Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 54 and had my surgery on 1/22/19. My husband is very fit and very active. We used to do outdoor things together but as my weight got bigger my back pain started keeping me from walking or cycling. The day I realized I could no longer fit my kayak comfortably (and I have a wider one) much less get in and out of it easily was a very sobering thing. I had to tip the kayak to the side and splash myself out of it. Where we kayak is a pretty busy lake for that. Everyone is in shape. Some people are even doing yoga standing on paddle boards. While no one looked at me judgingly, I felt utterly humiliated. When I couldn't actually kayak anymore I'd still go and just read on the shore and people watch. But then I'd see older thinner women chatting up my husband because (not because he is MY husband) he is a pretty handsome guy. He loves me and would never cheat but it still made me feel awful about myself. So I stopped going and saw my husband go alone.

Since I couldn't ride a regular bike anymore I bought a recumbent tricycle, my sweet husband who rides 40-50 miles every Sunday and every day rides to work got one too so we could go together and I wouldn't feel like the old fat lady riding a tricycle while he rides in circles around me in his very expensive bike. But soon enough I could hardly breathe riding and I give you 2 guesses of where my trike is but you'll only need one.

I live in the state with the least obese people in the whole USA. That's because there so many things you can do outdoors in any season and everyone takes advantage of that. I used to go hiking and chase down waterfalls to take pictures of them. Sometimes going for miles in tough terrain uphill both ways 😉 to reach my goal. It felt wonderful to be out in nature, catch a glimpse of a deer every now and then and get to see the most spectacular and majestic scenes God created.

Now I am sooo looking forward to being able to do all those things again. The thought of me hiking again with my camera brings a smile to my face and warms my heart. 🤗 And yes, vain or not, I even look forwards to feeling like a million bucks when we are out there and some woman is making googly eyes at my husband knowing that he is mine and I finally feel like I deserve him.

So should I have gone through the surgery at 54 yrs old? You bet I should have. And the bonus is I have a chance to live longer and see my 15 yr old grow up. I'm already off my blood pressure meds and the diabetic meds and all my levels are still normal 🤩🏆😁. Can't wait to get rid of the cpap and the other meds. It's been 1 month and I have lost 11 lbs from my weight prior to surgery. I am cycling at the gym for 30 mins without losing my breath. Same for going up and down the stairs. I can walk the mall without having to sit every 5 mins or wearing a back brace. And that is "just" 11 lbs!!! Can you imagine what I will be able to do when I lose another 30!!! I am surely looking forward to finding out.

Age is nothing but a thang.

On 02/23/2019 at 11:15, CaribeRidge said:

I'm 54 and had my surgery on 1/22/19. My husband is very fit and very active. We used to do outdoor things together but as my weight got bigger my back pain started keeping me from walking or cycling. The day I realized I could no longer fit my kayak comfortably (and I have a wider one) much less get in and out of it easily was a very sobering thing. I had to tip the kayak to the side and splash myself out of it. Where we kayak is a pretty busy lake for that. Everyone is in shape. Some people are even doing yoga standing on paddle boards. While no one looked at me judgingly, I felt utterly humiliated. When I couldn't actually kayak anymore I'd still go and just read on the shore and people watch. But then I'd see older thinner women chatting up my husband because (not because he is MY husband) he is a pretty handsome guy. He loves me and would never cheat but it still made me feel awful about myself. So I stopped going and saw my husband go alone.

Since I couldn't ride a regular bike anymore I bought a recumbent tricycle, my sweet husband who rides 40-50 miles every Sunday and every day rides to work got one too so we could go together and I wouldn't feel like the old fat lady riding a tricycle while he rides in circles around me in his very expensive bike. But soon enough I could hardly breathe riding and I give you 2 guesses of where my trike is but you'll only need one.

I live in the state with the least obese people in the whole USA. That's because there so many things you can do outdoors in any season and everyone takes advantage of that. I used to go hiking and chase down waterfalls to take pictures of them. Sometimes going for miles in tough terrain uphill both ways 😉 to reach my goal. It felt wonderful to be out in nature, catch a glimpse of a deer every now and then and get to see the most spectacular and majestic scenes God created.

