Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else developed bulimia after the bypass? I throw up almost every meal and have for the past 7 months. I've seen a GI dr and he couldn't find anything wrong with me so he suggested I see a therapist.

Are you trying to throw up?

No nausea just happens after the 1st or 2nd bite.

Have you seriously only lost 28lbs since surgery and you're throwing up after 1-2 bites?

28lbs? I've lost 118 lbs. From a size 24 to a size 10!

12 minutes ago, Krizwilliams said:

It's the info under your profile on the left she was referencing. Great job btw!

28 minutes ago, Krizwilliams said:

Here's what shows up under your name.

image.png.584be9ae32aa0c7dd5f09768d9a1fae0.png

By this, you've only lost about 28lbs. Start 279, Current Wt 251. :) Differ=28lbs.

Congrats on your weight loss.

1 hour ago, Krizwilliams said:

Has anyone else developed bulimia after the bypass? I throw up almost every meal and have for the past 7 months. I've seen a GI dr and he couldn't find anything wrong with me so he suggested I see a therapist.

Bulimia Nervosa

Bulimia nervosa is a serious disorder that involves a recurring pattern of binge eating followed by dangerous compensatory behaviors in an effort to counteract or “undo” the calories consumed during the binge. People with bulimia often feel trapped in this cycle of dysregulated eating, and there is a risk for major medical consequences associated with bulimic behaviors. Research has provided varying results but conservative estimates regarding bulimia indicate that about 1.5% of women and .5% of men will have bulimia at some point in their lifetime. In certain populations, prevalence rates are much higher, such as on college campuses where up to 20% of college-age females endorse symptoms of bulimia.

Diagnostic criteria for Bulimia Nervosa (from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition (DSM-V)

1. Recurrent episodes of binge eating
  2. Recurrent inappropriate compensatory behaviors (such as self-induced vomiting, misuse of laxatives, fasting, or excessive exercise) in order to prevent weight gain
  3. The binge eating and inappropriate compensatory behaviors both occur, on average, at least 1x/week for 3 months.
  4. Self-evaluation is unduly influenced by body shape and weight.
  5. The disturbance does not occur exclusively during episodes of anorexia nervosa

https://www.eatingdisorder.org/eating-disorder-information/bulimia-nervosa/

If you go, try to find someone who is highly bariatric competent. We are now different beasts and "one size fits all "may not fit you. I have a PICC LINE because my gastro- intestinal system needs the rest to heal and I could not get enough Protein by mouth to heal. All our cases differ but still there are a few truths to be found. Your quality of life is becoming untenable. You should not have to live like this.

My best friend is bulimic and for her, throwing up is a conscience effort. It's not like her body just does it.

I would imagine what you are suffering from is more of a physical problem. Have you been checked for a stricture, hernia, celiac/gluten intolerance, kept a food journal to look for patterns?

I'll just add to what some of the others said. If you aren't purposefully making yourself throw up, then you aren't bulimic. You need to get a second opinion from a physician. Have you called your surgeon who did your bypass? They may know how to help you.

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Here's what shows up under your name.

image.png.584be9ae32aa0c7dd5f09768d9a1fae0.png

By this, you've only lost about 28lbs. Start 279, Current Wt 251. :) Differ=28lbs.

Congrats on your weight loss.

I just haven't updated this in awhile.

1 hour ago, NYJenn said:

My best friend is bulimic and for her, throwing up is a conscience effort. It's not like her body just does it.

I would imagine what you are suffering from is more of a physical problem. Have you been checked for a stricture, hernia, celiac/gluten intolerance, kept a food journal to look for patterns?

I have had all kinds of tests done by a GI surgeon. He's the one that suggested bulimia.

It is possible to develop food aversions/behaviors in response to WLS...just sayin'. I think in general talking with a therapist is always a great idea. They can tell you pretty quickly if it's possible to "give yourself" bulimia from food restriction. I don't think you can do that under normal circumstances. But the mind/body response is very complicated!!!