Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sense of Taste Changed hurting the cooks feelings

Since I left the hospital I’ve noticed a big change in the foods I enjoy for their taste and texture. Many of the foods I loved before are no longer appealing to me. Most of them because they don’t taste so good anymore and some make me sick. I have been very good and haven’t been eating bad at all. However, this Last weekend Miss Barbara began her annual Christmas Cookie baking marathon. She made all my old favorites and I decided I could eat half of one cookie each day. Well I’ve taken a bite of each kind she made and surprise! I hate them all. I will have no trouble avoiding them from here on out. I guess that’s a good thing, because my weight problem was primarily caused by my inherited sweet tooth. I’ve dropped 3 more pounds even though my house is full of Cookies and homemade candies. I have not told my Bride that I don’t want to eat her cookies anymore, nor will I...it would break her heart. I’m either going to pretend to eat them or find a way to break it to her without hurting her feelings. Any suggestions?

Be honest. Tell her that your taste buds have changed due to surgery. A supportive partner will understand and be happy with you that you no longer have to worry about eating too many.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

@AFVET

I say, you know your wife best and stick to your guns. It's never good to lie to your spouse, but you don't always have to tell the whole truth either. White lies save marriages. Just tell her you love her Cookies, but you didn't get 80% of your stomach cut out so you could go to town on them--no matter how wonderful they are! Everyone is happy this way! Good luck with everything!!!

P.S.

Endowment Member here. :) Molon Labe brother!!!

Y’all are probably right, she’s been supporting me for 37 years...still it might be said best with flowers.

Brother SteveT74, I too am a Patriot Life Member...Outstanding!

She might be disappointed, but not hurt. Just tell her sweets don't taste the same anymore, and maybe ask if she would please cook up one of your favorite savory, protein-based dishes. The way you speak about your wife is very sweet, I doubt you could hurt her feelings even if you tried.

Y’all are probably right, she’s been supporting me for 37 years...still it might be said best with flowers.
Brother SteveT74, I too am a Patriot Life Member...Outstanding!

Flowers always help! :)

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

This was to sweet to read! LOL You are a very caring person. I'm sure she will understand all the changes you body is going though. This is a life style you both are to learn from going forward together.

On 12/11/2018 at 3:00 PM, AFVet said:

Since I left the hospital I’ve noticed a big change in the foods I enjoy for their taste and texture. Many of the foods I loved before are no longer appealing to me. Most of them because they don’t taste so good anymore and some make me sick. I have been very good and haven’t been eating bad at all. However, this Last weekend Miss Barbara began her annual Christmas Cookie baking marathon. She made all my old favorites and I decided I could eat half of one cookie each day. Well I’ve taken a bite of each kind she made and surprise! I hate them all. I will have no trouble avoiding them from here on out. I guess that’s a good thing, because my weight problem was primarily caused by my inherited sweet tooth. I’ve dropped 3 more pounds even though my house is full of Cookies and homemade candies. I have not told my Bride that I don’t want to eat her Cookies anymore, nor will I...it would break her heart. I’m either going to pretend to eat them or find a way to break it to her without hurting her feelings. Any suggestions?

Ok so I am not the only one! I tried a bit of cookie and omg I had to spit it out! It was terrible. I tried a bite of hubby's cheesecake Tuesday and had to spit it out again lol.... and cheesecake was always my favorite. So gross now. To be fair, I don't really like any food like I did before... which makes me happy really lol. Except eggs, I could totally eat eggs pretty much every day!

I loved chobani greek yogurt before and right after surgery. Now 4 months post and can't stand it. Like Aldi's better lol

2 hours ago, AJP said:

I loved chobani greek yogurt before and right after surgery. Now 4 months post and can't stand it. Like Aldi's better lol

Funny how that works. I filled the fridge with chobani yogurt pre-Surgery took one bite and it was awful. Ended up throwing out what my wife wouldn’t eat. Post surgery that flipped, its now one of only two that I do like and can eat. I’ll have a 3rd to half a cup for Breakfast twice a week.