Now I am sooo looking forward to being able to do all those things again. The thought of me hiking again with my camera brings a smile to my face and warms my heart. 🤗 And yes, vain or not, I even look forwards to feeling like a million bucks when we are out there and some woman is making googly eyes at my husband knowing that he is mine and I finally feel like I deserve him.

So should I have gone through the surgery at 54 yrs old? You bet I should have. And the bonus is I have a chance to live longer and see my 15 yr old grow up. I'm already off my blood pressure meds and the diabetic meds and all my levels are still normal 🤩🏆😁. Can't wait to get rid of the cpap and the other meds. It's been 1 month and I have lost 11 lbs from my weight prior to surgery. I am cycling at the gym for 30 mins without losing my breath. Same for going up and down the stairs. I can walk the mall without having to sit every 5 mins or wearing a back brace. And that is "just" 11 lbs!!! Can you imagine what I will be able to do when I lose another 30!!! I am surely looking forward to finding out.

Age is nothing but a thang.

I love your attitude!!!

Brittmar1
I’m down 100# but not just from surgery. I dropped weight during prep time. I just don’t know when it started down. All I can say is that I hit -100 around December 1st (about 4 1/2 months) post op.
Note: to ALPACA I also retain water! Boy do I. I gained 5 pounds during surgery. Keep in mind how little we eat post op. It took me 2 full weeks to drop that 5 pounds of IV Fluid. Also anytime I drop big in one day I bounce up big then I struggle to get back down. It’s frustrating but now I know when I post big drop my body reacts quickly to jerk me up then down slowly and controlled.
TO ANYONE WHO HAS NAUSEA AT ANY STAGE TAKE Vitamin B1(thiamin). It is well documented to control/prevent nausea. As for Hair loss take Biotin. Both are Water soluble Vitamins which means they won’t buildup in you body and that means you need them daily.

One more thing about my post op improvements. Down 100#. Considering I weighed 373 pre op. It’s a sizable ( pun intended) improvement but my insulin dose is THE BEST NEWS. I had surgery on Monday. On the previous Saturday I took 180 units of insulin. I have not had a single unit of insulin since. Oh happy day!!!

Thanks for that. I had that Water issue after surgery but it was more like 13 lbs and the surgeon’s office was like how come you lost so little?
They told me the I’ve weight would disappear on its own quickly. I weighed my self the day of surgery on my scale and when I walked in from the hospital. I use my scale as my judge. I have a dr appointment the end of March. We’ll see how that goes. I was 68 when I had my surgery and like you feel the difference already.
Good luck to you!!
Look forward to chatting!

On 2/19/2019 at 9:32 PM, PALOMABELLA said:

Im 57 and im for may surgery.. A little scared though i must admit. Scared about loosing too much Lbs. Im 215 and i dont want to go under 275 because everuthing will fall on me, starting with my hair....but im a yoyo dieter and im tired of it. sleep apnea, hypertention, feet n knee arthritis. I really want to be healthy n pain free be able to play with my grand son n see him go to college. It is never too old to get sleeved. Good luck.

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m guessing you meant 175? Whatever weight you decide to maintain at, your dietician will change up your diet to slow/stop your weight loss. Healthy is the goal. As long as you don’t get to a underweight BMI all is good.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:36 PM, Mbeasley said:

Surgery 2/20 1:30pm

I hope you are doing well!

Mountaineer514, you are singing my song this morning. My surgery is TODAY 2/20/2019 at 1:30pm. While everyones jourany is different, I will share my journey health issues reversed journey as i am claiming it in the name of Jesus!!!

