Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No change after multiple fills?

Hi guys,

I am starting to get a little worried - I had my band in July, I have since had 4 fills (having my 5th tomorrow). I have a small 10ml band and currently have 6.5ml Fluid in. I have been steadily losing a few pounds since surgery, however I think this is more down to cutting down and eating healthier rather than the band itself. I don't feel restricted, I am still able to eat large portions and weight loss is very slow.

I know everyone is different and some people need a full band to feel the full effects of it etc..but I am just wondering if anyone else is out there that has been through this and felt the same after so many fills? Just want peace of mind that I will get there..eventually!

I am getting married in August next year and need to start dress shopping in the new year...so its getting a bit of a worry not knowing my size/if I was start to lose more rapidly soon etc ARgh!!!

TIA!

xox

27 minutes ago, GastricGirl said:

I think this is more down to cutting down and eating healthier rather than the band itself. I don't feel restricted, I am still able to eat large portions and weight loss is very slow.

Not everyone feels restriction. But this is EXACTLY what the band is doing. By forcing you to eat less and better, THAT is what is causing the weight loss, nothing else. As far as how slow, that's common with the band too. And it's one of the reasons that most surgeon's don't even offer the band anymore. To be honest, it surprises me every time I see a new person getting the band.

I was banded back in 2005, then rebanded in 2012 (slippage). I've never really felt the restriction described by others. I did lose weight, but I think it was mainly from being more active and eating less. That's probably what the band is exactly meant for. A tool. Hopefully you will find your sweet spot!

What is restriction? Or what is it that people believe restriction to be?

Restriction with a band should be about eating smaller portions of healthy food and feeling satisfied afterwards . This can be a hard concept to understand. It is not about feeling full like preband. It is not about the band stopping you eating unhealthy fattening foods because conversely the more fills you have and the tighter your band gets the easier it becomes to choose those unhealthy , non satisfying foods(sliders).

When I got banded back in 2009 everyone used to talk about the sweet spot. That magical point where you would be eating tiny portions of healthy food , losing weight and never be hungry. Well that is like unicorns, it's nice to dream about but it doesn't exist.

Unfortunately the reality with the band is not the same as the marketing. I was told that I wouldn't be hungry, may only want 2 meals a day, would get sick if I ate too much etc. Well I have never only wanted 2 meals a day and would still wake up hungry . As for the throwing up if you eat too much it's more likely to be throwing up if you eat 1 bite of something that today your band decides it doesnt like that it was quite happy with yesterday.

BUT ITS NOT ALL NEGATIVE.

I lost all my excess weight plus more within 6 months of getting my band with very little really effort on my part. I didn't focus on Protein first as in Aus that wasn't a thing. I just tried to eat small portions of healthy foods. Poached egg on toast was a good Breakfast option although most days I could only manage half a slice. My go to food when I wanted something quick and easy was untoasted muesli with greek yogurt - that was a great substitute for lunch or dinner.

So don't go chasing rainbows. Work with your band and don't have it too tight. Realise that the sensations that you get now are your new normal and that the fullness or lack of hunger may be different to what you are expecting them to be.

And don't forget weight loss isn't a race. Slow and steady loss is fine.

Hey

We were banded within a day of each other and looks like we are very similar.

I have lost 47lb so far. I only thank my band for a small amount of it. Massive chunk was pre op diet, and the rest is my new found love of walking. The main thing the band has done for me is make me aware of what I am eating and how much of it for the pure fear of a blockage or slippage etc.

I now have 6.65ml in my 10ml band and before the most recent fill of just 0.4ml, I was feeling absolutely no restriction whatsoever. The tiniest amount topped up has taken me to where I am now. I wouldn't call it the sweet spot, because theres nothing sweet about it but I am definitely at restrictive point and my eating is slower, fewer and far between.

I agree with the previous posters words where the sweet spot doesnt exist and thats because it isn't what the band should really be designed for. We had the band to reduce our food intake but also tackle our hunger which we have gained over the years as a result of our excessive eating and that is exactly what it does.

Work with you band, and if its not pulling its weight, work for it! Make healthy adjustments and the true science of losing weight will prevail until you are feeling some restriction. Move more, eat less...it's that easy and although I know its easier said than done and if you could do it then you would never have needed the band, but then just think of your bank balance. It's like you've bought a brand new car but are refusing to drive it :) You can do this, I'll help you if you need it xx

Great input! It appears to me that anyone undergoing wls should be ready for a huge lifestyle change. It happens in increments, changing long term behaviors.
Best to all who try!