Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random Midnight Vomiting?

This morning I woke up suddenly at 1am extremely nauseous. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom and dry-heaved my brains out for about 10 min. Only a small amount of mucus and saliva came up. There wasn't anything TO come up, as my last "meal" was a soy shake at 6pm the previous day. Before that I had 2oz puree chicken salad at noon.

I went back to bed and woke up a few times nauseous, but not pukey. I am staying home from work and going in at noon. Trying to sip Water but it makes me nauseous as soon as it hits my stomach so I've only had 6 sips in the last hour.

What gives?!?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Are you taking the pepcid anti nauseous medication? That should help

Are you taking the pepcid anti nauseous medication? That should help
I have an ulcer and I am on Carafate and Prilosec. I was pulled off Pepcid in exchange for Prilosec once I was diagnosed with the ulcer.

I messaged into my surgeon about a nausea medication because I have Zofran from immediately post-op, but it does nothing.

Just don't understand why I would suddenly wake up so sick when I obviously hadn't eaten or drank anything...

My guess and its a IMHO, stomach secretions, maybe a tad gastric acid, your ulcers romping and stomping in there,, remember I too am fighting the stomach spasms et al right along side of you. HAVE often said Do I WANT to wake up today?

Electrolyte imbalance? It's very easy to get that way especially if you're in ketosis. Nausea, weakness, shakes, muscle spasms etc. anywhere can be caused by low sodium, magnesium or other electrolytes.

Edited by Kimmie K

I agree with above commenters that it may be a build up of too much stomach acid

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

The nurse is trying to track down the surgeon to call in some Phenergan. I probably did just have some one-off overproduction of stomach acid. I am taking Prilosec and Carafate, so it's frustrating that happened... I woke up in a sudden state of panic. Totally random.

4 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

The nurse is trying to track down the surgeon to call in some Phenergan. I probably did just have some one-off overproduction of stomach acid. I am taking Prilosec and Carafate, so it's frustrating that happened... I woke up in a sudden state of panic. Totally random.

I've heard of Phenergan. They give it to you for morning sickness when you're preggo. I never had to take it but I heard it works well.

And I had a small child who was on it for duodenal spasms. I always thought it smelled a little minty from the times he would urp up on me. And I think it may be somewhere in the opioid family,minor league but still qualified to attend the Family Reunion.

Any chance it could be gallstones? When I had them, attacks nearly always happened in the middle of the night and usually involved vomiting. Any back or pain on your right side?

Any chance it could be gallstones? When I had them, attacks nearly always happened in the middle of the night and usually involved vomiting. Any back or pain on your right side?
Nah, no pain. Although I am terrified of needing my gallbladder removed. I have gallstones but they just put me on Actigall for 6 months to dissolve new ones.

And I had a small child who was on it for duodenal spasms. I always thought it smelled a little minty from the times he would urp up on me. And I think it may be somewhere in the opioid family,minor league but still qualified to attend the Family Reunion.
I took a Phenergan and a Pepcid about 45 min ago... still feeling very queasy.

On 12/12/2018 at 19:04, mousecat88 said:

Nah, no pain. Although I am terrified of needing my gallbladder removed. I have gallstones but they just put me on Actigall for 6 months to dissolve new ones.

To be honest- having my gallbladder out was a breeze compared to my RNY surgery. But I have heard some have had the opposite experience!

I've had my gallbladder out and it was a million times better than an attack or worry about an attack. Some people get harsh diarreah afterwards when they eat fats but I was ok. I was young and naive and didnt ask any questions.