Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolute petrified to step foot inside

Ok so don't laugh. I'm 4.5 years post VSG. I lost about 90 lbs, had some regain, had some health issues, had a doctor put me on LCHF eating (keto) and have lost all of that regain. But I never made my initial goal so I have about 25 lbs to go before I'm there.

That same doctor who gave me some ugly health news has ORDERED me to start an exercise regimen. I have a cushy membership to my local Y, which is PLUSH. seriously, very very nice, clean and a huge facility.

Bottom line? I'm absolutely scared to death to go. I've talked with a couple of the trainers, There is only one female, and I need to work with a female for sure. She is decently versed in exercise and fitness but not at all in the metabolic needs of bariatric patents nor anything about LCHF.

I have this really bad fear of being watched, laughed at, etc. Don't know why. Used to be a gym nut many years ago in college. How do I conquer this??

Any suggestions for the gym-phobic??

Can't wait to hear what everyone says, but congrats to you! That is amazing and inspirational!

Soooooo...um, any time I feel embarased and "less than" when I go to a particular place filled with healthy peeps, I imagine all of them sitting on the throne going poopy with their pants on the ground. It's a great equalizer. Pretty impossible to be intimidated by someone who completely takes their pants, socks, and shoes off to poo. :D

Good luck! Go do eeeettt!

you-can-do-eeeet.jpg.a44aa58c85205852423a29c10e10756c.jpg

You are so lucky to have a local Y! I used to drive 45 minutes just to go to one. When you're working with a trainer, you're so focused one-on-one that you really don't have time to notice anyone else. Plus, you never know what they used to look like, either. They could be former weight loss surgery patients, even! Now that I've had surgery, I've opted to set up a home gym so I can look like a half-naked hot mess and do Jillian Michaels DVDs in my underwear, but when I used to go to the gym, I just reminded myself over and over I am only there to get it done and there for me. If I didn't look at anyone else, they weren't looking at me. Kind of like when an iguana closes its eyes to pretend you aren't there.

Aww, I'm sorry you're feeling this way! Just remember that it is all in your head. People at the gym are probably not looking at you and judging you, and even if they are...they're the one with a problem not you. Most people are too preoccupied with themselves at the gym to be looking around and judging other people.

Bottom line: No one has ever experienced growth from being in a place that is comfortable. We must step out of our comfort zones in order to make the most of this life.

Good luck with your future gym endeavors!

As many have said... you just need to suck it up and go. I recommend finding the least popular time to go for the first few trips, to minimize contact with your fellow gym-goers. In most places / at most gyms, this means NOT going first thing in the morning or anytime between 5-7pm. This is when the most serious and focused athletes are there, and I totally understand that they can be intimidating. However, on the flip side... the most serious and focused athletes are worried about getting their workouts done and getting on with their day. They are not noticing you / watching you / gossiping about you. They are focused on their own crap.

Having said that, if you can do in the middle of the day or late at night, it's likely to have a more chill vibe. There's also a HUGE uptick in gym attendance at this time of the year - increasing in December, peaking in January, starting to drop off in February. So it's almost guaranteed you won't be the only newbie in the joint at any given time.

Personally, I'm a serious gym rat (I'm there 8-10 times a week, depending on weather), and I go out of my way to welcome new and lost-looking people. Don't assume that the fit person next to you hasn't been an unfit newbie in the recent past. You're me, just a couple of years removed.

It would be great to take advantage of a YMCA membership, but if that is just too far out of your comfort zone there are some women's only gyms. They usually are very basic, but it's a start.

Join a class at the Y, 20 people doing the same exercise and no one will be paying attention to you.

I know it's easy to feel like everyone is watching you when you're doing something out of your comfort zone, but honestly, no one is watching you when you're at the gym. They're more focused on what they're doing than what you're doing or what you look like. Start with something you feel comfortable doing, like walking on the treadmill. Someone else mentioned this, as well, but go during your gym's quiet times. My gym is very quiet on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.

I feel your pain. My gym is at work, so all my coworkers are there seeing me in my gym clothes and see my total lack of coordination/stamina. Y'know what. They're all focusing on their own workout. So I go. And I feel shlubby and totally out of shape. But only one way to change that is to go. And I do have a trainer there, so I have an appointment. And, at least for me, if I have an appointment to meet someone, I'll go. Good luck.

I e just started back at the gym, and like you I was nervous about the judgement. The people at my gym are so focused on themselves and their workout they don’t have time to judge me 😊

All my life, I felt self conscious.

Through the years, I've realized that EVERYONE is self conscious about something, whether it be a certain body part, general appearance, acne, learning something new, etc......

Most people are judging themselves harder than they judge others. I just keep reminding myself of that and, also, that NO ONE is perfect, we are ALL works in progress. It's an empowering feeling!!

Plus who cares what some judgmental person thinks of me?! I know where I used to be, the struggles to get here, the vigilance to maintain, I choose to be proud of me now, rather than self-conscious!

Friday evenings also tend to be low attendance at the gym. You can do this!

19 hours ago, mi75 said:

Ok so don't laugh. I'm 4.5 years post VSG. I lost about 90 lbs, had some regain, had some health issues, had a doctor put me on LCHF eating (keto) and have lost all of that regain. But I never made my initial goal so I have about 25 lbs to go before I'm there.

That same doctor who gave me some ugly health news has ORDERED me to start an exercise regimen. I have a cushy membership to my local Y, which is PLUSH. seriously, very very nice, clean and a huge facility.

Bottom line? I'm absolutely scared to death to go. I've talked with a couple of the trainers, There is only one female, and I need to work with a female for sure. She is decently versed in exercise and fitness but not at all in the metabolic needs of bariatric patents nor anything about LCHF.

I have this really bad fear of being watched, laughed at, etc. Don't know why. Used to be a gym nut many years ago in college. How do I conquer this??

Any suggestions for the gym-phobic??

Fantastic that you lost your regain. I hope you find your gym comfort zone.