Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Learning to Trust the Process

So I'm 19 days post-op RNY and doing great! Just started to eat more solid foods after my visit with my surgeon. He said I'm right on with weight loss - 30 lbs total (13.8 pre-op/16.2 post op). Learning to add in foods and not get all crazy seeing the daily calories rise from 400ish to 700 per day. My old mind says "Oh no! Now you're going to gain with that increase. This process won't work for you!" Then my new mind kicks in and logic prevails. It's funny how our old "diet" minds are always there with illogical thoughts. This is as much of a mental journey as it is a physical journey. Anyone else find themselves with inner voices doubting?

My inner voice is pure doubt. I'm down 32lbs since 11/1 and I am convinced it is too slow, even though my surgeon is happy. I increase cals soon, but eat 20g or less of carbs a day and average around 450cals a day (all normal for my program). The last 2 weeks I've only lost 4 lbs. I am convinced 100% it's going to not get me down another 104lbs even if I am perfect with my diet, especially when I start increasing. But, I am just following along.... I can't do anything more than that. I'm pretty sure I am going to doubt everything until I see that 140lbs on the scale some day. lol.

Edited by mousecat88

Hi, you said it right, We do flash right back to our OLD DIET thinking. I doubted it so bad I also was afraid to up my calories. I developed a ADVERSION to food after my RNY. First I tried getting help with a Pysychologist about it all. She had no idea. She had never worked with WLS Peeps. Finally, I talked to my Surgeon about it. He suggested I go to the Nutritionist. Now you would think because she was involved with the process of getting to the surgery, that she would know her stuff. Anyway, she weighed me first (I had lost below the weight my DR wanted me to be) I weighed 117#'s. Mind you I was getting scared due to strictures AND I was vomiting almost with everything I ate. Do you know what she told me to do? Eat every 1/2 hour that I was awake!! Niow you are talking to someone that is SCARED to death to up my calories!! I just knew I would gain my weight back!! Another thing I still struggle with is stepping on the scales!! I started going to a new PCP, because my regular DR retired Dang it!! I have been going to her for 9 months and I do HATE to admit this I have refused to weigh since the one time when I started seeing her. I know I am OK because I go by clothes. She cornered me at my last appointment. I did say I would weigh at my next appointment. But here is the corker, she thought I had left and I heard her talking about me with her personnel at me!! I am a little P***ed, what is patient confidentially!! She must have seen me because she stopped in mid sentence. I don't know maybe I am just being thin skinned. I don't know. What do you all think?

Nominating her for What a B**** of The Year, don't know who else is running but she should be a shoe-in! Sic the HIPPAA police on her, she deserves it. Down Pitt Bull Frustr8, I wants to si,lay chompers in HER!

Im going to be one of those people who worry about the scale but you said it, you have to trust the process.

And I think I shall purchase a scale in January, instead of it telling ME my mistakes maybe now it will compliment ME. Then I will be able to know whether I am stalling or not, I am apprehensive my TPN is Stalling me Out. 1430 calories a day scares me when I was much below that by mouth prior. An expert said I should continue to lose 1-3 pounds weekly, perhaps so but I am 73 with the Basal Metabolism of a Sick Sea Snail, that's why prior to surgery. even with exercise I wasn't losing. Ah, no crying in my milk, it's skim and full of Water already, Just kick back mentally and say "Que Sera, Sera",

It is defintly a IT IS WHAT IT IS process. I know everyone of us get nervous about it all. We are just tuned that way. After diet after diet and losing the same weight over and over it is a hard obstacle to overcome!!! Trusting the process is hard for sure!! BTW I have decided to confront my DR about what she did the last time I seen her. I only go to her mostly for my pain management. I use FENTYOL Patches and she maid me take a UA every month at first, then it was every time I seen her, up until the last 6 months and she didn't even have me do one. She maid me feel like I am a DRUG SEEKER!! Even if I have to start using Medical Marijuna (which is totally legal here in Oregon) and be taken off my patches I am willing to find another DR. I don't trust her now. If she gabs at work about her PT who else is she talking to. One of the biggest draw backs of using Marijuna is it makes me HUNGRY!!! I actually feel like I can eat the paper of the wall. I can't smoke it because I'm afraid it will make me start smoking again. Oh such sorry. LOL TRUST yourself to do what is best for you!! We are all WINNERS in this game.

Only time we accept the term Loser is on our Bench of Victory, in all ozther facets you are right WE ARE🏆WINNERS!