Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Effects of Nutrient Deficiency on Skin

On 12/7/2018 at 10:55 AM, Swanton_Bomb said:

If you have acne, WLS related or not, Spironolactone (prescription, but cheap) can really help. Also, if you are more comfortable with topicals, Aczone (prescription) is absolutely amazing. It brings down redness and inflammation fast and doesn't promote drying or photosensitivity. WAY better than Retin-A or anything like that. It is very expensive but I think it is worth it, and most dermatologists can give you samples and coupons.

Just got off the phone with my surgeon... they said no Spironolactone until 1 year post-op because it's a diuretic. :( I still have 3 weeks left on the topical they gave me, but it isn't really helping. More just keeps springing up.

Just an update on this. Was on erythromycin benzoyl peroxide cream but it didn't do anything. Saw doctor today and he prescribed Aczone and Doxycycline. The Aczone has to be special ordered. $$$! But the acne is still very bad from surgery. It's pretty embarrassing.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Don't take anything dairy with the Doxycycline, it bonds together with it, forms an insoluble salt and you just poop it out. You need it to work not be a stool assistant.💩

9 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Just an update on this. Was on erythromycin benzoyl peroxide cream but it didn't do anything. Saw doctor today and he prescribed Aczone and Doxycycline. The Aczone has to be special ordered. $$$! But the acne is still very bad from surgery. It's pretty embarrassing.

Could the acne possibly be a hormonal type response to the weight loss?

still no bueno. I thought eating better would improve my skin but it wrecked it. lmao. taco bell diet was golden for my skin. 20190121_125916.jpeg 20190121_125922.jpeg

Could the acne possibly be a hormonal type response to the weight loss?
yeah that's what the surgeon thinks. but no idea when it will go away, if at all. this medicine is "supposed" to help. spironolactone is the good oral hormonal one but it's a diuretic and the surgeon said I cant try it for 9 more months.

@mousecat88 DUDE, OUCH!!!! That looks like hormonal acne...brewing from the inside out...this makes me sad :(

5 hours ago, Mel36695 said:

Pure retinoid? Do tell...

Sent from my SM-G892U using BariatricPal mobile app

I should clarify, Not pure as in 100% , that's dangerous levels. It's either .1% or .05% depending on the season. Topical daily Tretinoin cream (Rx)

Edited by GreenTealael

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

I should clarify, Not pure as in 100% , that's dangerous levels. It's either .1% or .05% depending on the season. Topical daily Tretinoin cream (Rx)

I have the tretinoin cream, too. My doc said I don't have "that" type of acne so retinoids won't help. I only had the Retin A from a while back. He said Retin A is for like.. clogged pores/white heads and that kind of thing. I was using the Retin A in desperation before I went to the doctor.

Mine is superficial bacteria and sad, sad hormones. :( I don't get whiteheads though. Just cystic painful lumps or random tiny red dots. I am also now getting jawline acne, but that's from the surgery messing with my hormones apparently.

Edited by mousecat88

On the bright side! I think my insurance covered the Aczone because it was only 35$ for like 2 months worth! Normally it's over 100$. Booya! Should be mailed to me by the end of the week.

I have had those! They hurt. Also no head, but if you squeeze you get Clear Liquids followed by blood. Right? If so, have you tried "clindamycin phosphate topical gel"? Works wonders. I mean 2 days they are gone. Works for boils too. Here's a pic. This is lotion but it comes in a gel tube. Also super super cheap!

I have had those! They hurt. Also no head, but if you squeeze you get Clear Liquids followed by blood. Right? If so, have you tried "clindamycin phosphate topical gel"? Works wonders. I mean 2 days they are gone. Works for boils too. Here's a pic. This is lotion but it comes in a gel tube. Also super super cheap!

Here it is:

I have had those! They hurt. Also no head, but if you squeeze you get clear liquids followed by blood. Right? If so, have you tried "clindamycin phosphate topical gel"? Works wonders. I mean 2 days they are gone. Works for boils too. Here's a pic. This is lotion but it comes in a gel tube. Also super super cheap!

Pic isn't uploading?

I, too, am dealing with terrible skin. My skin was always super sensitive pre-op, so the dermatitis is not particularly new, but the rampant hormonal acne is quite new. And this brutal cold is not helping my skin issues.

I’ve been prescribed spiro and luckily my surgeon hasn’t had an issue with me taking it. Does anyone know how long it takes to work?

I’ve switched to using raw African black soap and aveeno calming moisturizer.. and that has really helped with the dryness and irritation, but hasn’t done much to quell the hormonal acne.