Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st appointment on Saturday

Hi everyone,

I’m so nervous as my first ever(!) appointment is on Saturday. I’m about 5’2 and 226 - just hit the 40bmi mark so I believe that should be in my favor. My insurance will allow the surgery. But here is my main question - is there anything I should NOT say that will hinder my chances of the doctor accepting me as a patient? I know that sounds corny but I have tried every diet known to man in the past 4 years and the weight just keeps creeping up. All I think about is my weight - all day everyday. I need professional help because obviously I can’t do this on my own at this point. I’m so scared of rejection so any help would be so soooo appreciated. Thanks guys :).

Just be honest with your doctor. They already know you need their help. If those other diets had worked you wouldn’t be considering surgery.

I was afraid of that too, but I realized that these doctors wouldn't be bariatric surgeons if they didn't believe in the benefits of the surgery. Just be honest, you will be fine. The insurance companies are harder to deal with.

Thank you both for the words of encouragement. I have United Healthcare - my plan allows for the surgery however from what I’m reading, I have to go through 6 months of trying to lose weight on my own? I think that’s what it means? So basically I have to wait until this summer to have the surgery....which sucks to say the least!

Good luck with your journey!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had my first appointment on the Dec. 18 and I was so glad I did. Everything turn out great, now I have a lists of things to do! I should be done with most of my appointment except 2 which will be done by the second week of January. Just remember you'll be on your way feeling good about yourself.😊! Good luck!!

Yes insurance wants you to do a supervised diet to show you tried losing weight. Thankfully mine is only 3 months . Great thing that u are on your way to getting the surgery. Good luck!

Be honest with your Dr. Afterall their specialty is for folks who have tried diet after diet and i am sure they will know when somebody is not being honest. I think that would be the one thing that would prevent you from getting it. Dishonesty as they probably feel that if you could not be honest with them, how are you going to be honest with yourself and make the changes that you need to make after they invest their time and expertise into helping you become a better you. :)

And also it is possible they (your insurance) might accept documentation from your primary care physician for the 6 months. Mine wrote a letter that did that , cited days where we discussed my obesity, how it affected my quality of life, how we had tried non-surgical means of weight control, whether it was lack of meaniful mobility or that my body refused to deplete its fat storage, that I had given the "old college try" and that he felt a surgical intervention would be in my best interest before my body totally broke down from the strain. I was at High Weight of 365, 3 months after my RnY I am 260 with a goal of 175. Since I am older it may take 18 months instead of the year many achieve it in, but I have been given a life extension to do it now. And in the midst of a day where I am gloomy about other things, Christmas, my birthday, insufficent money for my bills and other needs, this still shines brightly. So Keep on Keeping on and I will also!😝❄⛄❄⛅

Happy Birthday!! Don’t be gloomy about your birthday, think of all the additional years of life you now have - and maybe, just maybe - you wouldn’t have gotten to Celebrate this birthday if it hadn’t been for this intervention and getting yourself healthy again! Every day is a blessing and you sound like you are a wonderful soul, with so much to live for! Yes bills have to be paid and ugh don’t they suck! But look at all you have to live for now - so much to look forward to!!!

I pray this doctor allows me to have this surgery. I have some other things going on and I’m just so nervous - I feel like this is my only chance of getting back to a normal weight. Thank you for your kind words they truly mean so much! And best of luck to you!

Honesty is best when it comes to the surgeon. You don't want to keep anything that may be an issue from him. These surgeons have heard it all, I'm sure. It's in their best interest to accept you as a patient and get you going on the program. It is how they make their living after all.

Congrats On Taking The First Step and Best To You On Your Journey!!!!!

On 12/11/2018 at 9:07 PM, HopefulonLI said:

Thank you both for the words of encouragement. I have United Healthcare - my plan allows for the surgery however from what I’m reading, I have to go through 6 months of trying to lose weight on my own? I think that’s what it means? So basically I have to wait until this summer to have the surgery....which sucks to say the least!

im in your boat ! My first apt was Dec 9th my 30th birthday. But now I am in the approval stage. 6 months felt like SO LONG when they told us but it really has flown by.

MY approval went super quick - you should call UHC if you haven’t heard back from them yet. I’m scheduled for my surgery in exactly 2 weeks! I’m so excited and I’m happy for you too - you’re almost there!! :)

We just submitted Wednesday afternoon so I’ll give them a couple days before I call but definitely super excited and for you as well!

It’s super quick. Request to get on your physicians surgery schedule ASAP. For instance, my doc only does surgery on Monday. I probably could have had the surgery already but I started a new job and put if off for a month (ugh not fun to wait!). Keep me posted on how you do - we can turn into hot tamales together! :)