Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issues with Mucus Buildup Possibly??

Hi Everybody, I'm 4 weeks post op and still working through my soft mechanical diet and have had a couple instances lately where after two or three bites of a meal feeling full and becoming sick to the point of vomiting. Not to be gross here but what I see if very little food but large quantities of mucus coming up. Afterwards if I wait for a little bit I have no issues finishing my meal.

My provider told me to start Claritin ready tabs tomorrow to see if it's coming from allergies but wondering if anybody else has had a similar issue and how you might have addressed it.

Thank you

Sounds like the foamies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

One way to tell is the Foamies is more slippery silky loose and clear vs thick firm yellow green globs of regular Mucus

Safe Journey 🎈

Oh gosh I remember this so well from my lapband days. I would eat something that didn't agree with me and then gooey salivery throw up. What the heck body, where did all this goo come from???

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

6 hours ago, ummyasmin said:

Oh gosh I remember this so well from my lapband days. I would eat something that didn't agree with me and then gooey salivery throw up. What the heck body, where did all this goo come from???

Yep, I have often wondered how my body is able to produce that much saliva, especially when at the time it was impossible to drink

Ummmm....explain "foamies", por favor :blink::325_sparkles:
I think it's a bypass thing. I personally have never experienced it as a sleever but have read about it on here multiple times. Not sure about the science behind it but it has something to do with your new anatomy being upset because you ate something you couldn't tolerate or ate too fast. I'm sure there are some bypassers around who can explain it better.

It also seems that people who have lap band experience it also

It's your body's way of trying to lubricate the food so whatever is stuck will go down.

28 minutes ago, Oct517 said:

I think it's a bypass thing. I personally have never experienced it as a sleever but have read about it on here multiple times. Not sure about the science behind it but it has something to do with your new anatomy being upset because you ate something you couldn't tolerate or ate too fast. I'm sure there are some bypassers around who can explain it better.

I've had the Foamies.

I'm a Unicorn.

31 minutes ago, ummyasmin said:

It's your body's way of trying to lubricate the food so whatever is stuck will go down.

Ohhhhh ok, back in the old LapBand days I remember folks calling it “sliming”...yucks! LOL

Ohhhhh ok, back in the old LapBand days I remember folks calling it “sliming”...yucks! LOL
That's the one!!

My understanding is the “foamies” come from your food getting stuck, eating too much, etc and your natural saliva has no were to go. Happened to me two nights ago and I threw up for the first time (3.5 weeks post RNY). It’s a major negative reinforcement I can tell you that! I get extreme pain behind my right shoulder into the front right side of my chest and it freakin hurts but twenty minutes of constant pacing around the house and it goes away. I couldn’t imagine trying to drink anything during one of these events.

It used to happen to me once in a while before wls. Mainly when I was trying eat a sandwich while working or eating plain meat. Then it happened twice at restaurants while eating moist food unhurriedly. I found out after surgery that I had a hernia on my diaphragm (pulling my stomach into my chest) that the surgeon repaired. I wonder if that is what caused it.