Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Upset about a Meatball!

Maybe it is just me, but tonight i decided to make meatballs. I am 5 weeks post op and on softs, and one more week to go before i can have normal foods. Today i had a case of the foamies.. during lunch at work and spent a good hour and a half with my head over a waste basket all because i took the 2 final sips of my Protein shake.. and then proceeded to heat up my chicken (made in a slow cooker). Not sure if i didnt chew enough or if it was because i had the two sips and didnt wait.. anyways.. i came home and had one more go of the same chicken.. and i was totally fine. I made meatballs tonight because i am flying to DC tomorrow and i wanted to take one for lunch and 2 on the plane since my flight leaves at between lunch and dinner. Sorry for the ramble, but anyways, I made low carb meatballs ( no breadcrumbs) and i tried one tonight to see how they taste.. and they were very good. As i went to log it in my fitness pal I about died when i saw the 1.5 ounce (raw) meatball after cooked had 12 grams of fat, and 174 calories. I am seriously sad... I need to find a new way to make these... ( I also added genpro so the protein was 17 for one.. I was happy about that LOL)

Anyways, just needed to vent!

Thanks

Surely all you need to make a meatball is ground beef/pork/chicken or whatever , some herbs and spices for flavour and an egg to bind the mixture.

11 hours ago, Jazzy1125 said:

Maybe it is just me, but tonight i decided to make meatballs. I am 5 weeks post op and on softs, and one more week to go before i can have normal foods. Today i had a case of the foamies.. during lunch at work and spent a good hour and a half with my head over a waste basket all because i took the 2 final sips of my Protein shake.. and then proceeded to heat up my chicken (made in a slow cooker). Not sure if i didnt chew enough or if it was because i had the two sips and didnt wait.. anyways.. i came home and had one more go of the same chicken.. and i was totally fine. I made meatballs tonight because i am flying to DC tomorrow and i wanted to take one for lunch and 2 on the plane since my flight leaves at between lunch and dinner. Sorry for the ramble, but anyways, I made low carb meatballs ( no breadcrumbs) and i tried one tonight to see how they taste.. and they were very good. As i went to log it in my fitness pal I about died when i saw the 1.5 ounce (raw) meatball after cooked had 12 grams of fat, and 174 calories. I am seriously sad... I need to find a new way to make these... ( I also added genpro so the Protein was 17 for one.. I was happy about that LOL)

Thanks

I agree with elcee, just use ground chicken or ground turkey. I always use ground chicken even before wls, it's all about the spices. I made some and chopped up fresh mushrooms, spinach, onion and a little shredded cheese, they were delish!! No egg or breadcrumbs either.

This is a learning process for us all so don't beat yourself up 😉

11 hours ago, Jazzy1125 said:

Maybe it is just me, but tonight i decided to make meatballs. I am 5 weeks post op and on softs, and one more week to go before i can have normal foods. Today i had a case of the foamies.. during lunch at work and spent a good hour and a half with my head over a waste basket all because i took the 2 final sips of my Protein shake.. and then proceeded to heat up my chicken (made in a slow cooker). Not sure if i didnt chew enough or if it was because i had the two sips and didnt wait.. anyways.. i came home and had one more go of the same chicken.. and i was totally fine. I made meatballs tonight because i am flying to DC tomorrow and i wanted to take one for lunch and 2 on the plane since my flight leaves at between lunch and dinner. Sorry for the ramble, but anyways, I made low carb meatballs ( no breadcrumbs) and i tried one tonight to see how they taste.. and they were very good. As i went to log it in my fitness pal I about died when i saw the 1.5 ounce (raw) meatball after cooked had 12 grams of fat, and 174 calories. I am seriously sad... I need to find a new way to make these... ( I also added genpro so the Protein was 17 for one.. I was happy about that LOL)

Thanks

Don't beat yourself up for 174 calories! It's 174 calories of real/not over-processed food! This is where you want to get to, not run away from! Personally, I consider a 10/1 ratio acceptable of calories to protein (174 calories vs 17g protein) for real foods. Sure you get more protein/calorie in Protein Drinks, but you want to move away from those as you get further from your surgery. I think you're doing fine!

6 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Don't beat yourself up for 174 calories! It's 174 calories of real/not over-processed food! This is where you want to get to, not run away from! Personally, I consider a 10/1 ratio acceptable of calories to Protein (174 calories vs 17g protein) for real foods. Sure you get more protein/calorie in Protein Drinks, but you want to move away from those as you get further from your surgery. I think you're doing fine!

WHAT move away from my protein shake!!!!! You just pushed me over the mountain's edge!! LOL I guess I'm stuck then. If I didn't get my Protein Shakes in daily, I would not get my Water or protein in. Looks like I am going to need help.

16 hours ago, Liz The New Me said:

WHAT move away from my Protein shake!!!!! You just pushed me over the mountain's edge!! LOL I guess I'm stuck then. If I didn't get my Protein Shakes in daily, I would not get my Water or protein in. Looks like I am going to need help.

You're only 2 months out. Plenty of time! You'll get there eventually. I still need supplements sometimes.

Surely all you need to make a meatball is ground beef/pork/chicken or whatever , some herbs and spices for flavour and an egg to bind the mixture.
Thats what i did

SW 306.6 CW 266.8 GW 135

I agree with elcee, just use ground chicken or ground turkey. I always use ground chicken even before wls, it's all about the spices. I made some and chopped up fresh mushrooms, spinach, onion and a little shredded cheese, they were delish!! No egg or breadcrumbs either.
This is a learning process for us all so don't beat yourself up [emoji6]
I dont use breadcrumbs..my downfall was the pork. I nprmally use ground turkey but think i might go ground chicken..it was the fst grams that gave me a heart attack lol

SW 306.6 CW 266.8 GW 135

But..again it was só good. I will swap out the ground or do a mixture of some..and i like the idea of adding veggies..but thats next week. Lol I havent been cleared to add veggies yet. I am still at 5 weeks..6 weeks on Thurs

SW 306.6 CW 266.8 GW 135

Turkey meatballs for the win

Strain fat out while cooking.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using BariatricPal mobile app

I made my own ground turkey (Italian sausage) meatballs without breading but with asiago and parm cheese and eggs. I brown them, then simmer them in Tomato sauce (with garlic and Italian spices) for a few hours and YUM! Some recipes I found online mention adding almond flour. I'm not sure how to figure out the nutrition, but with no breadcrumbs I'm thinking they're at least close to the bariatric recommendations. I will have to look into it further once I have my surgery.