....Amen...how r you feeling. All the nervousness is now over. And ready for a new life. JESUS IS IN CONTROL

Im 57 and im for may surgery.. A little scared though i must admit. Scared about loosing too much Lbs. Im 215 and i dont want to go under 175 because everuthing will fall on me, starting with my hair....but im a yoyo dieter and im tired of it. sleep apnea, hypertention, feet n knee arthritis. I really want to be healthy n pain free be able to play with my grand son n see him go to college. It is never too old to get sleeved. Good luck.

....Amen...how r you feeling. All the nervousness is now over. And ready for a new life. JESUS IS IN CONTROL

Turned 50 last October and got sleeved 2/6.
As someone who survived stage 3 breast cancer at age 40, turning 50 was a huge milestone. But it also kinda sucked because I was at 41% BMI and super unhealthy.
I have 2 kids in their 20’s and a wonderful husband (Fate offered me a second chance) of 3 years.
I want to turn 51 in the best shape of my adult life and I want to thrive instead of just surviving.

Hell yeah! After 50 is as good a time as any to take control of your life back

I'm 58 and had my surgery in November. Now I think I'm going backwards age-wise! I can walk again! Previously I could barely make it to the car or the end of the block..now I am back to walking miles in a day and loving it!

Best decision I ever made and not looking back!

On 2/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, DanaC84 said:
On 2/20/2019 at 6:46 AM, Mbeasley said:

Mountaineer514, you are singing my song this morning. My surgery is TODAY 2/20/2019 at 1:30pm. While everyones jourany is different, I will share my journey health issues reversed journey as i am claiming it in the name of Jesus!!!

Praying for you today and look forward to sharing your journey as we move to a better life

Thank you! Surgery day has come and gone, i am home from the hospital here is what it was like for me:

Surgery day and after: Surgery 2/20/2019

I never got scared as i got close to surgery time and even when they wheeled me in and put me to sleep i was not, i think my will to be healed from so many medical issues was stronger then the surgery.

In recovery: I remember i was not talking much all they got out of me was a head nod i was not i a talkative mood.

After recovery: i really dont remember the ride lol.

My family was waiting for me and even then i did not have much to say even though i heard everything that was being spoken. After about an hour in my room i then started speaking.

My belly hurt, i got meds for that, i never got nauseated in the hospital and i drinked my Water like a trooper. Well i dunked the four small cups thats all. The next night, i understood why i was a trooper my belly was still full of medicine so i was not sensing that i was full. Oh, baby, but, the next day everything changed!!! It was hard getting that water down. The next day i did not want to walk either. The Nurses on the floor did not make me walk as well. I got the will yo walk on my own. I started having feelings that i was getting a cold. They had to give me meds for it. My doctor was a little annoyed thinking i was sick when i got there and i told him i was not. He told me his OR was cleaner then my house....(i will address that with him in time). When i got home after two days the cold symptoms were gone. It seemed like it was something my body was reacting to maybe my internal fear....

Home: i had a tough time getting water and meal shake down. All my liquid preparing made me sick to look at it. The pre packaged Protein Shakes made me sick to taste and to look at and the power shakes just the same. Now all of these things i loved prior to the surgery date. I could not get the water down, my BP was low low and my urine was dark. I had to figure out what to do with out having someone rush me back to the hospital...I got my BP some by adding salt to my popsicle. I starting drinking water omitting the Protein Shake since my water hd 20 grams of Protein in it. I never called the doctor because i did not want to renter the hospital.

Let me digress, dumping is real, when i was trying to get my protein and water in before the shakes turned my tummy upside down with a thought i had a dumping episode. It was horrible and it lasted over four hours.

I have been drinking this protein water which had 20 grams of protein in it and i feel better. I am down 10lbs and my BP is better. I see non scale loss as well. My two week follow ip is in two days 3/5/2019 and my soft starts 3/7/2019.

I feel good today.

I am scheduled to return to work on the 14 if March, but as a supervisor i am afraid i will go back to old habits if managing my agents and moving about the office and lose track if my water intake. I am trying to this of how to explain this to my Doctor Tuesday for him to request me to be off an extra week.

Today: I burp alllllll the time. Oh, i forgot to tell you i did not even like the smell of the chewable vitamins anymore yuk yuk.

