my weight loss struggles. Yes, getting back on track is hard. But, dying from cancer is harder. This can be done. You already overcame addiction/alcohol. Obesity is the next challenge.

I wish you the best in finding what works for you.

Hi, try using any positive forward momentum you can to push you through. Upcoming resolutions, challenges, event, etc. You can do it! We support you!

This is why I needed to post on here. To get uplifting messages from people who understand the struggle. I do try to revert back to my beginning days and even then I was horrible but not this bad. My addict brain kicks in and justifies my negative behavior. When I mess up, it tells me "ef it, you've done bad might as well finish off the day." I know I can do this. I might have to be uncomfortable in the beginning, but the results are worth it. Thank y'all for the encouraging words.

I had stay tracked back after Christmas but gained more weight but i got skipped lunchtimes but my goals to exercise more till i get skin surgery lose more weight..

but i got lose weight at 284 because I’m biking morning,afternoon and evening for 40 minutes sometimes noon will helpful..

i cant wait get quality for my skin surgery at bariatric doctor to says or more exercise

but I’m going gym I’m chose treadmill or bike would best for me to rid my saggy stomach till my skin surgery to rid

Im eat Breakfast include oats and eggs, snack and healthier dinner include protein..

I have been doing a lot better since the new year. I still do wrong, but I'm slowly getting back on track. I'm drinking more fluids and getting those back where they are supposed to be and taking my Vitamins. I am not looking forward to going to my dr and getting weighed. I think I go this month for my next visit. I get so angry and you would think that would be enough but all that does is give my warped mind a reason to indulge in comfort foods. I'm trying to drink a Protein Drink for 2 of my meals and then a nice dinner that is mostly Protein. I'm getting at least 1 protein drink in so far a day.

Some more words of encouragement for you
You are strong when you know your weaknesses
You are beautiful when you appreciate your flaws
You are wise when you learnt from your mistakes.
Don't listen to the defeatist voice in your head; it wants you staying fat, and I don't believe YOU really do, now when you have traveled so far already. Believe in yourself and believe you still can do better!

Have you been going to therapy to address the underlying issues?

As a food addict myself, some of the techniques I've discussed in therapy are...

• I'm an obsessive person; redirect my obsessive thoughts
  • Reducing my environmental triggers
  • Grounding and meditation
  • Using exercise or other activity to replace the high I seek from food

Of course, therapy is only a start - it takes forever to really figure out what the underlying issues are and to fix them, but it's the only way to truly move forward

On 01/06/2019 at 14:58, Sara1981050 said:

I had stay tracked back after Christmas but gained more weight but i got skipped lunchtimes but my goals to exercise more till i get skin surgery lose more weight..

but i got lose weight at 284 because I’m biking morning,afternoon and evening for 40 minutes sometimes noon will helpful..

i cant wait get quality for my skin surgery at bariatric doctor to says or more exercise

but I’m going gym I’m chose treadmill or bike would best for me to rid my saggy stomach till my skin surgery to rid

Im eat Breakfast include oats and eggs,snack and healthier dinner include protein..

Day by day. I’m glad you are going to see your doctor. I hope they can give you some advice. I am meeting with a nutritionist on my own to make sure I stay on track. Hang in there. You can do this. I think many people have some gain back or stalls. Don’t feel like a failure, it’s part of the learning process. I have learned how easy it is for me to eat my way around my sleeve if I’m not careful. I have to be thoughtful about everything I eat or drink.