Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Puking: Post-Op vs. Pre-Op

1 minute ago, Kimmie K said:

Every cloud has a silver lining, right?!

Yeah, that brief few sentences of positivity is about all I've got.

I haven’t vomited properly for the last 9 years. I have however spent far too much time in bathrooms ( my own, friends, restaurants) regurgitating!

With a band you don’t throw up the way you do preband because the food is coming from on top of your band and is mixed with saliva not bile. It’s not fun but it’s nowhere near as horrible as proper vomiting.

My worst experience was 1 night when I had a few drinks too many. Woke up feeling awful. In the preband days I would have vomited to feel better, with the band that wasn’t an option. Needless to say I have avoided getting into that situation again.

My band comes out in Jan and I’m revising to RNY so it will be interesting to see how this changes things

Usually the Campbell Soup that causes the Dump deDump-Dump is 🍅 in fact quite notorious. I don't know if someone in the original got the pea-sized brain that tomatoes were bitter and so nasty that you had to add sugar and starch to the formula, nut they did it and some of us end up "reaping the whirlwind". And alas and alack, there we are!💦

It was actually a recommended food for me on full liquids, BUT I read later than cream can really upset an ulcer (which at the time I didn't know I had)... so I think I had some weird... dumping-like reaction because I have the ulcer and the cream didn't sit well. Once the ulcer heals, I can probably have it... but.... no. lol.
Oh that makes more sense. Not that it's good for you [emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Most of the women are either super ninja poopers or don't poop here.

Omg I can't imagine anything worse than other workmates hearing me poop. OK I can, if they smelled my poop, that would be worse. I'd rather suffer the Constipation.

I haven’t vomited properly for the last 9 years. I have however spent far too much time in bathrooms ( my own, friends, restaurants) regurgitating!
With a band you don’t throw up the way you do preband because the food is coming from on top of your band and is mixed with saliva not bile. It’s not fun but it’s nowhere near as horrible as proper vomiting.
My worst experience was 1 night when I had a few drinks too many. Woke up feeling awful. In the preband days I would have vomited to feel better, with the band that wasn’t an option. Needless to say I have avoided getting into that situation again.
My band comes out in Jan and I’m revising to RNY so it will be interesting to see how this changes things
It's definitely different. I use to be able (have to) PB at the slightest thing, but I don't do that anymore. Much more pleasant, generally speaking. If I eat too much firm Protein, it sits in my chest like lead, but at least I'm not rushing to the bathroom.

Usually the Campbell Soup that causes the Dump deDump-Dump is [emoji534] in fact quite notorious. I don't know if someone in the original got the pea-sized brain that tomatoes were bitter and so nasty that you had to add sugar and starch to the formula, nut they did it and some of us end up "reaping the whirlwind". And alas and alack, there we are![emoji97]
I wonder if the international recipes are not as sugary.

4 minutes ago, ummyasmin said:

Omg I can't imagine anything worse than other workmates hearing me poop. OK I can, if they smelled my poop, that would be worse. I'd rather suffer the Constipation.< br />

Yessss!!!! The bathroom is tiny with only 2 stalls that are enclosed, tiled floor to ceiling with huge heavy wood doors. Every sound resonates and every smell seeps under the main door into the hallway which happens to be directly across from the CEO’s office! 😂 I cannot and have not pooped at work for the entire 4 years I’ve been there. If it’s urgent enough, I’ll leave and use the CVS down the street LOLOLOL

Can you imagine breaking wind and having it echo? I have heard it jokingly called the🚽 Porcelain Palace, sounds as though yours could just be THAT!💩🚽

I manged to get to one month post op with no barfing. Last night I made a dumb decision. Doc said I could move to Vitamin pills after 1 month, and I hate the nasty chewables. So pre-op my Vitamins were in a two pill dose, giant horse pills. I took one one night and it was ok, so last night I figured I would take the whole dose. DUMB move. It felt stuck and caused awful pain. In desperation I tried to make myself vomit, but I couldn't...but the gagging moved it a bit and I did feel better. The heaving felt pretty similar, but I wasn't able to bring anything up.

I hve thrown up 3 times all in the same morning on the day I had my kidney stone attack. I had only maybe 2 spoons of cottage cheese so it was a soft and gentle vomit without churning or contractions. I was so afraid being 16 days out. But it was as soft as a kitten. Lol. The next 2 vomits were just Water but they were also gentle and pretty noiseless. I didn't know it was kidney stones until I was seen at the ER. I dont know if food poisoning or flu vomits would be worse. I carry a big ziplock bag in my purse in case I get another kidney stone attack whil out and about.

vomiting for me is way easier now than it was pre-op. There's just never all that much food in your stomach, for one thing. For another, you're not producing as much stomach acid, either, so you don't get that awful taste in your mouth. I vomited a fair amount the first couple of months post op due to 1) strictures and 2) some foods not sitting well with me, but now I vomit about as often as I did pre-surgery (i.e., rarely)

So preop my vomits, were monumental. Actually bruised my throat once and one time it was so forceful it sprayed down when it hit the back of my front teeth. I know tmi but now, one month post op I’ve had two episodes. Last week I ate one two many bites of mashed potatoes and thank god I was next to the sink. It’s weird it’s a foamy frothy mess and it came up quick. Second time was yesterday at work pot luck lunch. My biggest fear post op is a work episode from either end. I was good and fine but an hour later wandered into the kitchen and ate two Chick-fil-A nuggets and one mini corn dog nugget looking thing. I thought I could make it throw the breading - nope! I felt the chest pain and left to walk around outside. Fortunately there is a Park next door. Waking wasn’t helping and I knew it was coming up quick so I dove behind a bush stop for one step let her rip and kept waking. I don’t think anyone noticed or even heard.

I’ve also been lucky that the other end issue has only been Constipation twice and not at work. I’m not a work pooper - in fact Home Depot has clean restrooms five minutes away - so I’ve been lucky there. My stuff smelled way worse preop!

If it’s urgent enough, I’ll leave and use the CVS down the street LOLOLOL

Hah! You have an escape plan! Very sensible.

16 hours ago, ummyasmin said:

Hell no, once was enough for me. I can't even look at a Mocha from the servo now. Not that they are that great to begin with (coffee snob coz I'm from Melbourne, Oz)

I drink a flat white every morning on my way to work and it goes down great. Mind you, it's 45 minutes after Breakfast, so lots of time to let any food go down. I'm wondering if you barfed because you drank your mocha so soon after eating the apple and Pringles. I did that once and almost immediately felt the need to spew.