Health changes: my left side of my leg swelling is GONE! I have walked around the house with heals on and i have not been able to wear real shoes i 3 1/2 years!!! I am super excited about this change.

Well i hope all of this makes sense.

Best decision Imade for me! I can see change in my face. I will take a body shot at my Doctors office on 3/5/2019 and post.

C97F2586-FBF2-455D-81E2-21DC11E113CB.jpeg

The 27 lbs down is from my first day walking into the clinic for my first consultation 9/19/2018 to 3/3/2019.

My starting weight was 283 9/19/2019 and my weight this morning 3/3/2019 is 254. i have a positive LOSS of 29lbs. YAY!!

7 minutes ago, Mbeasley said:

Thank you! Surgery day has come and gone, i am home from the hospital here is what it was like for me:

Surgery day and after: Surgery 2/20/2019

I never got scared as i got close to surgery time and even when they wheeled me in and put me to sleep i was not, i think my will to be healed from so many medical issues was stronger then the surgery.

In recovery: I remember i was not talking much all they got out of me was a head nod i was not i a talkative mood.

After recovery: i really dont remember the ride lol.

My family was waiting for me and even then i did not have much to say even though i heard everything that was being spoken. After about an hour in my room i then started speaking.

My belly hurt, i got meds for that, i never got nauseated in the hospital and i drinked my Water like a trooper. Well i dunked the four small cups thats all. The next night, i understood why i was a trooper my belly was still full of medicine so i was not sensing that i was full. Oh, baby, but, the next day everything changed!!! It was hard getting that Water down. The next day i did not want to walk either. The Nurses on the floor did not make me walk as well. I got the will yo walk on my own. I started having feelings that i was getting a cold. They had to give me meds for it. My doctor was a little annoyed thinking i was sick when i got there and i told him i was not. He told me his OR was cleaner then my house....(i will address that with him in time). When i got home after two days the cold symptoms were gone. It seemed like it was something my body was reacting to maybe my internal fear....

Home: i had a tough time getting water and meal shake down. All my liquid preparing made me sick to look at it. The pre packaged Protein Shakes made me sick to taste and to look at and the power shakes just the same. Now all of these things i loved prior to the surgery date. I could not get the water down, my BP was low low and my urine was dark. I had to figure out what to do with out having someone rush me back to the hospital...I got my BP some by adding salt to my popsicle. I starting drinking water omitting the Protein Shake since my water hd 20 grams of Protein in it. I never called the doctor because i did not want to renter the hospital.

Let me digress, dumping is real, when i was trying to get my Protein and water in before the shakes turned my tummy upside down with a thought i had a dumping episode. It was horrible and it lasted over four hours.

I have been drinking this protein water which had 20 grams of protein in it and i feel better. I am down 10lbs and my BP is better. I see non scale loss as well. My two week follow ip is in two days 3/5/2019 and my soft starts 3/7/2019.

I feel good today.

I am scheduled to return to work on the 14 if March, but as a supervisor i am afraid i will go back to old habits if managing my agents and moving about the office and lose track if my water intake. I am trying to this of how to explain this to my Doctor Tuesday for him to request me to be off an extra week.

Today: I burp alllllll the time. Oh, i forgot to tell you i did not even like the smell of the chewable vitamins anymore yuk yuk.

Health changes: my left side of my leg swelling is GONE! I have walked around the house with heals on and i have not been able to wear real shoes i 3 1/2 years!!! I am super excited about this change.

Well i hope all of this makes sense.

Best decision Imade for me! I can see change in my face. I will take a body shot at my Doctors office on 3/5/2019 and post.

C97F2586-FBF2-455D-81E2-21DC11E113CB.jpeg

You can really see it in your face. You look AMAZING! I had a rough go of it too!

On 2/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, DanaC84 said:
On 2/20/2019 at 6:46 AM, Mbeasley said:

Praying for you today and look forward to sharing your journey as we move to a better life

Thank you, i hope you are doing much better.