Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Frail and Hungry

So my specific doctor/nutritionist has told me to be on clear liquid diet (no Protein powders) for a whole 7 days after my surgery. Im on day 5 and slowly the hunger is eating at me. My diet is pretty much a f*ck ton of sugar free crystal light, Jello, and the occasional strained chicken and noodle Soup. (and water) tonight its finally getting to me. Ive experienced mild dumping after the strained chicken and noodle soup, but honestly im willing to risk the dumping for at least a sip of my favorite Atkins Protein Drink. Any tips? (btw i cannot stomach broth it makes me wanna vomit)

So my specific doctor/nutritionist has told me to be on clear liquid diet (no Protein powders) for a whole 7 days after my surgery. Im on day 5 and slowly the hunger is eating at me. My diet is pretty much a f*ck ton of sugar free crystal light, Jello, and the occasional strained chicken and noodle Soup. (and water) tonight its finally getting to me. Ive experienced mild dumping after the strained chicken and noodle Soup, but honestly im willing to risk the dumping for at least a sip of my favorite Atkins Protein Drink. Any tips? (btw i cannot stomach broth it makes me wanna vomit)

I feel ur pain....i just ended my 7 day clear liquid diet today .... It will b over before u kno it.... 2 more days keep pushing

miss.carter

I had surgery on Monday and all of the sudden broth is repulsive to me as well. I like the SF pop cycles on this stage. My clear liquid stage is pretty strict too.

Just now, Ed_NW said:

I had surgery on Monday and all of the sudden broth is repulsive to me as well. I like the SF pop cycles on this stage. My clear liquid stage is pretty strict too.

See i just cant take anymore cold stuff, I've just avoided popsicles lol. Ive eaten room temp Jello to avoid the cold. I think im going to try strained cream of mushroom (which is a recommendation in my nutrition book)

47 minutes ago, amypel said:

I’m only ONE DAY post op, and just came home today. I’m starving-is that normal?

Yes it seems to be. It all seems to get better day by day. On day 4 post op, Water makes me full. Crazy stuff... LOL

7 days of post op clears is pretty strict. Packaged broth is pretty awful to me now, but the broth from wonton Soup went down pretty easily, maybe try that?

13 hours ago, quana711 said:

I feel ur pain....i just ended my 7 day clear liquid diet today .... It will b over before u kno it.... 2 more days keep pushing

miss.carter

Our surgeon will have us on 21 days of clear liquid diet. I wish it could be only 7. I am not looking forward to that part of the journey but this too shall pass. LOL.

16 minutes ago, Coexister said:

Our surgeon will have us on 21 days of clear liquid diet. I wish it could be only 7. I am not looking forward to that part of the journey but this too shall pass. LOL.

are you mixing Protein Powder with your Clear Liquids? ?

I had tons of hot herbal tea's. To this day I have the herbal tea " Smooth Move" it helps with you know what.

9 hours ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

7 days of post op clears is pretty strict. Packaged broth is pretty awful to me now, but the broth from wonton Soup went down pretty easily, maybe try that?

These taste like the packets in Top Ramon and are way better. :1312_thumbsup_tone3:

2106524477_chickencube.png.f1d47b0b9e8c0a0664f4a3e5754cb14f.png

19 hours ago, HannahRB said:

So my specific doctor/nutritionist has told me to be on clear liquid diet (no Protein powders) for a whole 7 days after my surgery. Im on day 5 and slowly the hunger is eating at me. My diet is pretty much a f*ck ton of sugar free crystal light, Jello, and the occasional strained chicken and noodle Soup. (and water) tonight its finally getting to me. Ive experienced mild dumping after the strained chicken and noodle Soup, but honestly im willing to risk the dumping for at least a sip of my favorite Atkins Protein Drink. Any tips? (btw i cannot stomach broth it makes me wanna vomit)

My surgeon has his patients do a 14 day post op clear liquid diet (do not miss it at all). SF Popsicles, Jello, tea, and Protein Water (I did Isopure, get it on Amazon) is pretty much what I lived on. As far as broth, I did something "weird" that worked for me - I bought really inexpensive chicken/meat pieces, seasoned them and cooked them in a broth with onion, garlic etc. like a soup then strained the broth out and threw out the solids. Tasted WAAAY better than store bought broth. It can get expensive and wasteful, which is why I would bought the cheapest chicken pieces I could find (a small amount will do), but it added "something" to the plain broth that made it more palatable, maybe some fat content or something, not sure. You can do a pretty large batch at one time.

All of this aside, you will be weak no matter what, and likely will be for a few weeks. It will pass, the first few weeks are the worst. I am only 6 weeks out and around 3 weeks I got a HUGE boost of energy, so just fight through it for now. If you feel horrible at any point, make sure you speak to your surgeon, and always follow his plan, no matter how much you wanna do your own thing! Good luck!