Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

colonoscopy after duodenal switch

Hello! I am 8 months out after my duodenal switch operation, I feel great! but now its time for a colonoscopy I am 51 years old so it's time. Ughhhh anyone have one after operation? If so any concerns? I am little nervous because I don't want them messing anything up concerning this operation. They say they wont know what kind of scar tissue i will have but they will see all that once they do the procedure. The prep will be hard since its hard to take down large amounts of liquids ... but the doctor told me to just take my time and start it earlier that day before . Again Im really nervous, I am just afraid of something getting messed up while they are in there.

I think I'll follow this thread 'cause you bring up something that might trouble me in the future. I actually am not due for colonoscopy until 2022 in theory, since normally it's every 10 years of you're healthy. But alas I was all smooth and uninterrupted the way My GOD created me in September/October 2012, cannot make That Claim anymore, can't I? And with my clouded upper endoscopic history NOW I have more spots than an Appaloosa. I figure it's just a matter of time that one of my myriad of surgeons, and I wonder since Ohio State University Hospital-Wexner Medical Center is a teaching hospital maybe I serve as a BAD EXAMPLE in one or two of the Medical School courses? Long long title but YOU OUGHT see their campus! I swear they have a hospital or section for almost anything Man is prone to develop. My recent hospitalation, I call it incarceration because I Was There for 7 and quarter days, beginning to think I might be there as a Research Dummy, accent on 2nd half, I was in Doan Hall, who was Doan ? IDK, maybe a benefactor with more money than Good Sense? but the main section of the Hospital, where admissions et al is, that's Rhodes Hall, named after James Alan Rhodes one of Ohio' s former( I remember him, actually met him when I was President of Knox County Teen-aged Republicans, a really nice person and had a daughter just my age) maybe I shall win the Piwerball or Mega Millions and endow me a building MYSELF! Hmmn, the Frustr8 Bariatric Patient bulding for the Chronically Bewildered, yep does have a🔔 Ring to it!!!
Anyway a Proctologist or Gastroenterologist is going to get a Bright💡 Idea, "Lets Go Plumb Frustr8' s hind quarters" and it will be Hello Fiber-optic Tube?
My question, the Mag Citrate power cleanser through me, faster, slower, same duration of time or can it not be used at all? Inquiring Future Victim Wants To Know!😱😥😪😭😰

I have read that it is recommended that WLS patients follow a different prep involving pills, maybe you can ask your doctor for that? I kind of wonder, if that is an option, why it isn't offered to everyone, it might encourage more people to get the test.

57 minutes ago, Glamgirl said:

Hello! I am 8 months out after my duodenal switch operation, I feel great! but now its time for a colonoscopy I am 51 years old so it's time. Ughhhh anyone have one after operation? If so any concerns? I am little nervous because I don't want them messing anything up concerning this operation. They say they wont know what kind of scar tissue i will have but they will see all that once they do the procedure. The prep will be hard since its hard to take down large amounts of liquids ... but the doctor told me to just take my time and start it earlier that day before . Again Im really nervous, I am just afraid of something getting messed up while they are in there.

They will be exploring an area that's far away from where the WLS was performed. It's pretty easy, I had it done. The worst part is the colon cleanse the day before. After that, it's a breeze. Good for you. An ounce of prevention.......

I'm going to a different doctor since he is closer to me other than my surgeon... he just told me to go slow. maybe ill ask him about that but he never suggested it.

4 minutes ago, Ed_NW said:

They will be exploring an area that's far away from where the WLS was performed. It's pretty easy, I had it done. The worst part is the colon cleanse the day before. After that, it's a breeze. Good for you. An ounce of prevention.......

Thanks! thats what I was worried about ... them being close tot that area... so you have not had your surgery yet? I heard it's better getting the colonoscopy before weight loss surgery.

40 minutes ago, Glamgirl said:

so you have not had your surgery yet? I heard it's better getting the colonoscopy before weight loss surgery.

I go the 17th for the plumbing rearrangement. :D I had a colonoscopy a few years ago at age 49 (52 now) because of family history of colon cancer. It's a good feeling to get a clean bill of health. I have to get it done regularly whatever that means.

@GlamGirl1967 I've had a couple. The main thing I've found is it takes longer to get cleaned out than a normie so starting earlier is a good idea .

I did the pills the first time but was told no on the second. I think it had to do with possible kidney side effects.

I sent you a PM as well.

50 minutes ago, Postop said:

@GlamGirl1967 I've had a couple. The main thing I've found is it takes longer to get cleaned out than a normie so starting earlier is a good idea .

I did the pills the first time but was told no on the second. I think it had to do with possible kidney side effects.

I sent you a PM as well.

Yes, the same experience on our side (my wife's DS was about a month after yours,) and several in our support group have gone through this and came to much the same conclusion. Things don't get cleaned out quite as readily by the liquid diet, so most do the clear liquid thing for 2-3 days rather than one, and then whatever the bowel prep of the day is the evening/afternoon before.

I haven't heard anything odd happening with the bypass folks, and they are common enough that I would expect the gastroenterologists who typically do these things would know if there were.

With your DS and the typical 100cm common channel, that is a good meter above the colon, so well above where they are scoping (and it shouldn't be a problem if it was, as long as they knew what they were getting into - bypass guys can routinely have endoscopies that go past the anastamosis/stoma from the top end.

I have only had 1 and the prep was horrific. I really felt as though my skin was burnt from all the acidic liquid that was coming out. If I ever have to do another one I will research some kind of numbing agent or really effective barrier cream.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:13 PM, Postop said:

I sent you a PM as well.

oh wow... i am doing it the day before which is today. I did not start early... yesterday I ate a couple bites of pizza but that's it lol .. i just took 2 pills and now I'm drinking the mix and gatorade I sure hope that works for me? I don't eat much anyway so maybe its not much to clean out?

Anyway... I heard the ducolax pills are not good for kidneys too 😕 but one time taking them for this should not be bad , should it?

Now Im kinda worried, I hope i am cleaned out enough since I did not start early. 😕

@Glamgirl I'm sure you'll clean out OK .