Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recent Post Op Having Issues with Liquids

I'm 3 days post op and supposed to be on full liquids but I'm having trouble getting liquids down....every time I sip then swallow the Water I get a weird pain in my upper chest. Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using BariatricPal mobile app

Try sipping slower, different temperature liquids, different types of liquids

Try doing your liquid with just a teaspoonful, barely let it trickle down, also a barely warm heating pad on your upper tummy to relax the muscles, try warm instead of room temp or cold liquids, and although it sounds counterproductive to what i just said, sugar free POPSICLES. All else fails still notify your surgeon/surgical team, the valve between your esophagus/st9mach could be spasming. Although you're sore I'm sending you a virtual hug anyway!

My surgeon gave me a tiny medicine cup, about 30ml, to sip from. He also told me to stand up rather than sit. Both things made the liquid go down much nicer.

Try doing your liquid with just a teaspoonful, barely let it trickle down, also a barely warm heating pad on your upper tummy to relax the muscles, try warm instead of room temp or cold liquids, and although it sounds counterproductive to what i just said, sugar free POPSICLES. All else fails still notify your surgeon/surgical team, the valve between your esophagus/st9mach could be spasming. Although you're sore I'm sending you a virtual hug anyway!
Thanks for the hug they are always welcome

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the same problem the first I’d say week! Since I was in the hospital for so long I had the nurses there to help me and they brought me warm liquids to ease the muscles, the spasms stopped and was able to do colder things shortly after by tiny sips (almost like few drops) and gradually more over time. Maybe try that... I hope it helps!!

Try warm/hot liquids. I am almost 6 weeks out and still can't tolerate anything cold. It's weird to get used to, but feels good. lol.