Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating at a bar... a new experience.

So, I went out last Saturday with a friend to a local bar. No, not to drink (although he did). I had been craving a chicken wing and just wanted one wing. Few things to preface this: First off, I *should* still be on puree due to my ulcer and secondly, DO NOT GET OLD BAY ON A WING IF YOU HAVE AN ULCER. Bad times were had. I confessed to my surgeon Tuesday and he said it was fine... but no spice! Derrrr. Anyways, me being a bad patient aside....

Eating out is so weird! I order 6 wings and a cheese plate. I had the one wing and two cheese cubes and I was stuffed. My friend ate 4 stuffed mushrooms, 12 wings, cheese cubes, and some other stuff. The bartender asked me about 6 times if I wanted a drink, even Water, but I kept saying no because I didn't want to risk drinking while eating. Well, then old bay irritated my throat a bit and I wished I had a little sip to wash the spice down. I couldn't stop coughing because the back of my throat got itchy. So, lesson learned... get water... just in case you start choking. lmao.

When I was "done" my solo wing, I asked for boxes. The bartender remarked that he was "wondering how I would eat all that food". In my head I was like "dude... before surgery I would have crushed all of this, had an entree, a dessert, and been about 4 vodka sodas deep soooooo." I imagine eating out is going to be quite a unique experience from now on. My friend got all my leftovers because it would have all gone bad before I could even have made a dent.

Boxes please!

That's funny you mentioned the spice, I learned that fast, no spicy foods before the tummy is completely healed...Now I can tolerate it a little better.

I do still enjoy going out to restaurants, wings are my little cheat food, I can only eat about 1.5 and feel so satisfied, I am not reccommending this but when I go out I do order a small Water and I sip a little while eating because I just can't wait the 30 minutes and I feel stressed trying to follow the rule while out but that's just me and it works for me.

It's trial and error, we still can enjoy life 😉

4 minutes ago, Wanda247 said:

That's funny you mentioned the spice, I learned that fast, no spicy foods before the tummy is completely healed...Now I can tolerate it a little better.

I do still enjoy going out to restaurants, wings are my little cheat food, I can only eat about 1.5 and feel so satisfied, I am not reccommending this but when I go out I do order a small Water and I sip a little while eating because I just can't wait the 30 minutes and I feel stressed trying to follow the rule while out but that's just me and it works for me.

It's trial and error, we still can enjoy life 😉

Even before surgery, I rarely drank while eating... so it wasn't a big deal. Until I started coughing endlessly. lmao. My friend was like... do you... need a sip of my beer. And through tears I was like NO! Haha. Yes, Water required at the table.

I am really, really hoping that in a few months/year I can tolerate a lot of spices and hot sauces. One of my loves is hot sauce... like... carolina reaper death sauce kind of hot sauces. I also love curries and different Indian spices.

3 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Even before surgery, I rarely drank while eating... so it wasn't a big deal. Until I started coughing endlessly. lmao. My friend was like... do you... need a sip of my beer. And through tears I was like NO! Haha. Yes, Water required at the table.

I am really, really hoping that in a few months/year I can tolerate a lot of spices and hot sauces. One of my loves is hot sauce... like... carolina reaper death sauce kind of hot sauces. I also love curries and different Indian spices.

I think that you will, I can tolerate hot sauce at 3 months out but not that stuff that you mentioned LOL

12 minutes ago, Wanda247 said:

I think that you will, I can tolerate hot sauce at 3 months out but not that stuff that you mentioned LOL

I am really hoping the ulcer will be cleared by my next appointment, January 7th. I'll give it another month from there before I test my luck on even mild stuff. I am getting a little tired of being on bland, unseasoned puree. My life is greek yogurt, broths, and cottage cheese. But... if I can conquer 10 weeks of puree, I can do anything. hahaha.

1 minute ago, mousecat88 said:

I am really hoping the ulcer will be cleared by my next appointment, January 7th. I'll give it another month from there before I test my luck on even mild stuff. I am getting a little tired of being on bland, unseasoned puree. My life is greek yogurt, broths, and cottage cheese. But... if I can conquer 10 weeks of puree, I can do anything. hahaha.

You got it!

I get Water just to make the server feel good. They can’t believe someone wouldn’t even want a glass of water with their meal.

My daughter and I both Had a RNY this year. I love Going out to eat because we can share a meal. We got a 6oz steak this week at Black Angus. It was the perfect size for us to share.

I get Water just to make the server feel good. They can’t believe someone wouldn’t even want a glass of Water with their meal.
My daughter and I both Had a RNY this year. I love Going out to eat because we can share a meal. We got a 6oz steak this week at Black Angus. It was the perfect size for us to share.
I feel this! My mother and I both have the sleeve (done years apart though). We went out to eat about a week ago, ordered an appetizer, split it, and still had enough left over for my mom to bring some back for my younger sister to eat.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

So, I went out last Saturday with a friend to a local bar. No, not to drink (although he did). I had been craving a chicken wing and just wanted one wing. Few things to preface this: First off, I *should* still be on puree due to my ulcer and secondly, DO NOT GET OLD BAY ON A WING IF YOU HAVE AN ULCER. Bad times were had. I confessed to my surgeon Tuesday and he said it was fine... but no spice! Derrrr. Anyways, me being a bad patient aside....

Eating out is so weird! I order 6 wings and a cheese plate. I had the one wing and two cheese cubes and I was stuffed. My friend ate 4 stuffed mushrooms, 12 wings, cheese cubes, and some other stuff. The bartender asked me about 6 times if I wanted a drink, even Water, but I kept saying no because I didn't want to risk drinking while eating. Well, then old bay irritated my throat a bit and I wished I had a little sip to wash the spice down. I couldn't stop coughing because the back of my throat got itchy. So, lesson learned... get water... just in case you start choking. lmao.

When I was "done" my solo wing, I asked for boxes. The bartender remarked that he was "wondering how I would eat all that food". In my head I was like "dude... before surgery I would have crushed all of this, had an entree, a dessert, and been about 4 vodka sodas deep soooooo." I imagine eating out is going to be quite a unique experience from now on. My friend got all my leftovers because it would have all gone bad before I could even have made a dent.

Boxes please!

To me, it is always easier to just get the Water and not drink it...no questions asked (or repeatedly asked!).

I feel like I am going to start leaving like 40% tips for ordering one small cheap thing and using up one of their tables that they could be making more money on. lol.