My husband and 18 year old son are big guys, but I had them beat by 170+ lbs. prior to surgery. Now I am the smallest in my family...tee hee! Feels good! But back to taste buds! I still love to eat as much as ever I did, but not AS MUCH as I used to eat. Big difference. Learning to cook smaller has been a challenge to me and learning to cook different is even more challenging, but I'm taking it on as fun for everyone. I love my family soooo much and their size is, in part, my fault because I was the one who brought the food, habits, and cooking to their plates in the first place. I'm not upset with myself about this in anyway. We all made bad choices and if anything, we let ourselves get fooled, but no more. I can make the most beautiful breads, and Cookies you ever did taste, but not so much anymore for obvious reasons. My taste has changed sooo much too! I love bracing, almost harsh flavors hitting my tongue! Since I can only have at best a 3/4 cup of food, I want every bite to be simply amazing! I'm dragging my family, kicking and screaming sometimes, into my new flavor experiences. I make a wicked good salsa multiple ways now and people ask for it all the time. Its always in my fridge! I keep a beautiful spice garden right on my front porch, new hobby, and I use it daily for my cooking. Tell your wife what's on your mind and instead of flowers to soften the blow, buy her beautiful pots of thyme, rosemary, chives, basil, mint and dill! Try to help her understand that all her lovely cookies and sweeties are divine but really just food for the Gods! You're a man, a husband, who can't have all the sugars, ever again, and you want many many more years with her, healthy, successful, in love and in shape! When something doesn't taste good to my husband, I'd want him to tell me! I want the feed back so I can make it better. Give her a chance. :)

8 minutes ago, BurBur said:

My husband and 18 year old son are big guys, but I had them beat by 170+ lbs. prior to surgery. Now I am the smallest in my family...tee hee! Feels good! But back to taste buds! I still love to eat as much as ever I did, but not AS MUCH as I used to eat. Big difference. Learning to cook smaller has been a challenge to me and learning to cook different is even more challenging, but I'm taking it on as fun for everyone. I love my family soooo much and their size is, in part, my fault because I was the one who brought the food, habits, and cooking to their plates in the first place. I'm not upset with myself about this in anyway. We all made bad choices and if anything, we let ourselves get fooled, but no more. I can make the most beautiful breads, and Cookies you ever did taste, but not so much anymore for obvious reasons. My taste has changed sooo much too! I love bracing, almost harsh flavors hitting my tongue! Since I can only have at best a 3/4 cup of food, I want every bite to be simply amazing! I'm dragging my family, kicking and screaming sometimes, into my new flavor experiences. I make a wicked good salsa multiple ways now and people ask for it all the time. Its always in my fridge! I keep a beautiful spice garden right on my front porch, new hobby, and I use it daily for my cooking. Tell your wife what's on your mind and instead of flowers to soften the blow, buy her beautiful pots of thyme, rosemary, chives, basil, mint and dill! Try to help her understand that all her lovely Cookies and sweeties are divine but really just food for the Gods! You're a man, a husband, who can't have all the sugars, ever again, and you want many many more years with her, healthy, successful, in love and in shape! When something doesn't taste good to my husband, I'd want him to tell me! I want the feed back so I can make it better. Give her a chance. :)

So Beautifully put ❤️

Boy I wish my late Hubby had cared about my feelings that much, he didn't. And please don't think me terrible but I so wish he had sought WLS. He was phyisically bigger than me, and I was not a tiny little speculum myself. He constantly pointed out how ugly, unappealing I was, but I now think innately he repulsed himself, so he took out the loathing on me. I am glad I now had mine, even if it had been almost too late in my life for it. I have to believe the young man I married in 1967, would have been secretly proud, where the man he was emotionally prior to his death would not. People ask if I miss him, I do but not as he was at the end. He was a nasty shrewish individual who accused me of attempting to poison him, found in his papers post-death he had been in the process of dying from hereditary kidney disease for several years, knew it but never told me. Curse you Hipaa, I wish his Doctor had brought me" into the loop", would my love have saved him? Perhaps not, but I could have fed him a diet more kidney friendly, made sure he made nephrology/urology appointments, and I even had a "friend? "tell me If you'd been a better wife he would have told you, it was the only way he found to get away from YOU! Obviously not MY FRIEND, cut him out of my life,but his words were like Acid in My Soul.
Please do give her those herbs, it's a beautiful gesture, they will last longer than cut flowers, and give her the kisses I didn't get and miss now

I wish she would take a break but she won’t...she’s baking for two Sons, daughter-in-law, Grand Children, people in her office, plus I’ll be taking a bunch in to work the Officers and Patrol Agents I work with. I’ll just make sure the Agents get the lions share.